Author Topic: Childhood Trauma Leaves Mark on DNA  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Childhood Trauma Leaves Mark on DNA
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
http://www.mpg.de/6643282/childhood-trauma-dna?filter_order=L

Abused children are at high risk of anxiety and mood disorders, as traumatic experience induces lasting changes to their gene regulation. Scientists from the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich have now documented for the first time that genetic variants of the FKBP5 gene can influence epigenetic alterations in this gene induced by early trauma. In individuals with a genetic predisposition, trauma causes long-term changes in DNA methylation leading to a lasting dysregulation of the stress hormone system. As a result, those affected find themselves less able to cope with stressful situations throughout their lives, frequently leading to depression, post-traumatic stress disorder or anxiety disorders in adulthood. Doctors and scientists hope these discoveries will yield new treatment strategies tailored to individual patients, as well as increased public awareness of the importance of protecting children from trauma and its consequences.

In other words, it has more than just a psychological effect. Still "invisible" but still very, very much important.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Childhood Trauma Leaves Mark on DNA
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
Huh, a form of "envoronment inpacting on genes" that I'd never considered before. Extremeley interesting.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:03:25 pm »
Huh, a form of "environment impacting on genes" that I'd never considered before. Extremely interesting.
Puts a real hitch in the nature vs nurture argument. Particularly if you don't just side step the argument by pointing out it's in our nature to be effected by how we're nurtured.

That said, any details on how common this particular chain is? They say people with it are more likely to express changes after the incident, but don't give solid numbers on anything but the overall count.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »
I'm not the best person to ask. I don't do anything genetics wise. I leave that to others. I do more physical like bones and such.

Since it's so new it may be a while to get more information even for a geneticist. I'd say keep an eye on the development. There's bound to be more news soon.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
This isn't genetics, this is epigentics. Just to get that right. It kind of put a hitch on the whole nature versus nurture argument, by being all weird. Basically, epigenetics are gathered in a life time. They are based off how you are nurtured... but they are also passed on a great deal down to your children by a majority percentage, but they can also be changed and there's no idea what epigentics the children are getting. Basically, your nurture can turn into your children's nature. Weirdness.

This can be understandable though, but makes carries through that epigenetics make what you do is bad for you or have bad things happen to you can adversely effect far more than just the victim of these bad actions. Really forces someone to really think deeper before they do an action.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:00 pm »
There's still a nature vs nuture argument? I thought it had basically been proven to be a complicated mix of both with neither being entirely separable from the other.  Didn't know there was any disagreement about it anymore.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:20 pm »
There's still a nature vs nuture argument? I thought it had basically been proven to be a complicated mix of both with neither being entirely separable from the other.  Didn't know there was any disagreement about it anymore.

There really can't be with epigentics. That really solves the argument. When nurture can become nature and nature can remake nurture...
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying