Author Topic: MGM Resorts "Compassionately" Sues Las Vegas Shooting Victims  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Yeah so this was posted on the Daily Beast and popped onto my radar
https://www.thedailybeast.com/mgm-resorts-sues-victims-of-las-vegas-mass-shooting

tl;dr Suing people to prevent being sued by the victims for not doing enough to stop the massacre, claims they're doing this out of compassion for the victims. Covering their ass.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: MGM Resorts "Compassionately" Sues Las Vegas Shooting Victims
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:05:21 pm »
They're trying to have it tried in Federal Court rather then State where they think they have a better chance at winning.

Ironbite-I think they may have just killed their own brand.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:50:11 am »
As if they're business isn't going to be damaged enough by being associated with a mass murder.  How can a business get as far as they have with this level of PR ineptitude PR?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
They claim that since they outsourced security the victims should be suing the contractor. ...Why not just say that rather than suing the victims?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:46:11 am »
They claim that since they outsourced security the victims should be suing the contractor. ...Why not just say that rather than suing the victims?

Apparently this motion suing them prevents the victims from suing MGM in the future. I've been reading some legal analysis about how that this basically forces the issue to be settled right now as opposed to waiting for the hundreds of people to get together to complain about how MGM had dropped the ball.

But knowing that about the contractor being the one to mess this up. MGM probably can't tell the victims to sue the contractor because they don't want the contractor company mad at them and sour a business relationship.

Capitalism is pretty messy like that.