Author Topic: Ultimate Paragon vs. Antitheism: Round 2  (Read 25479 times)

Art Vandelay

Ultimate Paragon vs. Antitheism: Round 2
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:43:02 pm »
Personally, I'd rather they not be forced to accommodate gay people. The more people that Christians (and every other religion for that matter) alienate, the better.
Ah, beating the "religion is evil" drum again?  I could explain why that's a ludicrously simplistic viewpoint, but you'd probably just plug your ears.
Not "evil", but it is an inherently bad thing.
How so?
Because it's a worldview that's based solely on blind faith for the sake of blind faith. That's the problem. It not only makes massive claims about everything from the origin of the universe to how you should behave in your day to day life based on nothing of any sort of substance, but it also fosters a culture where beliefs based on blind faith rather than critical thinking and evidence is something that should be not just respected, but even admired. Ergo, religion is indeed a bad thing, and humanity as a whole would indeed be better off without it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Ultimate Paragon vs. Antitheism: Round 2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:34 pm »
Personally, I'd rather they not be forced to accommodate gay people. The more people that Christians (and every other religion for that matter) alienate, the better.
Ah, beating the "religion is evil" drum again?  I could explain why that's a ludicrously simplistic viewpoint, but you'd probably just plug your ears.
How so?
Because it's a worldview that's based solely on blind faith for the sake of blind faith. That's the problem. It not only makes massive claims about everything from the origin of the universe to how you should behave in your day to day life based on nothing of any sort of substance, but it also fosters a culture where beliefs based on blind faith rather than critical thinking and evidence is something that should be not just respected, but even admired. Ergo, religion is indeed a bad thing, and humanity as a whole would indeed be better off without it.

Do you think we'd be better off still living as hunter-gatherers?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:20:02 pm »
How so?

Red herring. You assume that's a hard fact, rather than yet another competing theory on the origin of cities. Even assuming it is fact for a moment, you still assume religion is the only possible mechanic by which cities could form. That without it, there's be no other means for early humans to build cities.

As is standard fare for you, you've not actually addressed anything I've said. Let me simplify it for you. Tell me why blind faith for the sake of blind faith is not an inherently bad thing to base one's worldview on.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:21:49 pm »
That's an interesting thesis, religion however predates urban civilisation.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:36:27 pm »
For the record, UP has been banned. So, will not be responding to this thread anymore.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »
Really? Why has he been banned?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:02:54 pm »
It's the end of an era.

Shame it had to be right now, though. I always got a kick out of the anti-theism threads.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 11:05:53 pm »

Me being tired of his bullshit.

More specifically, I have good reason to believe he used sockpuppets. And is generally annoying to deal with in various ways to the point my giving him the benefit of the doubt on that ran short.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 11:08:08 pm »
I guess that means we'll have to start talking about things that aggravate old British Tories, then.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »
I can't deny that part of me will miss paragon.

Well not really, but I will miss mocking him.  Him and his LIEberals, cousinbrother, emotional typing...

Ah well I'm sure he'll fine some other group to harass and annoy.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:21:29 pm »
Sigma, dude. Now we'll have to start talking about things that matter.

Coherently even, and not while drunk.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:25:33 pm »

More specifically, I have good reason to believe he used sockpuppets. And is generally annoying to deal with in various ways to the point my giving him the benefit of the doubt on that ran short.

By "good reason", do you mean actual proof? Because if not, why was he not banned back when he created his account? Because plenty of people had good reason to believe he was Dynamic Dragon returned.

As for him being annoying, how is that relevant? Please don't be the kind of admin who looks for excuses to ban anyone they don't like. We got enough of that bullshit under Keiro's illustrious reign.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 11:40:32 pm »

By "good reason", do you mean actual proof? Because if not, why was he not banned back when he created his account? Because plenty of people had good reason to believe he was Dynamic Dragon returned.

As for him being annoying, how is that relevant? Please don't be the kind of admin who looks for excuses to ban anyone they don't like. We got enough of that bullshit under Keiro's illustrious reign.

I had passable reasons then, but I was willing to see how things went. I got better reasons over time, and more so recently. There was no sharp moment of deduction that pushed me over the edge, but eventually I took stock of the situation and realised that if I'd known all I know now when he first showed up I would have banned him right then.

Him annoying me is what pushed me to examine everything above and ask myself why I was putting up with him and realise I had no good reasons left. Maybe I'm biased against UP. I'm not ruling that out. I'm also not losing sleep over it, to be perfectly honest.

I continue to not ban people just because they annoy me, though.
Σא

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:28 pm »
So his annoyingness was the impetus behind your taking stock of the evidence, but it wasn't the reason for the ban? More or less right?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 01:20:00 am »
Well if he was either DD or using sock-puppets we can expect him back when he get's sufficiently bored.