Author Topic: Yet another example of dress code gone too far  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Yet another example of dress code gone too far
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:30:29 am »
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2013/0421/Argument-over-NRA-T-shirt-gets-eighth-grader-jailed.-Dress-code-run-amok

Okay, suspending the student for backsassing the teacher over a t-shirt is one thing. I may not like it, but I can see why. But sending the kid to jail for wearing a shirt with a rifle on it? What? Does he have some sort of magic that will make the rifle magically appear in his hands? If not, rethink the decision, because sending someone to jail over a t-shirt makes about as much sense as paying $50 for one.

On top of that, it happened in WV, the last place I'd expect it to. Nice job giving the NRA more proverbial ammo, you idiots.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Yet another example of dress code gone too far
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:38:17 am »
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2013/0421/Argument-over-NRA-T-shirt-gets-eighth-grader-jailed.-Dress-code-run-amok

Okay, suspending the student for backsassing the teacher over a t-shirt is one thing. I may not like it, but I can see why. But sending the kid to jail for wearing a shirt with a rifle on it? What? Does he have some sort of magic that will make the rifle magically appear in his hands? If not, rethink the decision, because sending someone to jail over a t-shirt makes about as much sense as paying $50 for one.

On top of that, it happened in WV, the last place I'd expect it to. Nice job giving the NRA more proverbial ammo, you idiots.

This sounds like a combination of dress code and zero tolerance policy shenanigans.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:37 am »
My school once sent a kid home because he was wearing a Guns & Roses tee shirt that had pictures of real guns on it. The horror!
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:48 am »
As much as I loved King Arthur and the Knights of Justice as a kid, I still understand that wearing a shirt with a picture of a weapon won't bring it into reality.

Ironbite-the nitwits

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:13:39 am »
As much as I loved King Arthur and the Knights of Justice as a kid, I still understand that wearing a shirt with a picture of a weapon won't bring it into reality.

Ironbite-the nitwits

and now I need to go find the episodes on Youtube.  Thanks for nuking my free time, Ibby.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:45:33 am »
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Ironbite-find me some Masked Rider would ya?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:34:49 am »

Ironbite-the nitwits

and now I need to go find the episodes on Youtube.  Thanks for nuking my free time, Ibby.

God dammit. Thanks, Ibby. Thanks a lot.

As for the topic at hand... wow. I... okay.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:35:17 am »
It seems he was arrested for the "dispute" with the teacher, not for wearing the shirt.

Also: anyone else find it funny how the kid insists that his Second Amendment rights are being taken away? Because, apparently, the right to bear arms includes the right to bear their likeness in clothing.
Σא

Distind

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:25:07 am »
I've got to admit I'm pretty damn annoyed that it's gotten to where schools have to have kids arrested rather than just dealing with them on their own. But with the sue happy parents around they're better of handing it to people who are qualified to deal with beligerance.

Not that the news will ever bother with full details of the incident.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:51 am »
Man am I glad I went to school the time I did... the only things that were banned from our dress code were clothes that were too revealing, had blatant cuss words on them, and... that's it.
There were guns n' roses, tees everywhere.   As well as every other 80s and 90s rock band you could imagine.   I myself had a T-Shirt with crosshairs over Saddam Hussein's face, right between the eyes, with the subscript "Public Enemy Number One".   Er... this was Gulf War I, of course.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Ironbite-find me some Masked Rider would ya?

This the sort of thing you're looking for?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUtM6v8fOvI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUtM6v8fOvI</a>
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »
My school once sent a kid home because he was wearing a Guns & Roses tee shirt that had pictures of real guns on it. The horror!

In the 8th grade, Mrs. O'Grady made me turn my Gun's N' Roses shirt inside out because their lyrics are quote: "Not honkey-dory."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 04:41:12 pm »
I remember when clothing had neither images nor words.  That doesn't address this situation, but I thought I'd toss it out there just the same.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »
I've seen pictures in my parent's old photo albums of kids wearing Roy Rogers and other Western icon tee shirts, as well as superhero emblem tees.

They're in their late 60s and early 70s.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
I remember when clothing had neither images nor words.  That doesn't address this situation, but I thought I'd toss it out there just the same.

They still don't, if you don't want them to. Plain shirts are pretty cheap.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.