Author Topic: Airman Suing U.S. Airforce for Re-enlistment Oath  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Airman Suing U.S. Airforce for Re-enlistment Oath
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:39 pm »
An atheist Airman is prepared to take the U.S. Air Force to court because he cannot re-enlist without saying "so help me God."  The unidentified Technical Sergeant drew a line through the phrase of his re-enlistment packet, but the packet was rejected by his superiors.  He was told he must say those words or be forced out.  Other branches in the U.S. Armed forces do not require the service member to hold or profess a belief in any deity or deities.  The Air Force made a revision in October 2013 stating that the Airman or potential Airman must state those words.

As a Christian and service member myself, I find what the Air Force is doing is wrong.  Why would you make a person profess a belief in something s/he doesn't believe in?  How would them not saying, "so help me God," make their oath any less than a person who believes in a God?  How would you like it if you were to profess to any belief other than your own?  In my time in service, I have met many people of different faiths or lack thereof, and I can tell you that you usually wouldn't be able to distinguish what religious/spiritual belief the soldier/sailor/airman/marine had from how they appeared in uniform or performed.  I only say usually because of chaplains and some service members wearing things such as a kippah (yarmulke).

I knew of the stranglehold that Fundamentalist Christianity had on the Air Force Academy in Colorado.  I wasn't aware that the Air Force made this regulation in October of 2013.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Airman Suing U.S. Airforce for Re-enlistment Oath
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:35:18 pm »
Ooh, this is going to drum up some hate from conservatives.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:16 pm »
This is a blatant violation of the Constitution.  Of course, there are certain individuals who don't care about that.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:59:17 pm »
Having "In God We Trust" as our national motto is a blatant violation of the constitution, too. Most people just don't care.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:43:59 am »
Quote from: Unites States Constitution
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Having to take an oath in this manner is unconstitutional.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:08 am »
Yeah that's from the Constitution alright.

Ironbite-BUT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE ARMED FORCES!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:27:49 am »
Aren't they covered under "public trust"?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 03:39:57 am »
False alarm guys, turns out that separation of church and state does not mean that church and state should be separated:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/billflax/2011/07/09/the-true-meaning-of-separation-of-church-and-state/

Also, based on several comments on the web concerning this case demanding that soldiers swear to "God" is not a religious test. And even if it were it does not matter since the founding fathers created USA as "One nation under GOD!" at the beginning of time when Jesus was born in america. Or something like that, reading is a bit difficult when you have to smash your face against the desk...

There was one rather good comment about this in /k/

For a bunch of strict interpretation Constitutionalists, you guys are pretty fucking hypocritical of the armed forces

>The Constitution protects my rights to own guns because that's what it says

>I don't care if The Constitution says that religion can't be incorporated into government decisions; they're just words and aren't even a big deal
    >just words
    >not a big deal

IT'S ONLY YOUR FIRST FUCKING AMENDMENT RIGHTS YOU ASS BACKWARD RETARDS

How the fuck do you expect any of us to gain traction in the fight to regain our gun rights when you're all spouting self-contradictory religious mantras?

There is a lot of overlap in the pro-GUNNNSZ and AW-LARDY-JAYSUZZZZ crowds. Probably because Republicans are commonly more pro-gun and pro-christian than Democrats. If democrats would manage to win one of those crowds that would cause an amusing split in the right wing USA.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:04:12 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
I just do not see why a fundie Christian would even want a dirty atheist swearing an oath to God. That just taints the meaning and importance of the oath because it is just meaningless window dressing to someone who doesn't believe. They would have an aneurysm if a Muslim said so help me Jesus, and collectively they do have aneurysms over defiling the sanctity of marriage which isn't even an institution they can lay exclusive claim to. This should be no different, but for some reason it is.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:17 pm »
Me, I'd just say the oath. But I'm kind of a coward like that.

Though from a certain perspective, one could say that since the oath is so meaningless to him, and so apparently important to them, he might as well toss it off. Not like it binds him at all anyway. Like if I made a contract with a popcorn fairy.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »
It's more  symbolic I think.

Plus, the oath might still hold meaning to him as a pledge of loyalty.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:47 pm »
I understand where the sergeant is coming from, and I hope he prevails.  As a matter of expediency I would simply slur the word "God" and go about my day.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:35:43 am »
The thing is that those who say that atheists should just say the word God and be done with it want soldiers/airmen who are willing to lie. They are saying that the very entrance (or re-enlisting as is the case in this particular one) oath they make is something they are allowed to lie in.

Which is the total opposite of swearing to God. The point in this much like when swearing on a bible or other religious books is that it is symbolical but the symbolism is that by swearing to/on something that you value highly you make that oath more meaningful as betraying it would mean disgracing that X that you value so much.

Which is why, for example, rather than asking catholic person to swear to Flying Spaghetti Monster you ask them to swear to God or on a bible (catholic version of course.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 01:53:45 am »
I just think that if they really want him to swear to God, knowing that he's an atheist and that his oath will be essentially meaningless... if I were in his position, I'd just cave and do it. Then again, I'm obviously not as brave as this guy is.

Standing up against the Right-Wing Hate Machine is about the bravest thing a soldier can do.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:20 am »
I say we get our male servicemen to swear on their dicks.  Every cis-male values their dick...many times, above and beyond all else.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.