Author Topic: South Carolina student charged with wanting to kill dinosaurs  (Read 4255 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
South Carolina student charged with wanting to kill dinosaurs
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:11 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alex-stone-arrested-after-u-s-teen-wrote-about-shooting-pet-dinosaur-1.2756924

Okay, not exactly...

Alex Stone's school year is off to a rough start. The South Carolina teen was arrested on his second day of school on Aug. 16 after writing in an assignment about shooting his neighbour's pet dinosaur with a gun he bought to "take care of business."

The 16-year-old was charged with disorderly conduct and suspended for several days in the wake of a confrontation with school authorities.

Stone told a local television news station in Summerville that students had been instructed to write a few sentences about themselves as though it were a Facebook status update. Stone said he wrote a fictional story about killing his neighbour's pet dinosaur and that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

His teacher obviously did, because the school's authorities were notified and police were called. Stone's school bag and locker were searched and police say the student was "irate" when school officials were asking him about the assignment. He was placed in handcuffs and was later charged because of his behaviour, not because of what he wrote, according to police.

His lawyer says that this is political correctness gone too far, and apparently they never informed his parents.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: South Carolina student charged with wanting to kill dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »
This is something you'd expect to hear from Florida.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
No wonder the kid was irate!
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:06 pm »
Nice hair.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »
Is this real life.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
How do large groups of people manage to be this overwhelmingly, impossibly stupid? Did not one goddamned person even know that dinosaurs are extinct?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »
It sure as hell isn't fantasy.

I really want to find whoever started this "Zero Thought Accountability Intelligence Basic Human Fucking Decency Tolerance" bullshit, drive them out to the middle of the Mojave desert, and just fucking leave them there.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »
How do large groups of people manage to be this overwhelmingly, impossibly stupid? Did not one goddamned person even know that dinosaurs are extinct?

Hate to break it to you, but birds are still around.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »

Hate to break it to you, but birds are still around.
I know you know damn well what I meant.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:04:53 am »
Birds aren't dinosaurs anymore.  They're birds now.  If they were still dinosaurs, they'd be called dinosaurs.

Anyway; yay, more overreaction from something frikkin' harmless.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:44 am »
Not even harmless....IT WAS IN RESPONSE TO A FUCKING ASSIGNMENT!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Birds aren't dinosaurs anymore.  They're birds now.  If they were still dinosaurs, they'd be called dinosaurs.
Mammals aren't vertebrates. They're Mammals now. If they were still vertebrates, they'd be called vertebrates.

Sorry if I seem too snarky but this is the shortest way I could think of to make my point. You don't stop being in the class you evolved from, you become a subclass of it.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:49 am »
This is beyond stupid. What exactly are they accomplishing with this? Preventing a school shooting? Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what the kid had in mind.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »
Mammals aren't vertebrates. They're Mammals now. If they were still vertebrates, they'd be called vertebrates.

Sorry if I seem too snarky but this is the shortest way I could think of to make my point. You don't stop being in the class you evolved from, you become a subclass of it.

Of course, but you're not still technically referred to as your previous class.   You're referred to as your new sub classification.  Like, a textbook would say a ostrich is a bird primarily,  not an ostrich is a subclass of dinosaur.

EDIT:  Meh, this doesn't even matter to the point of the actual OP anyway... but whatever.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »

Of course, but you're not still technically referred to as your previous class.   You're referred to as your new sub classification.  Like, a textbook would say a ostrich is a bird primarily,  not an ostrich is a subclass of dinosaur.

EDIT:  Meh, this doesn't even matter to the point of the actual OP anyway... but whatever.

So mammals aren't considered amniotes, vertebrates, animals, or eukaryotes anymore? That's interesting.