Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 121709 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:24 pm »
I also forgot to mention that when I ordered House of Leaves, Amazon reccommended a book called, "The story of her holding an orange."  Since I had some $ from a b-day gift card, I ordered both.  The "Orange" book is short, only about 100 pages, but interesting and creepy in its own way.  Basically, a guy from Bosnia travels to the U.S., only to be pursued by a mysterious woman who keeps trying to offer him an orange.  This may not seem creepy in itself, but she always seems to know exactly where he is, even when he leaves the country.  She shows up outside his bedroom window, at the store he visits, and even on the balchony of the hotel where he stays.  And each time, she calmly tells him it's his time to take the orange. 

It's a strange little book, but I rather enjoyed it.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »
Finished Game of Thrones, and moved on to Clash of Kings. I'm finding that Stannis' story is much more interesting in the book than it is in the show. I've only seen the first two seasons, though, so maybe it picked up in season 3. Of course, it probably helps that the book actually has the ability to dwell on explanations of the plot and expand on the characters, which makes the story a lot easier to follow. It's more enjoyable when you actually know who the hell everyone is, and why they're loyal to each faction/making a claim to various crowns.

(click to show/hide)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »
Blood Meridian. Just unbelievably great. McCarthy is a properly good writer.

Ironically, I only picked it up because Nicholas Sparks made a point of knocking it in an interview I once read of his. He was completely wrong as always. An utterly worthless person, that.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #363 on: June 01, 2014, 12:38:38 am »
Found a free epub with the collected works of Lovecraft, read through some of his earlier stories.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2014, 08:11:07 am »
Just read the Hunger Games trilogy. Eh is all I can really say. The first two books were decent enough, the third was mediocre at best, the ending was highly unsatisfying and that stupid love triangle really outstayed its welcome. Overall though, it was alright for what it was.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:49 am »
"The Protector's War", the second book in S. M. Stirling's Change series. Short version: Something radically alters the laws of physics such that nothing we rely on for modern life works anymore. Electricity no longer flows through metal in any controllable way, explosives still burn, but no longer explode, even steam engines don't work due to something drawing off the energy produced by the pressure. The series follows a few different groups of survivors as they adapt to a world literally thrown back to Dark Ages levels of technology.

Unlike most books in this genre, Stirling actually has characters investigate and try to figure out what caused the Change; there are hints that it was either God/s or Sufficiently Advanced Aliens deciding we needed to be knocked down a few pegs, but nothing definite yet.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #366 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:59 pm »
Just finished the Broken Empire trilogy.  Very dark and brutal (to the extent that it makes A Song of Ice and Fire seem like Robin Hood and his Merrie Men in parts), but well worth the read.  If you're into grimdark, that is.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #367 on: July 01, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »
I just started Neuromancer, broke down and bought the ebook after I realized I'm probably not going to see the copy I bought and promptly lent to someone else.. In any case, it's too soon to say what I think of it yet, the first chapter was... slow, but it's really starting to pick up now, so I think I like it so far!

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »
Rereading the Dresden Files up through Cold Days, because I just ordered Skin Game on Amazon.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
Finished Game of Thrones, and moved on to Clash of Kings. I'm finding that Stannis' story is much more interesting in the book than it is in the show. I've only seen the first two seasons, though, so maybe it picked up in season 3.

It didn't really.  Although...

(click to show/hide)

I haven't read the books though (apart from the 1st one) and season 5 has only just started filming (without me so far :( ) so I don't know where Stannis' story is heading.  Assuming the show's version even stays the same as the book's.

Ser Davos is more interesting than Stannis anyway imo.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:39:47 pm by Katsuro »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:42 am »
Just finished reading Fool Moon, the second book of the Dresden Files series. It was rather enjoyable, I have to say. However.
(click to show/hide)

In any case, I'm now reading The Expanse. So far a few chapter into Leviathan Wakes and it seems most like a sci-fi version of A Song of Ice and Fire. Not only that, but the author seems to understand how real spacecraft fly. Needless to say, I'm enjoying it greatly.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:23 am »
Finished Game of Thrones, and moved on to Clash of Kings. I'm finding that Stannis' story is much more interesting in the book than it is in the show. I've only seen the first two seasons, though, so maybe it picked up in season 3.

It didn't really.  Although...

(click to show/hide)

I haven't read the books though (apart from the 1st one) and season 5 has only just started filming (without me so far :( ) so I don't know where Stannis' story is heading.  Assuming the show's version even stays the same as the book's.

Ser Davos is more interesting than Stannis anyway imo.

Yeah, Davos is cool, though again much more interesting in the books.

I was a bit disappointed that season 4 didn't include the epilogue from the end of the third book.
(click to show/hide)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #372 on: July 19, 2014, 09:27:52 am »
Just finished Neuromancer. That was... weird. Being a very early (if not the first) depiction of cyberspace as a concept, it's somehow both more and less abstract than what I'm used to, if that makes sense. I liked it.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #373 on: July 19, 2014, 11:23:07 am »
I was a bit disappointed that season 4 didn't include the epilogue from the end of the third book.
(click to show/hide)

I've heard they're skipping the Stoneheart storyline entirely.
Σא

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #374 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »
Just finished The Way of Kings. First thing I've read by Brandon Sanderson, and I have to say it was really good. I can't wait to pick up the next book in the series.