Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1600058 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2730 on: August 15, 2013, 04:33:34 am »
[snip]

Cue a bunch of anti-vaxxers whinging about polio and smallpox already being on the decline prior to the introduction of vaccines, and the usual cries of "Well, my friend's kid totally caught the measles after getting his shots, so obviously this single data point disproves everything". Oh, and don't forget to stir a little bit of "What's worse, chicken pox or autism?" into the shit stew.
If someone said that last one to me, I'd just reply "Chicken pox". Not because I believe it's worse, but because I love giving the answer that was so obviously wrong to rhetorical questions.

I consider chicken pox the right answer to that question. Chicken pox, if you catch it too late in life, can be itself fatal. Autism is only fatal when other people are complete shitheads.
Nah, only some forms of autism are okay. Like, Aspergers? Yeah, people with Aspergers can do pretty well for themselves. Other people with autism will never be able to live alone, ever. To me, the most terrifying thing in the world is losing my intelligence. That scares me far more than death ever will.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2731 on: August 15, 2013, 05:09:48 am »
As someone with Asperger's, I can vouch for that. In high school, I helped work with some of the more severely autistic children. Some of them will never be able to even speak, let alone anything more advanced. Plenty of autistic people can function, but the worst cases are truly debilitating. Not that it's really relevant here, as there is literally no evidence tat vaccines cause autism.

By the way, if I seem more aggressive than normal, It's cause I'm irritated that my otherwise rational parents have bought into the anti-vaccine nonsense.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2732 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:32 am »
As someone with Asperger's, I can vouch for that. In high school, I helped work with some of the more severely autistic children. Some of them will never be able to even speak, let alone anything more advanced. Plenty of autistic people can function, but the worst cases are truly debilitating. Not that it's really relevant here, as there is literally no evidence that vaccines cause autism.

By the way, if I seem more aggressive than normal, It's cause I'm irritated that my otherwise rational parents have bought into the anti-vaccine nonsense.
Ahh, that sucks. Point is, yeah, Chickenpox > Severe autism. Hell, if I was going to have a kid and the doctors said she'd have that level of autism, I'd definitely prefer an abortion. That's just a hellish existence.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2733 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:36 am »

That is actually a good point. Limiting the rights of people just because of their sexual orientation is wrong but certainly not the only questionable thing Russia has done lately. As usual the article that comes with the comic goes into much deeper details:
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/index.php/2013/08/14/putins-worst-crime/

(I would also like to note that even though the comic is just covered in labels, in this case several of those are necessary. Well, I think Gaddafi and Pussy riot would have been recognisable without them.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2734 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:02 am »
As someone with Asperger's, I can vouch for that. In high school, I helped work with some of the more severely autistic children. Some of them will never be able to even speak, let alone anything more advanced. Plenty of autistic people can function, but the worst cases are truly debilitating. Not that it's really relevant here, as there is literally no evidence tat vaccines cause autism.

Pseudo-science in general tends to piss me off, but the thing that makes anti-vaccination campaigns particularly repugnant is that they put children at risk through absolutely no fault of their own, and have had some pretty major repercussions for society as a whole. When we have outbreaks of measles, whooping cough and other serious diseases resulting from a movement, it's difficult not get angry about it.

That being said, I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that anti-vaxxers didn't become relatively mainstream before the elimination of smallpox or the virtual elimination of diseases like polio in most countries. Not that the measles or whooping cough are anything to sneeze at, of course.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2735 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:49 am »

That is actually a good point. Limiting the rights of people just because of their sexual orientation is wrong but certainly not the only questionable thing Russia has done lately. As usual the article that comes with the comic goes into much deeper details:
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/index.php/2013/08/14/putins-worst-crime/

(I would also like to note that even though the comic is just covered in labels, in this case several of those are necessary. Well, I think Gaddafi and Pussy riot would have been recognisable without them.)

I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have figured out what any of those were without labels :(

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2736 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:32 am »

Pseudo-science in general tends to piss me off, but the thing that makes anti-vaccination campaigns particularly repugnant is that they put children at risk through absolutely no fault of their own, and have had some pretty major repercussions for society as a whole. When we have outbreaks of measles, whooping cough and other serious diseases resulting from a movement, it's difficult not get angry about it.

That being said, I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that anti-vaxxers didn't become relatively mainstream before the elimination of smallpox or the virtual elimination of diseases like polio in most countries. Not that the measles or whooping cough are anything to sneeze at, of course.

Suspect the reason the anti-vaxxers are becoming mainstream is that most people don't remember what it was like before vaccination, so they don't balance the risks properly. By modern standards the smallpox vaccine is stupidly high risk and dangerous, but the risk was accepted because everyone knew what smallpox did to people.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2737 on: August 15, 2013, 10:48:48 am »
Suspect the reason the anti-vaxxers are becoming mainstream is that most people don't remember what it was like before vaccination, so they don't balance the risks properly. By modern standards the smallpox vaccine is stupidly high risk and dangerous, but the risk was accepted because everyone knew what smallpox did to people.

I think that's a pretty good guess. Just like the people who complain about seat-belts and alike, the two main arguments are:

-The small risk that comes with the cure is not acceptable. Even though the alternative is much more dangerous, they either don't realise or do not care that those huge deathtolls might return if they get their way.

-Freedom of choice to do stupid things. Which should stop when it starts to put others in danger as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2738 on: August 15, 2013, 11:59:53 am »
We should pass around photos of third-world smallpox (or whatever) sufferers.

Of course, they'll be in denial but perhaps we can convince the less insane ones to change their tune.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2739 on: August 15, 2013, 12:06:59 pm »
I'm reading this thread while my life long case of severe tinnitus caused by rubella is in fucking over-drive - louder than a passing truck. I got immunized, but back when German measles/rubella first appeared in the U.S., we didn't have the ability to update and quickly distribute new vaccines like we do today.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2740 on: August 15, 2013, 12:41:53 pm »
We should pass around photos of third-world smallpox (or whatever) sufferers.

Of course, they'll be in denial but perhaps we can convince the less insane ones to change their tune.

Smallpox is eradicated worldwide, but polio is still endemic in a number of regions.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

wrightway

« Reply #2741 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »
Also even if you are lucky and catch it early in life, chicken pox puts you at risk of shingles which I have heard is an agonizing disease which in about 1 in 5 cases causes severe lasting complications, and may be linked to increased risk of cancer.

chicken pox is not a joke.

As someone who's had shingle (the pain was so bad I was afraid I was dying) I'd like to say a hail and hearty "Fuck you" to the anti vaxxers.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2742 on: August 15, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »
We actually think I caught chicken pox from my father, because he had shingles.

Not that I'm sure that's possible.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2743 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »
I got the vaccine. When I was little, my mom made me hug a friend with chicken pox and I didn't get sick, and I haven't gotten the chicken pox since, so I guess it worked. But later on, when she had my brother, she decided that it would just be better if he caught it early on. He caught it when he was a toddler and it lasted a month. Not fun.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #2744 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:26 pm »
I had it when I was like 6 or something, don't even really remember exactly.

(this was 20 years ago so the vaccine was not widely used, if I have kids I WILL get them vaccinated ASAP.)
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.