Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 272101 times)

Even Then

Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2017, 05:47:37 pm »
Isn't this an alternate history game anyway? They're whinging about "historical inaccuracy" in a game whose entire premise is a historical inaccuracy, lol.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2017, 05:54:35 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VjfKxlO-QA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VjfKxlO-QA</a>

Too many black people!?! White genocide!! Erasure of proud European history!! REEEEEEE!!!!!

...Seriously though, I don't really see a reason to cry over this. There were people of non-European descent involved in the war, at this point he (and the many other idiots on the net) are crying because the percentage of non-whites is wrong. ...Which among the lesser historical inaccuracies in the game and this "40% of British soldiers seem to be black" would only be true if the multiplayer classes were claimed to be an exact representation of the ethnicities in the army. Instead it could just be that the game focuses on specific units and people. Also, complaining because this is a game (one of very few) where you "have to" play a black person is just yet another example of how some people only realize how important representation is when they themselves suffer from it. I don't remember people complaining that they couldn't play a black transwoman in Battlefield 3 for example.

Gotta say, it wasn't as bad as I feared from the clickbait title.

I don't see much of a problem with diversifying WWI armies. The token black German exempted, it doesn't strain credulity for me (though tbf, I've never been a history buff). It may not be historically accurate, but it's hardly immersion-breaking.

I also disagree with his argument that DICE has an obligation to accurately portray the ethnic makeup of WWI armies. Were they using historical figures, I'd agree with him. Were they billing the game as historically accurate, I'd also agree with him. But AFAIK, all the playable characters were created for the game, and it makes no pretenses of being a documentary.

Not to mention how he contradicts himself. Right on the heels of his claim that it's an insult to the memory of those who fought and died, he says people shouldn't learn history from pop culture. So... which is it? Does DICE have a moral obligation towards accuracy, or should people be expected to find the truth for themselves?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
There were afro-germans fighting in WWI - Most of the major players, the UK, France and Germany had black Soldiers. It was the rather unsurprising result of the colonialism that helped trigger the war in the first place.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #768 on: February 20, 2017, 09:01:35 pm »
There were afro-germans fighting in WWI - Most of the major players, the UK, France and Germany had black Soldiers. It was the rather unsurprising result of the colonialism that helped trigger the war in the first place.

How many Afro-Germans fought in Europe, though? Considering the Allied blockade of the Central Powers, I don't think they could bring in more than a handful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #769 on: February 20, 2017, 09:20:54 pm »
Even if it were only a handful that shouldn't strain the credulity of the token afro-german, should it? The reality is that there were afro-germans fighting in Europe in WWI..

Would your credulity be strained by a character that was a black samurai? Was it strained when Tom Cruise was the 'last Samurai' ? Would it surprise you to know that there was a black 'samurai'?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #770 on: February 20, 2017, 10:02:12 pm »
Even if it were only a handful that shouldn't strain the credulity of the token afro-german, should it? The reality is that there were afro-germans fighting in Europe in WWI..

Would your credulity be strained by a character that was a black samurai? Was it strained when Tom Cruise was the 'last Samurai' ? Would it surprise you to know that there was a black 'samurai'?

Wait, there was?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #771 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »
Well, yeah. Haven't you ever heard of Jerome Gerapusoda?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »

Wait, there was?
Yup.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »

Wait, there was?
Yup.

Wow. Guess truth really is stranger than fiction.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:03 am »
There were also black vikings. ...And at least one native American woman was brought back to Europe by vikings because her descendants still live in Norway.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33:20 am »
I'll let my favorite Mark Twain quite summarize this "Truth Is Stranger than Fiction, But It Is Because Fiction Is Obliged to Stick to Possibilities; Truth Isn’t"

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:52 am »
We seem to all be hopping on this tangent that Lana "I'm as sharp as a pillow" Reverse wants us to go down... Now, Lana, what were you saying about black people being used in vidya games?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:35:47 am by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2017, 08:30:28 am »
Also if having the exact historical proportions of people from specific ethnic groups is important does this mean you also oppose whitewashing or is it only a problem if there aren't enough white people?

Like did you protest the latest Potter film because it showed a pretty white Harlem?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:27 am »
Also if having the exact historical proportions of people from specific ethnic groups is important does this mean you also oppose whitewashing or is it only a problem if there aren't enough white people?

Like did you protest the latest Potter film because it showed a pretty white Harlem?

I explicitly said that it wasn't.

I don't see much of a problem with diversifying WWI armies. The token black German exempted, it doesn't strain credulity for me (though tbf, I've never been a history buff). It may not be historically accurate, but it's hardly immersion-breaking.

I also disagree with his argument that DICE has an obligation to accurately portray the ethnic makeup of WWI armies. Were they using historical figures, I'd agree with him. Were they billing the game as historically accurate, I'd also agree with him. But AFAIK, all the playable characters were created for the game, and it makes no pretenses of being a documentary.

If you want to criticize me, fine, go ahead. But please don't make things up.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #779 on: February 21, 2017, 04:21:31 pm »

I explicitly said that it wasn't.

If you want to criticize me, fine, go ahead. But please don't make things up.

No you said you don't have much of a problem which means you have some problem. However you imply that if it were 'immersion-breaking' then you would have a problem. Personally it is immersion breaking to me that none of the playable characters are squirrels. Like fuck! we were there man.