Author Topic: Canadian Politics  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Canadian Politics
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:41:53 am »
So any other Canadians here paying attention to the conservative party leadership that's concluding this weekend? I admit I haven't been paying as much attention as I should, what with the US burning down and all.

For anyone who doesn't follow Canadian politics (so everyone) it's been a good news/bad news thing. Good news is that Canada won't be Trumping this time around. I was terrified our conservative party was going to go full Trump, it looked like that same set up, a divided field with way too many candidates and all the attention going to a) Kellie Leitch the xenophobic race baiter and b) Kevin O'leary the deranged rich asshole with a reality show. But then it just didn't happen, Leitch failed to go anywhere and O'leary dropped out of the race at the last minute.

Instead the favorite to win is Maxime Bernier, a libertarian who wants to legalize pot and destroy single payer healthcare because FREEDOM!!!!!! How you hate freedom so much that you want to force poor people have access to health care?

I'm still pissed that Justin Trudeau broke his promise on proportional representation, but I hope we keep him around to keep us away from extremist economic policies that are proven not to work.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Canadian Politics
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:15 am »
The Liberals, for the last 121 years (read: since Laurier became PM), have been Conservatives in drag, by which I mean that their economic policies are slightly less bad (a lot of the good stuff came out of Liberal minorities where they leaned on CCF/NDP support) and their social policies are actually OK. I'd much rather have an actual social democratic government, just not with Mulcair as PM (because he's an attack dog, not a leader).

And I haven't been following the Conservative race that closely, but if that's Bernier's actual position on health care... welcome to unelectability.

Meanwhile, we get to have some minority government fun here in BC, with the legislature consisting of 43 Liberals (note: the BC Liberal Party is a centre-right coalition of federal Liberals and Conservatives), 41 NDPers, and 3 Greens. The Lieutenant-Governor's going to have some fun deciding what to do if Premier Clark loses a confidence vote and asks for a dissolution while Horgan and Weaver are saying they can form a coalition government...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:20:13 am »
Isn't the single payer system in Canada extremely popular? It would seem that anyone that would go against popular laws and legislation would probably hurt them.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:34:44 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/andrew-scheer-leadership-1.4136808

Meanwhile, there's some questions as to whether a potential Prime Minister Scheer would seek to impose his own religious views on Canadians, especially since it appears it was social and religious conservatives within the Conservative Party who won him the leadership.

And in what may be a worrying sign, his platform is already gone from his leadership campaign's website.

EDIT:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-joe-clark-analysis-wherry-1.4135852

Comparing Andrew Scheer to Joe Clark: a 30-something Conservative leader taking on a charismatic Trudeau.

And what might be one of the best descriptions of Canadians ever:

"Trudeau was what Canadians really wanted to be — intellectual, suave, worldly, independent and unpredictable — while Clark was what they feared they were — earnest, nice, competent, unimaginative, honest and rather dull," Ron Graham wrote in a 1983 profile of Clark for Saturday Night magazine.

These days, humorously, Joe Clark is probably the most respected "elder statesman" in Canadian politics.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:35:42 pm by dpareja »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:32:23 am »
And now Thug Ford, brother of Toronto's famous crack addict mayor and just as big of an asshole, has become premier of Ontario.

Just fucking prefect, because what we really need is a drug dealer in charge.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:52 am »
And now Thug Ford, brother of Toronto's famous crack addict mayor and just as big of an asshole, has become premier of Ontario.

And once again, populism wins--populist conservatism, because the left couldn't make its own populist case convincingly enough.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:28:24 am »

There is a bit of a silver lining in the fact that a lot of his people are currently on the legal hot seat for various heinous crimes.  If enough of them are arrested and/or fired, Ford loses his majority; and that's assuming that the man, himself, doesn't get brought up on charges and/or fired.  Thankfully, unlike the US, Canada has a system in place for readily removing ruffians.

(Source: Got a homeboy in Canada that was, shall we say, none too happy about the results, either.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 02:46:11 am »
So something going on in Canadian politics right now is that Maxime Bernier has quit the conservative party because they aren't "Real conservatives" to start the People's Party of Canada (With Blackjack and Hookers).  His main reason is that the conservative party isn't racist enough, er supports "extreme multiculturalism", doesn't want to abolish popular government programs like single payer healthcare and are too mean to Donald Trump, supporting Trudeau in fighting back in the trade war Trump started instead of just letting him do whatever he wants.

Most left wing Canadians I know are thrilled by this, since even a 2% vote split on the right would practically guarantee more Trudeau majorities, but after how many idiotic far right clowns end up winning I really don't want to take a chance on a Canadian UKIP.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:20:05 pm »
Fuck Trudeau.

Also, fuck Scheer and fuck Bernier.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
I know right, so damn unfair that Bernie Sanders can't run in every single country ever./s
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »
I know right, so damn unfair that Bernie Sanders can't run in every single country ever./s

I'd rather have Elizabeth May, honestly.

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trudeaus-luck-1.4836956

But Neil MacDonald explains why we're going to get Justin Trudeau again.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:46:47 am by dpareja »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 07:00:10 pm »
Oh, Kellie Leitch...

"Elites" means people with letters after their name that are unambitious suckers who work in education, research or human services instead of clambering up the greasy pole like they're supposed to.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 11:23:26 pm »

I certainly didn't vote for the crook.

And once again, populism wins--populist conservatism, because the left couldn't make its own populist case convincingly enough.

Populism has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Ford won because people here hate Kathleen Wynne and since she's a Liberal, that means "it's the Conservative's turn now".  The NDP have no chance thanks to the stupid legacy of Bob Rae.

And personally, if the choice is Justin Trudeau or a battery of wackos from the CPoC, I'm going with Trudeau.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »
Populist doesn't seem to have anything to do with what a candidate actual says but if they campaign based on yelling instead of facts.  Wynne raised the minimum wage to $14 an hour, cracked down on wage theft and introduced pro-worker laws and didn't get an once of credit for it.  Doug undid a lot of that and didn't lose a "populist" support.