Author Topic: Twitter Sued For Letting ISIL Use it  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Twitter Sued For Letting ISIL Use it
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:09:00 am »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Twitter Sued For Letting ISIL Use it
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
They've had years to hire Arabic and other language speaking people to monitor for these things, but I think the real reason the accounts don't get frozen ASAP is that various intelligence and law enforcement agencies around the world need the accounts kept open to track activities. Otherwise, it means the management at Twitter has always been criminally negligent. And yes, I saw the FBI agent's quote within the plaintiff complaint. Methinks he perhaps doth protest too much, to keep their strategic investigations mum.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
So the question I have to ask is can a lawsuit like this get around the 1st amendment, particularly since Twitter hasn't actually said/done anything?

Even if it can, can Twitter be held any more responsible for what ISIS is doing than the phone companies that ISIS makes use of for communication?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:55:36 pm »
I think twitter and any other open format public/social media outlet or app is more vulnerable than a mobile network.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »
Demanding that Twitter shut down every single ISIS account immediately is asking for a level of monitoring that is excessively difficult to implement (and would be pretty concerning if it was implemented)
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 02:01:58 am »
Demanding that Twitter shut down every single ISIS account immediately is asking for a level of monitoring that is excessively difficult to implement (and would be pretty concerning if it was implemented)

...Either that particular demand was merely made for show, so that people think the authorities are REALLY doing something or they think that when the Twitter bosses agree to this some burly old guy in overalls is going to walk into the internet-tube basement and pull a huge lever that has "open/close all terrorist accounts" written nearby on a metal plate.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!