Author Topic: Karl Rove's Analysis of the "Latte Salute."  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
Karl Rove's Analysis of the "Latte Salute."
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:04 am »
Most of you have probably already seen it, but the President saluted two marines with a cup of coffee in his hand as he exited Marine One.  The media as a whole has covered it, and FOX is (unsurprisingly) especially offended.  Jon Stewart's commentary on this is very good.  If you haven't seen the segment, it is well worth watching  http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/b7hxzd/the-way-we-war.

As Stewart points out, the media's reaction to the situation raises important issues about what the media chooses to cover and why, as well as the hypocrisy of FOX in their coverage of this.  But that's not what I want to talk about.  I want to dissect the comments made by Karl Rove.

http://youtu.be/XSoohXNq1a0  (I can't figure out how to embed the video, so if somebody would like to fix that for me, I would appreciate it).

Hannity:  Would President Bush ever have done this?

Rove:  Are we suprised?  I mean, after all, we got a Chai swilling, golf-playing, basketball trash-talking, leading from behind, I got no strategy, Osama Bin laden is dead, GM is alive, community organizing Commander-in-Chief.  I mean, how disrespectful was that!?

Let's really look at that statement.

Let's throw out "chai-swilling" and "community organizing," because neither have any particular bearing on his leadership abilities.  Leadership skills are probably important to a community organizer, but whatever.

"Golf-playing" is a particularly funny thing for him to add, considering the context of the question was a comparison of the last two Presidents.  Who remembers this:

http://youtu.be/Z3p9y_OEAdc

"Basketball trash-talking."  This is the one that really gets me.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm pretty sure that he only chose these words because it would have been socially unacceptable to just say "n****r," which is what he meant.

"Leading from behind, I got no strategy."  Let's set aside the debate over whether or not this is a fair criticism, because it misses the point.  It's the fact that a senior adviser to President Bush is making the critique when comparing Obama unfavorably to Bush.

"Osama bin Laden is dead, GM is alive."  Aren't these good things?  Seriously, what am I missing here?  Six months after 9/11, President Bush did say that he "wasn't that concerned" about bin Laden, but even if he's not much of a threat, the world is probably better off without him, right?  I'm also inclined to believe that the United States having an automotive industry is probably important, not just to the economy, but to national security.  I don't think it's particularly likely, but if we were put into a total war scenario, those are the people who would be best-equipped to mass-produce tanks for us.

"How disrespectful was that!?"  You know what, maybe it was a bit rude.  Kind of like calling the Commander-in-Chief a "Chai swilling, golf-playing, basketball trash-talking, leading from behind, I got no strategy, Osama Bin laden is dead, GM is alive, community organizing Commander-in-Chief."  Except without the extremely thinly-veiled racism.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
Re: Karl Rove's Analysis of the "Latte Salute."
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:20:47 am »
there going crazy over a Styrofoam cup? in his saluting hand?  wow how stupid are they?!

I wonder What Fox would do if Obama did this Salute?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QsBiuNJiVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QsBiuNJiVM</a>

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:10:37 am »
Also the president is in no way shape or form required to return a salute.  He's a civilian.  That's what he's classified as.  The most important civilian in the land but just that...a civilian.

Also reason why Rove never answer the question?

Ironbite-

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:41:06 am »
Some people will just look for any excuse to complain.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »
God, I am so fucking tired of this fucking braindead hypocritical bullshit. When the fuck did Obama ever trash-talk baseball? You realize that Bush played golf too, right, Mr. Rove? Jesus Christ Fox News has become completely beyond satire. There is simply no difference between it and its parodies anymore. Who the fuck is fucking retarded enough to actually swallow this vapid inane asinine drivel? Cause to anyone that is, I don't care if you're in my family, I do not respect you. You're a fucking moron, and you're contributing to the decay and deterioration of our culture into an intellectual wasteland

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:31:05 pm »
Ah, nothing like the remnants of racism.

"Community Organizers" is race baiting dog-whistle for blacks uniting for the common good of their people, and civil rights leaders. Similar terms  include "Outside Agitators" and "Welfare Queens".

It's bullshit, and most people in the south recognize these terms for they are the moment it comes out of somebody's puerile shit-spewing racist mouth.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.