Author Topic: The bad side of unions  (Read 2577 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
The bad side of unions
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »
So normally I'm all for unions: they allow workers a strong voice in negotiating employment conditions and act as a countervailing force against businesses to keep labour laws in place. But...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/06/18/bc-teacher-duct-tape.html

The B.C. Teacher Regulation Branch has reprimanded a Vancouver teacher after she duct-taped her students' mouths in an effort to keep them quiet.

Margo Fowler, a math teacher at Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School, is rated as a top-notch educator on the popular website RateMyTeachers.com, where students describe her as "helpful," "entertaining" and "Just. Plain. Awesome."

But documents posted on the Teacher Regulation Branch's website say Fowler was involved in three separate incidents where she broke professional standards by duct-taping the mouths of her students.

The BC teachers' union is pretty strong. I don't care how good a teacher this person is...

The branch has issued Fowler a reprimand citing professional misconduct.

She needs more than just a reprimand for professional misconduct.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: The bad side of unions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:38:08 pm »
...this doesn't seem to be connected to unions at all. What she did seems more like a joke than anything serious, really.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »
...this doesn't seem to be connected to unions at all. What she did seems more like a joke than anything serious, really.

If it weren't for the BCTF, I'm pretty sure she would have received more than a reprimand.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:12:49 pm »
I don't understand.  What did she do that was wrong?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

wrightway

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »
Put duct tape on your lips and then ask again what she did wrong.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »

If it weren't for the BCTF, I'm pretty sure she would have received more than a reprimand.

Why? I'm not saying it's not, I know nothing about Canadian teacher unions, but what reasons do you have to believe this is a case of unions unfairly exercising power and not a minor incident that deserved a minor reprimand?
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »

Why? I'm not saying it's not, I know nothing about Canadian teacher unions, but what reasons do you have to believe this is a case of unions unfairly exercising power and not a minor incident that deserved a minor reprimand?

Long experience of seeing unionized employees get away with shit like this with basically no repercussions.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
Uh...there was repercussions.  Not the one you'd have like to see but there were.

Ironbite-still not sure how this makes some unions as bad.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:29:12 am »
Unions are legally bound by contract to defend and assign representation to members, even in the worst case scenarios. This is not a negative aspect in and of itself.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:11 am »
The concept of unionism is imperfect, as with all human invention. That doesn't mean it should not exist, which is the argument usually made.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:18:12 am »
Unions are there to protect their members, this does not guarantee that their members will be angels.

Yeah, duct taping a kids mouth is completely over the line but I fail to see how the union screwed up.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:54 am »
Union is doing its job. Kinda like a defense attorney, actually.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:46 am »
He wants the union to get the teacher fired for what the teacher did.

Ironbite-and he's upset they didn't.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:29 am »
He wants the union to get the teacher fired for what the teacher did.

Ironbite-and he's upset they didn't.

I accept that the fact of the union's existence means that the teacher only got a reprimand rather than a harsher punishment.

I am, by and large, pro-union.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
Meeeh. I see nothing wrong here. I wish it would happen more in schools in America. I know a guy named Logan who so needed it.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.