Author Topic: TB Outbreak in Florida - Public Health Officials keep it quiet  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: TB Outbreak in Florida - Public Health Officials keep it quiet
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:53 pm »
Revolution!

Too soon?
Too late, if you ask me.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »
:-/

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:28 pm »
I work for the Florida Department of Health.  I don't work in Duval County, I work in Polk.  Polk is a large county and our Epidemiology department is a whole three people.  Use to be a few more, but so were a lot of departments.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:50 am »
So the poor, the most likely to be wandering the streets in contact with EVERYONE have a TB outbreak and they just cover it up?  Even looking past the evil bastard layer of it, that's just plaing fucking stupid.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:29 am »
I hate to be Buzz Killington, but is Iranian State Media really the best source???

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:47 am »
I hate to be Buzz Killington, but is Iranian State Media really the best source???

What?

Regardless:

Are there any other sources to this?

Yeah. There are a few others.

There's lots of sources on this.  I just didn't think I needed more than one article to post from.

The huffington post article was where I first heard about it, but when I went searching for it again on the site, I had trouble finding it, so I just googled it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »
so if there is ever a zombie apocalypse (or just an old fasioned epidemic) now we know how the Floridian government will handle it.
Ignore it until it affects the "important" people.

Yes I can't see how that could have any negative consequences whats so ever..

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »
so if there is ever a zombie apocalypse (or just an old fasioned epidemic) now we know how the Floridian government will handle it.
Ignore it until it affects the "important" people.

Yes I can't see how that could have any negative consequences whats so ever..

Thank God that most of the zombies would be taken down by crocks, because Florida's containment policy sucks.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »
Ah thanks. Got a bit suspicious at PressTV there. Or maybe I've just been hanging out at r/conspiratard too much.

Justified. If Press TV said water is wet, I'd still want it confirmed elsewhere.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
Wasn't aware that Press TV was such a controversial source.

Regardless, there's other news sites reporting this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »
There is something seriously wrong when a fatal, highly infectious disease isn't dealt with at the first signs of outbreak.  People die of TB!  Especially the new, drug-resistant strains!

Oh fuck.  It's springing up in Miami, too?

OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 05:18:19 pm »
I saw it in print so it must be true?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 03:19:52 am »
There is something seriously wrong when a fatal, highly infectious disease isn't dealt with at the first signs of outbreak.  People die of TB!  Especially the new, drug-resistant strains!

Oh fuck.  It's springing up in Miami, too?

OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK

TB is not as lethal or infectious as you seem to be panicking about. If you are a generally healthy individual you should have nothing to fear. TB is a very resilient bacterium which is why it is difficult to treat as well as how it manages to survive outside the body and spread so easily. However that resilience comes at the cost of it having trouble replicating. If your immune system is in good order it will probably wipe out the TB infection before any symptoms being to manifest. On the other hand if your immune system is not in peak condition, then it has more time before your body reacts and as a result can become an entrenched infection.

Also although people do die from TB the actual deaths to infection ratio is pretty small. It is very similar to pneumonia is that it is lethal if left untreated, but you still probably wont die from it easily. It is however an infection that sticks and is very difficult to treat. Further the medicine for treating TB generally makes you feel worse than if you were not taking the medicine (this is doubly true for the drug resistant strain treatment), so as a result many TB infected people stop taking their TB medicine, making the situation significantly worse. Add to that the fact that the people who generally get infected cant afford proper treatment or the downtime caused by the infection and it starts becoming a serious problem.

The part that I am wondering about is how long will it be before the Florida health department has to start taking measures similar to those in Africa to treat all the people who are becoming infected. It has already spread beyond containment so from here on its just going to grow in the number of cases all of which will basically be paid by the state to cure because the people themselves are too poor to afford their own treatment.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 12:23:52 pm »
Revolution!

Too soon?

Ron Paul Revolution?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal