Author Topic: Look what I found in my Inbox!  (Read 20359 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Look what I found in my Inbox!
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:40 am »
I simply had to share this. I think it's hilarious that people actually fall for this shit....

-

Dearest Friend,

Please kindly read through this letter and get back to me soon. I am Mr. [name deleted]. Branch Manager of one the Bank in London, UNITED KINGDOM. I will give you the name of my Bank and other important information if I receive a positive reply from you. For security reasons I cannot disclose my full identity to you now until I am sure of your cooperation. I made up my mind with trust to contact you for an urgent and very confidential business, knowing fully well that we had no previous dealings.

On the 9th of June 2004, Mr. [name deleted] a foreign Fiber Optics consultant here in London made several times huge sum (Fixed) deposit valued at US$17,000,000.00 (Seventeen Million Dollars). Upon yearly maturity, I sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but got no reply. After 2 years, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from his contract employers that he lost his life with his wife and his only son in the Bomb Blast at King cross underground Station in London while on holiday tour with his family. You can click the news link below for highlight: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8492258 /

On further investigation, I found out that he made no WILL outside his immediate family, and all attempts to trace his relatives were fruitless. I therefore made further investigation and discovered that Mr. [name deleted] did not declare any next of kin or relations in all his official documents, including his Bank Deposit paperwork in my Bank. This sum of US$17,000,000.00 is still sitting in my Bank and the interest is being rolled over with the principal sum at the end of each month. No one will ever come forward to claim it. At the expiration of 8 (eight) years, the money will be reverted to the bank escrow account if nobody applies to claim this fund.

Consequently, my proposal is that I will like you as a foreigner to stand in as the next of kin to Mr. [name deleted] so that the fruits of this Man's labour will not get into the hands of some corrupt top officials of this bank. This is simple as long as am here to direct and provide you with every information required. There is no risk at all as all the paperwork for this transaction will be done by the Attorney and my position as the Branch Manager guarantees the successful execution of this transaction. Once the fund is approved and released to your account, you will be entitled for 50% while 50% remains for me. Please feel free to provide me with your full names, address and direct telephone and fax number while we employee the service of an Attorney for drafting and notarization of the WILL and to secure and prepare affidavit of claim in your favor  including letter of probate/administration so which will put you in place as the next of kin.

If you are interested, please reply immediately. Upon your response, I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand the transaction. All i want from you is honest and trustworthy. Please observe utmost confidentiality, and be rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us because I shall require your assistance to invest my share in your country.

Awaiting your urgent reply on: [email address deleted]

Regards.

Mr. [deleted]

-

How very fucking convenient, that I am currently in dire financial straits and some random bank dude from overseas suddenly has $17 million sitting in the account, and this man is so nice that he doesn't want the money to fall into the hands of the 'corrupt' bank people. Therefore, he randomly found me and decided that I am worthy of a huge financial windfall. YAY!

Yeah, fucking right. I wish.

What's sad is that there are people out there who actually BELIEVE this shit...

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
Re: Look what I found in my Inbox!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:45 am »
This is a classic example of the 419 scam, sometimes referred to as a 'Nigerian letter'.

The people who do fall for it always seem to be those who can least afford to.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:30 am »
Oooh... that site looks like FUN! :D Now I'm thinking of contacting the guy and fucking with his head and making him think he's got a chance of scamming me...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:34 am »
Oooh... that site looks like FUN! :D Now I'm thinking of contacting the guy and fucking with his head and making him think he's got a chance of scamming me...
You certainly should. As long as you don't give him any of your details, they can't touch you. Play your cards right, and you can make them do crazy shit like write out Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by hand.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:49 am »
You certainly should. As long as you don't give him any of your details, they can't touch you. Play your cards right, and you can make them do crazy shit like write out Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by hand.

That was fucking awesome. I love it when people fuck with the morons.

I also remember some crude photos of a guy standing naked with a bucket on his head, or something along those lines.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »
Just be careful.  I've read a while back where someone had responded with the intent of fucking with them and it basically backfired on him.  Although they never got enough information to do actually scam him, they relentlessly hounded him trying. 

Best thing to do is just delete it.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »
My dad is a lawyer, and has worked for some reasonably prestigious law firms. One of the attorneys at his former firm fell for a scam like this, losing something like $900,000 of the firm's money.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »
This is callous to say, but I don't feel sorry for any but very few people who fall for these scams. Unless you are in some way almost wholly unacquainted with the internet and are in some way mentally handicapped in such a way that makes you inherently very trusting and lack a lot of basic critical thinking skills, you have absolutely no excuse for not seeing these for the scams they are. There is nothing about this shit that doesn't throw up red flags every which way. I totally get not everyone is net-savvy, but how much different is this than, 'Hey, wanna buy a bridge?' It isn't. You should know better. The fact that you don't makes me entitled to laugh myself stupid at you.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:15:14 pm »
While most Nigerian scams are annoying, there is one variety in particular that ticks me the fuck off: A member of the military (US/UK/Canadian, doesn't matter) somehow found some treasure in Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/Insert middle Eastern place here and needs YOUR help getting it back to the states.

1) Disrespectful ESPECIALLY when I recognize the unit name and it's a unit dear to my heart.
2) You would get your ass court-martialed for such a thing in real life
3) It's a Class E felony to pretend to be an officer of the military (at least the US military)

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »
3) It's a Class E felony to pretend to be an officer of the military (at least the US military)

I guess if you're going to commit a felony, it might as well be a class E one.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:20 pm »
This is callous to say, but I don't feel sorry for any but very few people who fall for these scams. Unless you are in some way almost wholly unacquainted with the internet and are in some way mentally handicapped in such a way that makes you inherently very trusting and lack a lot of basic critical thinking skills, you have absolutely no excuse for not seeing these for the scams they are. There is nothing about this shit that doesn't throw up red flags every which way. I totally get not everyone is net-savvy, but how much different is this than, 'Hey, wanna buy a bridge?' It isn't. You should know better. The fact that you don't makes me entitled to laugh myself stupid at you.

Yeah, really.  Just how naive/stupid/ignorant and greedy do you have to be to not recognize something like this for the scam that it is. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »

Why go for the lowest rank? lol

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »
Be careful though, most Nigerian scams are just after your money, but some are setting you up for a kidnapping. Play with them all you like, but if they suggest a meeting, call the police.
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
Alternatively, set up a meeting to which you have no intention of going, forcing them to spend thousands of dollars and dozens of hours out of their way (and away from scamming someone likely to give up genuine goods) to a dangerous part of the world, like Darfur, and send them on a wild goose chase.

That shit's comedy gold.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:50 pm »

Why go for the lowest rank? lol

...it was a pun. Class E = classy.