Author Topic: Gender bent super heroes  (Read 11122 times)

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
Gender bent super heroes
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:57 am »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/abrams/gender-bent-justice-league-illustrated

Is this a new fad? This is probably the half dozenth picture like this I've stumbled across on twitter, lj, or tumblr in the last week alone.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Gender bent super heroes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:18:50 am »
nuh uh. It's been a thing forever.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:49 am »
I know it's been around forever (being a semi-common plot device in fan fics), but previously I would see it in tiny doses. Now I'm running smack into it on all my social sites. I just wanted to know if I missed a memo or something.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:36 am »
It might be you're just noticing it more. Like how I didn't notice transphobic comments that much until I figured out I was trans myself. Not sure why you'd suddenly notice gender-bending characters but there ya go. :P

But no... I don't think it's suddenly becoming a surge in popularity. I myself haven't seen anything to suggest it.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:59 am »
Earth-11.  A parallel DC universe where all characters who have a physical gender are of the opposite gender from their Earth-Prime versions.

(Personally, I wanna see what Earth-11 Darkseid looks like.  Also, would "Alexis" Luthor be bald, I wonder?) ;)

</thread>
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:58:57 am by Rat of Steel »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:45 am »
Lady Superman is hot.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »
And here I was thinking this was about Whateley Academy.
Σא

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
Earth-11.  A parallel DC universe where all characters who have a physical gender are of the opposite gender from their Earth-Prime versions.

(Personally, I wanna see what Earth-11 Darkseid looks like.  Also, would "Alexis" Luthor be bald, I wonder?) ;)

</thread>

Don't forget Zelda characters. :3
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:08 am »
I figured it out. I added several new people to my twitter feed within the last week and a few of them love to post this sort of thing.

Though, if we're being honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of it. It would be amusing if the mainstream got progressive enough that it became popular.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
Why do we need a gender bent Green Lantern?  We've got female  Lanterns already.  Of almost all the colors.

Ironbite-that angers me.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:41:07 am »
I figured it out. I added several new people to my twitter feed within the last week and a few of them love to post this sort of thing.

Though, if we're being honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of it. It would be amusing if the mainstream got progressive enough that it became popular.

See? There ya go. :P

&

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:20 am »
Why do we need a gender bent Green Lantern?  We've got female  Lanterns already.  Of almost all the colors.

Ironbite-that angers me.

Those female Lanterns, though, would be altogether different characters.  That wouldn't be consistent with the theme of opposite-gender versions of the usual characters.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 01:40:29 pm »

Ironbite-that angers me.

Because those lanterns are now male, of course.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »

Ironbite-that angers me.

I have no idea why that made me think of this:

If a gay male characters is thrown into a gender bend situation is she now heterosexual or has she become a lesbian?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »

Ironbite-that angers me.

I have no idea why that made me think of this:

If a gay male characters is thrown into a gender bend situation is she now heterosexual or has she become a lesbian?

That depends: is it simply that their bodies have been transformed but their minds are still the same or is this an "alternate-universe" version of the character.

If it's that their bodies were transformed then their orientation/attractions might be the same as before. Unless if their new bodies/brain-chemistry somehow affect them. It is not unreasonable to assume that they would be messed up or at least weirded out by the experience.

If these are a different version of the characters then all bets are off. If we are dealing with unlimited number of alternate realities then we have to assume that in different alternate universes instead of batman there might be lesbian-batwoman, hetero-batwoman or bi-batwoman. Also, infinite amount of worlds filled with nothing but lesbian batwomen! (And infinite amount of world filled with just cupcakes or chairs but that is less interesting.)

ps. I suggest reading El Goonish Shive http://egscomics.com/ for all your gender bending needs. (Also it is a great comic and the artwork improves greatly during the years.)

pps. In EGS due to the way their transformation gun works a person who has been transformed to the opposite gender will be attracted to the opposite sex of their "current" gender (this effect is temporary and was implemented either to help them adjust to their new body or just for fun) so a gay man turned into a woman would still be only attracted to men.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!