Author Topic: Satanic prayer at Pensacola town hall  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Satanic prayer at Pensacola town hall
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:10:12 am »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/15/satanic-prayer-opens-pensacola-city-council-meetin/

You see, this town in Florida usually started all the council meetings with a prayer. It was all good and did not violate any of the laws about religious freedom or separation of church and state even if it was usually (or possibly always before this incident) a Christian prayer. Then one day some Satanist troublemaker asked to be allowed to hold the prayer before the meeting...

The Pensacola city council traditionally begins its meetings with Christian prayer, but it had agreed to give Mr. Suhor the podium after President Charles Bare determined that refusing his request to make the invocation would lead to possible litigation.

“If you deviate away from what I feel is proper invocation speech, I will have you removed from the chamber,” Mr Bare ordered, the ABC affiliate reported.

Mr. Suhor’s attempts to deliver the invocation in a hooded black robe were repeatedly disrupted by protesters, including some who stood up and tried to drone out his address with the Lord’s Prayer. Others, meanwhile, had to be removed from the building by Pensacola police, according to the station.

This was obviously done as a protest against the practice of having a prayer moment in council meetings. Suhor came back to the council on a different day and specifically said that in case someone had missed his point earlier and demanded that religion is to be removed from politics because people of different faiths and atheists are being oppressed by being forced to listen to prayers before council meetings and seeing a huge cross in the bay.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Satanic prayer at Pensacola town hall
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:28 am »
Freedom of religion!!! Just not yours.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:15:37 am »
The prayer itself is quite nice.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXQ7gBQVCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXQ7gBQVCw</a>

Let us stand now,
unbowed and unfettered
by arcane doctrines
borne of fearful minds in darkened times.

Let us embrace the Luciferian impulse
to eat of the Tree of Knowledge
and dissipate our blissful
and comforting delusions of old.

Let us demand
that individuals be judged for their concrete actions,
not their fealty to arbitrary social norms
and illusory categorizations.

Let us reason our solutions
with agnosticism in all things,

Holding fast only to that which is demonstrably true,
Let us stand firm against any and all arbitrary authority
that threatens the personal sovereignty of One or All.

That which will not bend must break,
and that which CAN BE* destroyed by truth
should never be spared its demise.
It is Done. Hail Satan.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
Freedom of religion!!! Just not yours.

We got freedom of religion in this here country.  You be free to be a Baptist, a Catholic, a Prodestent.  Hell, you can even be a Mormon just don't expect a warm welcome round here.  Mooslim?  Hell no. 

Ironbite-them be terrorists you know.  Donald Trump said so.  MAKE AMERICA GREAT!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:09 pm »
I find Satanist's fascinating. When you listen to his prayer it's pretty hard to imagine that they are anything else than atheists trolling Christians. Unless you take the view that they are using religion as a form of ancient psychotherapy.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:49:56 pm »
I find Satanist's fascinating. When you listen to his prayer it's pretty hard to imagine that they are anything else than atheists trolling Christians.
As I recall, that's pretty much how it started out.

Of course, there'll always be a few morons who sincerely believe it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:19:19 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:00 am »
If you sincerely believe in a man that got nailed to a cross and came back from the dead, you have barely any right to criticize other peoples beliefs.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:00:24 am »
I find Satanist's fascinating. When you listen to his prayer it's pretty hard to imagine that they are anything else than atheists trolling Christians. Unless you take the view that they are using religion as a form of ancient psychotherapy.
Almost all Satanists are atheists. The lefty ones, the libertarian ones and the frothing at the mouth Nazi ones. If you did a cross section of YouTube athiests you'd be able to apply pretty much the same labels.

The only exceptions are Theistic Satanists who have a weird hodge-podge of beliefs with Abrahamic and neopagan elements-maybe toss in Lovecraft as well if they're really confused.

I read that there was an actual case of historical Satanism but no sacrifices or whatnot. In Medieval Sweden Satan was a kind of folk saint amongst some of the lower classes who were otherwise tradotionally Christian.

So more your Catholic grandmother who stuffs little portraits of St Peter with dried palm leaves and bottles of holy water into your cars glovebox when you aren't looking than Rosemary's Baby . Sorry about that.