Author Topic: A Brutal June for Theresa May  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
A Brutal June for Theresa May
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:57:14 am »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/where-went-wrong-theresa-may-060425694.html

If she's still PM this time next month, I'll be surprised.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: A Brutal June for Theresa May
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:43:30 am »
I had to have a British co worker explain British elections to me. From what I understand is she probably won't resign but will probably be forced out by her own party for making such a stupid vain move as this snap election.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:04 am »
And now her party is teaming up with the DUP.

And my understanding of British politics is not that good but apparently that group is the Northern-Irish group that wants to stay with Britain and are also right-wing populists, anti-EU ...And these things:

...I am sure that they'll get along just fine and the British people will not crush the Tories in the next elections.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:39:36 pm »
Apparently Jim Messina was one of the senior advisers in the Conservative campaign.

Jim Messina is a former advisor to Barack Obama, and was his 2012 campaign manager.

He helped run Jon Tester's 2006 Senate run in Montana.

He called proponents of single-payer "fucking retarded."

He eventually became co-chair of Priorities USA Action, a SuperPAC working to elect Clinton.

How he still had a job after being part of one of the worst nightmares of a campaign in US history is beyond me; that he'll almost certainly find a job with some campaign somewhere after May's nightmare sickens me.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:57 pm »

And my understanding of British politics is not that good but apparently that group is the Northern-Irish group that wants to stay with Britain and are also right-wing populists, anti-EU ...And these things:

...I am sure that they'll get along just fine and the British people will not crush the Tories in the next elections.

So the fascists are teaming up with the theocrats. How do the Tories not realize that this is the kind of shit that made the election go sideways for them? If they keep this shit up, hopefully they won't ruin the UK before Labour is inevitably in charge.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »

Oh they hate the EU with a passion but they need it because of thr Good Friday agreements which hinge on free movement between Ireland and Northern Ireland. It's why the DUP only supports a "soft Brexit". They may be right wing as hell but they absolutely do not want to see the return of "the troubles".

EDIT:Scratch that. They've just come out and said they want no special status deal for NI. Which means they'd rather have the bombings and.bloodshed of the troubles than any suggestion they're any different from the rest of the UK.

Ah well, common sense never.got between a fundie and self-preservation before!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:12:24 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:00:11 am »

And my understanding of British politics is not that good but apparently that group is the Northern-Irish group that wants to stay with Britain and are also right-wing populists, anti-EU ...:

They're the biggest party in Northern Ireland, their leader is the First Minister of NI (sort of like a local Prime Minster for NI but not).  And they're fundies.  Anti-gay, anti-abortion creationists.  They're why NI still does not have equal marriage, gays cannot give blood and why the abortion laws here are out of step with the rest of the UK.  They're also corrupt and are involved in a scandal approx. every 6 seconds and the latest scandal is largely responsible for their inability to form a government with Sinn Fein despite winning the last assembly election (it's kind of complicated to explain how the power sharing executive works, Google it).  And for some reason they win every local election.  It's why I like to call Northern Ireland the deep south of the UK.  That plus country music and line dancing are inexplicably popular here.

What irks me is the English didn't have a problem with the DUP running an entire region of the UK until it suddenly affected them, now FB, Twitter and the press are full of outrage at how awful the DUP is.  Where was that outrage all the times they've won the NI Assembly elections?  Oh that's right it didn't affect you so you didn't care, because you don't care about us and you barely even remember we exist.  "United" kingdom my arse.

As for Theresa May:

"We've been too tolerant of extremism." - Forms a government with extremists who have been running one of the countries in the UK for years.

I love politicians, don't you?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 04:08:39 am by Katsuro »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 04:06:32 am »
Silly Katsuro, don't you know that only Muslims can be "extremist" these days?
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 04:14:18 am »
Silly Katsuro, don't you know that only Muslims can be "extremist" these days?

Much like how the UK gov keeps telling us the terrorism threat today is unprecedented, despite the fact that at times during the 1970's and 80's terror attacks were almost a daily occurrence in the UK (not just in Northern Ireland, the IRA attacked targets in England too, including the assassination of 3 members of the Royal family and bombing the Conservative Party Convention.)

I guess the IRA, INLA, Real IRA, UDA, UVF, etc etc no longer count as terrorists because only brown people are terrorists now.  Seriously, anytime a nutter stabs a bunch of people it's a spree killer if he's white and a terror attack if he's brown and/or muslim.  Regardless of motive.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:18:40 am »
I wouldn't say Corbyn's discussions with IRA and Hezbollah were at all equal to what May is doing now. May allies with terrorist sympathizers and extremists for her own political gain and is prepared to empower them in order to benefit herself and her party. Corbyn's agenda in negotiating with terrorists was to find peaceful solutions to violent conflicts. This actually makes anyone who condemned Corbyn and ignores what May is doing even more of an hypocrite.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 09:00:08 am »
Ruth Davidson a Scottish Tory who is gay is seeking assurances from May that the frothing loonies she's trying to placate won't affect her upcoming wedding.

I think this is the essence of sudden British concern for the awfulness of the DUP Katsuro was talking about. A Scottish Tory who would have been declared an abomination in Northern Ireland suddenly giving all the fucks because some knuckle dragging fundies from Northern Ireland that she could have safely ignored only last week might now piss all over her special day!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 09:09:09 am »
I wouldn't say Corbyn's discussions with IRA and Hezbollah were at all equal to what May is doing now. May allies with terrorist sympathizers and extremists for her own political gain and is prepared to empower them in order to benefit herself and her party. Corbyn's agenda in negotiating with terrorists was to find peaceful solutions to violent conflicts. This actually makes anyone who condemned Corbyn and ignores what May is doing even more of an hypocrite.

Ruth Davidson a Scottish Tory who is gay is seeking assurances from May that the frothing loonies she's trying to placate won't affect her upcoming wedding.

I think this is the essence of sudden British concern for the awfulness of the DUP Katsuro was talking about. A Scottish Tory who would have been declared an abomination in Northern Ireland suddenly giving all the fucks because some knuckle dragging fundies from Northern Ireland that she could have safely ignored only last week might now piss all over her special day!

I'd "like" these posts so hard if that was a thing in these forums.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:36 am »
I will say though with the sheer horror the English seem to be feeling at learning what kind of people the Tories have gotten into bed with it might do even more serious damage to the Tories that they struggle to recover from.  Also, parties who enter into coalitions with the Tories have a history of being irreparably fucked by it, so it could end the DUP as a meaningful political force in Northern Ireland.

Although judging from what's happened in the Philippines, Turkey, the USA and with the Brexit referendum the voting public seems to have gone fucking mad in the last few years so we'll probably end up making the Tories and the DUP Supreme Eternal Overlords of the Universe instead.  Plus I know what we're like in Northern Ireland, we'll keep electing these fuckers for years to come I'm sure. 

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 10:11:07 am »
There is a disturbing number of people on Twitter blaming all of this on the people who voted Labour and Lib Dem, saying if they'd voted Tory this wouldn't have happened and a strong Tory gov is better than this weak one and making comments like, "well you got the weak government you wanted!".  Are they fucking serious?  Everyone should always vote Tory regardless of how you feel about any parties policies or track record, just so you always have a strong government?  Fuck right off!  That's not how democracy works and nor should it.  Funny how they think everyone should vote for the party THEY like rather than any other's just to ensure strong governments.  I'm sure that's just coincidental though, right?

Besides, by that same logic one could argue that if they'd all voted Labour instead of Tory none of this would have happened, a strong Labour government is better than a weak Tory one.  They got the weak government they wanted!.  Why didn't they vote Labour?  Because they didn't like their polices, history and/or leader? Guess what fucktards, that's why people didn't vote Tory too.  People are not gonna vote for a party that they think are a disaster for the country and who don't represent their interests just so the government is strong. Christ the stupidity of people frightens me sometimes.

Also the political divide and the attitudes towards voters of the opposing party of your choice in the UK is starting to worryingly bear more and more resemblance to the extreme of America's, and of Northern Ireland's.  This can't be good.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:19:10 am by Katsuro »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:18 pm »
Robert Shrimsley of the Financial Times:

It's almost as if Theresa May looked at Hillary's campaign and said: "Let's do that."

Which is not surprising, since Jim Messina helped run May's campaign.

EDIT:

From another forum:

From that Minneapolis-Saint Paul conservative I quoted over in the Good Things thread:

As a Catholic myself, I find much of what [the DUP] say fairly attractive, particularly compared to the Tories themselves.

From an actual Brit (raised there, but born in Minnesota, actually):

You do see the irony of what you said, right?

And later ("[He]" refers to the person first quoted):

Yeah Ruth Davison is gay, and is one of the saviours of the election for the Conservatives. Which makes it all the more interesting how the "stable" Conservatives are going to cope with DUP.

[He] may like like the DUP's manifesto, but this is a hard line far right Protestant party, founded by one of the most hate filled people I've ever been alive to see, Ian Paisley. [Person], when you said "as a catholic", do you realise this is a very anti-Catholic party, and the atrocities Paisley and his followers committed against Catholics was as bad, if not worse, than the IRA inflicted on others.

Think Westboro Baptist Church with added violence.

They are extremely anti-gay as well, and with 17 gay/lesbian MPs in the Tory party, how will they hope to work together?

I suspect they'll work together out of political pragmatism: the Conservatives so as not to lose more ground to Labour, now that Corbyn's proved his doubters wrong, and the DUP because they want to have the Tories by the short and curlies.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:52:46 pm by dpareja »