Author Topic: FBI don't need no stinking warrants!  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
FBI don't need no stinking warrants!
« on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:11 am »
Link

Justice Department decides it's totes fine if government institutions hack into foreign servers without warrants if they suspect illegal activity, then have the gall to get all pissy when Google and Apple say they're gonna encrypt iOS and Android by default

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: FBI don't need no stinking warrants!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:02:27 am »
Just when you think our government can't get any more pants-on-head retarded.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:05:20 am »
Well, the US once classified cryptography as munitions, sooooo...yeah.  Guv'mint don't undahstand no teknologee.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:18 am »
In fairness, this seems like it may be a legal gray area.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:48 am »
...HOW THE FUCK IS HACKING INTO SERVERS WITHOUT ANY KIND OF LEGAL WARRANT OR APPROVAL ON A GRAY AREA!?

Just because those servers are in a different country it does not mean that you don't need warrant. If it is legal at all you would either need a warrant from the authorities of that country or a permission from the owners/controllers of those servers.

Are you the kind of guy who says that it is perfectly ok for USA to assassinate foreign citizens if the president says so? (USA did write that into her laws...)

This is nothing less than espionage by a foreign country.

Oh for the love of L Ron Hubbard! If North Korea wrote a law saying that Kim can approve hacks into FBI servers would that suddenly be ok or "on a grey area?"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:32 am »
...HOW THE FUCK IS HACKING INTO SERVERS WITHOUT ANY KIND OF LEGAL WARRANT OR APPROVAL ON A GRAY AREA!?

Just because those servers are in a different country it does not mean that you don't need warrant. If it is legal at all you would either need a warrant from the authorities of that country or a permission from the owners/controllers of those servers.

Are you the kind of guy who says that it is perfectly ok for USA to assassinate foreign citizens if the president says so? (USA did write that into her laws...)

This is nothing less than espionage by a foreign country.

Oh for the love of L Ron Hubbard! If North Korea wrote a law saying that Kim can approve hacks into FBI servers would that suddenly be ok or "on a grey area?"
I never said I agreed with this.  And Apple and Google have every right to shield themselves from hacking.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
No, you said that this is a "gray area" and I want to know what in this entire scenario is somehow ambigious.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
No, you said that this is a "gray area" and I want to know what in this entire scenario is somehow ambigious.

Okay, maybe I was wrong in calling it a "legal" gray area.  But espionage is a complicated issue.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:36:40 pm »

Okay, maybe I was wrong in calling it a "legal" gray area.  But espionage is a complicated issue.

Everyone does it to everyone else. Intelligence organizations wouldn't be doing their most important job without engaging in foreign espionage. Turning around and saying it's bad when foreign countries spy on us is just childish.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:01 am »
Most of the espionage is done legally.

My problem is that USA is trying to justify things they do by claiming "it is legal when WE do it."

Like, I could declare that it is totally ok for me to punch that dickhead who lives next door. And that he would have no right to retaliate because what I did was "totally ok."

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51:22 am »

My problem is that USA is trying to justify things they do by claiming "it is legal when WE do it."

Like, I could declare that it is totally ok for me to punch that dickhead who lives next door. And that he would have no right to retaliate because what I did was "totally ok."
Yeah, even though they deserve it I don't think punching Russia in the head would go over too well for you guys.  ;)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:17 am »
What's the EU have to say about that, doesn't that sort of thing normally get them rather miffed?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:54 am »

Espionage is by definition illegal (just about everywhere has an Espionage Act or some such). The only reason people get away with it is they always have diplomatic immunity. Anyone without it is deemed an illegal agent, and we don't use them much any more. Very risky!
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:28 am »

Espionage is by definition illegal (just about everywhere has an Espionage Act or some such). The only reason people get away with it is they always have diplomatic immunity. Anyone without it is deemed an illegal agent, and we don't use them much any more. Very risky!

...No.

You see most of the information that an intellegence agency needs can be obtained legally. This is why there are analysts that go through all that information and add the data and make estimates of the things that are classified and can not be easily found legally.

It is true that diplomatic immunity can be used to help the "illegal" part of intellegence agencies to work but unlike James Bond movies imply most of the espionage/intellegence work can be done without breaking national/international laws. (Also, there are a lot less gunfights, beatiful women, car chases and gunfighs with beautiful women than the movies imply. The jury is still out wether or not secret agents drink Heineken like James Bond does.)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 08:35:16 am »

...No.

You see most of the information that an intellegence agency needs can be obtained legally. This is why there are analysts that go through all that information and add the data and make estimates of the things that are classified and can not be easily found legally.

It is true that diplomatic immunity can be used to help the "illegal" part of intellegence agencies to work but unlike James Bond movies imply most of the espionage/intellegence work can be done without breaking national/international laws. (Also, there are a lot less gunfights, beatiful women, car chases and gunfighs with beautiful women than the movies imply. The jury is still out wether or not secret agents drink Heineken like James Bond does.)

Well, I mean, it depends on what you mean by "espionage" doesn't it? If you just mean defence-related research, sure you might well have the odd guy reading Jane's or what have you and he might well pick up something useful. And, of course, you've got Sigint. But if you want a classified document or a name or to run a double-agent you're breaking a law and you'd better have diplomatic immunity when you're caught. Basically anything MI6 does is probably illegal. Everything the CIA does is illegal. That's typically what most people mean by espionage.

Please note: we don't run illegal agents any more. They're all Cultural attaches or Defence under-secretaries or cleaners or whatever.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR