Author Topic: Einstein On God  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Einstein On God
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:21 pm »
So after someone on my FB posted a quote supposedly said by Einstein about a "cosmic religion," I decided to do a little bit of digging, and came across this:

http://www.endlesssearch.co.uk/science_cosmicreligion.htm

So, let's take a look at this, shall we?  Let's see what Einstein actually wrote on God.

The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another.

How can cosmic religious feeling be communicated from one person to another, if it can give rise to no definite notion of a God and no theology? In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are receptive to it.

There's obviously more at the link, but I think this is an interesting excerpt.  The thing is, I find myself actually agreeing with Einstein about this notion of the divine.  What do you guys think?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Einstein On God
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:41:42 am »
So after someone on my FB posted a quote supposedly said by Einstein about a "cosmic religion," I decided to do a little bit of digging, and came across this:

http://www.endlesssearch.co.uk/science_cosmicreligion.htm

So, let's take a look at this, shall we?  Let's see what Einstein actually wrote on God.

The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another.

How can cosmic religious feeling be communicated from one person to another, if it can give rise to no definite notion of a God and no theology? In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are receptive to it.

There's obviously more at the link, but I think this is an interesting excerpt.  The thing is, I find myself actually agreeing with Einstein about this notion of the divine.  What do you guys think?

I definitely agree with him.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Einstein On God
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:13:21 pm »
*Nods*  Pretty close to what I think too.  Some variations, but pretty close.   Always liked ol' Albert.