Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1465032 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6765 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:11 am »
Finished Mad Max a while back. I have to say, the pacing in that game is fucking terrible. Not only does the story feel incredibly rushed, but the 2nd half of the engine upgrades are locked until you complete the 2nd last mission in the entire game. In an open world collectathon like this, I feel like holding out on the mobility upgrades until you're basically done is a fucking terrible idea, especially for the completionists like myself.

Overall, it's a worse Assassin's Creed: Black Flag with cars instead of ships.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6766 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:28 am »
I liked how guns and ammo are rare in Mad Max, it fits in with the theme of scarcity in a post-apocalyptic setting. ...Granted that fuel for cars is too common but at least the game shows that they are drilling for oil and making more fuel in the dried out seabed (or whatever the desert is supposed to be.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6767 on: January 25, 2017, 01:12:25 am »
Unless you do two (or is it three?) very easy sidequests that give you free ammo refills in every stronghold, and even without that, ammo boxes are pretty common in camps and scavenging sites. Personally, the only time I was ever hurting for ammo was a couple of really obnoxious death runs (the kind where a constant stream of enemies are trying to ram you off the road), and that was only shotty shells. Sniper rounds and thunderpoon caps may as well have been infinite for all the difference it made.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6768 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:59 pm »
In other news, I've just discovered that Dolphin, everyone's favourite Gamecube emulator, now has GBA link functionality. So now I can finally see what the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker is all about.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6769 on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:49 pm »
Got Battlezone II.  Holy crap, I've missed this fucking game.  Its so wonderfully unique, blending an RTS with vehicular and ground-based combat.  So many memories...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6770 on: January 27, 2017, 02:09:55 am »
...Well, ok Mad Max has ammo but at least most of the enemies are using melee weapons and people aren't wasting their shots with guns unlike the film where they were firing on full auto just for fun.

In fact, that is one of my pet peeves in similar films and shows. "Yea, we are very low on supplies and use bullets as currency with a full magazine being a HUGE amount of money. Here, watch as I fire 200 rounds of ammo on full auto at those couple morons that tried to rob me." ...It's a scene that actually happened in a post-apoc setting series.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6771 on: January 27, 2017, 03:11:31 am »
...Well, ok Mad Max has ammo but at least most of the enemies are using melee weapons and people aren't wasting their shots with guns unlike the film where they were firing on full auto just for fun.

In fact, that is one of my pet peeves in similar films and shows. "Yea, we are very low on supplies and use bullets as currency with a full magazine being a HUGE amount of money. Here, watch as I fire 200 rounds of ammo on full auto at those couple morons that tried to rob me." ...It's a scene that actually happened in a post-apoc setting series.

"Gil Toss"
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6772 on: January 27, 2017, 04:07:50 am »

Ah, fair enough. I've not seen the new movie, but I can certainly imagine that being obnoxious. Especially when guns were truly rare in the original movies. In fact, the only gun I remember from the movies was Max's own sawnoff, which was only for the direst of emergencies. Other than that, crossbows and harpoons were the ranged weapon of choice for pretty much everyone.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6773 on: January 27, 2017, 05:23:18 am »
In the second film Max has exactly one (1) shotgun cartridge for the entirety of the film and even that one misfires when he finally tries to shoot someone. Most of the people were using crossbows and such. Lord Humongous has a few cartridges for his revolver and it is a big deal when he finally loads up the gun with the remaining ammo for the final battle.

The new film is good, but it really lacks the feel of scarcity. (Note that the bad guys are the mayors of three cities that are respectively the local source of potable water, ammo and fuel. But it still does not feel the same.)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6774 on: January 27, 2017, 10:48:25 am »
So I've been playing a lot of Titanfall 2's multiplayer.  Let me caveat this with I suck at Call of Duty style multiplayer.  But I've been doing actually a pretty good job of it as of late.  Kill totals of like 7-9 are making me top of the scoreboard.  And that's on players btw.

Ironbite-maybe I'm not as bad as I thought.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6775 on: January 27, 2017, 08:45:03 pm »
Beat my first "instant action" in Battlezone II.  Holy mother of shit, the AI (even on fucking easy) is fucking unforgiving.  But, maaaaaaan, once I got shit going...lost a succession of, like, 3 bombers (you can only have one at a time, for balance reasons) just turning their base to ash.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6776 on: January 29, 2017, 05:57:46 am »
Anyone looking forward to the next Mass Effect game?

I mean the previous ones were good and I totally understand why they had to take it to another galaxy. The epic scale of the plot in the trilogy made too many changes to the setting, particularly the branching plot lines, that they have no way to tie it all together without going with one canon storyline and that would piss off too many people.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6777 on: February 02, 2017, 01:31:52 am »
So I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV on my new computer. For reference, my laptop ran the game at about minimum settings at 720p and 30fps. My new computer? Happily runs it at just below high settings at 1080p and 60fps. The difference between 30fps and 60fps is like night and day.

I should also point out that I'm not done working on the new computer. Once I get my tax return in, I'm planning to get an RX 480 (currently running a Radeon HD7790 my old boss gave me while after he dug it out of his parts bin while looking for something we could use to get my original motherboard up and running) and a second monitor. I would not be surprised if I could get the game running at max settings at 1080p and 60fps. And it will be glorious.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:37:55 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6778 on: February 04, 2017, 07:14:35 pm »
So, it turns out my old, totally-not-gaming laptop can run Dragonball Xenoverse without too much trouble, as long as I lower the fuck out of the screen res and turn off the graphical bells and whistles.

I'm a Saiyan woman.  Her name is Daika and she kicks all kinds of ass.

The only problem is that I'm not used to everybody moving so fast.  I've gotten the graphics to stop being choppy, but I still miss more hits and ki blasts than actually connect.  I just want to steal the Dragonballs from Frieza, guys, quit fucking dying so we can beat the level and I can stop being Ginyu in story mode.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6779 on: February 04, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »

RX 480 get! And now I've also got super bright lights inside my case. Which would be way more distracting if it wasn't in the computer hole in my desk. I can't wait to see what this little monster can do.

EDIT: So after a quick test with Final Fantasy XIV, I peaked out at 80fps. With all of the settings completely cranked to 11. I love this video card.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:29:15 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?