Author Topic: Origins of pregnancy pseudoscience  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Garrus Vakarian

• Neonate
Origins of pregnancy pseudoscience
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
We may disagree with Creationism, find it silly and ridicule it, but at least we know where it comes from, namely the Bible, as well as a complete misinterpretation/misunderstanding of some accepted scientific facts like the 2nd law of thermodynamics. On the other hand, Todd Aiken's views on rape not causing pregnancy don't actually seem to come from anywhere. It's certainly not biblical, and I don't know of any scientific fact that can be misconstrued or misinterpreted, even deliberately as evidence for the notion of rape not causing pregnancy. Similarly, some of the frontpage posters on radfemhub seem to think that female ejaculate contains enough sperm to impregnate another woman, despite this never having happened ever. I'm curious as to the origin of these ideas. Who dreamed them up? Why do people believe them?

Also, first post, so hi. Huge ME fan, so I went along with the theme.
Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

Distind

Re: Origins of pregnancy pseudoscience
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:08:43 pm »
I could be wrong, but as is a trend with these people it's perfectly likely that one day one of them reached into a dark, personal hole and pulled really hard until they came out an idea, and then the rest started nodding. It's pretty common.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would justify the views on rape, nothing biblical or even 50'ish science that I know of.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »
Conservatives need no basis for their facts.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:00 pm »
The idea that women need to orgasm in order to become pregnant dates back to at least the Middle Ages. I assume that's what Aiken was referring to. Of course, the fact that it's patently false, as well as the fact that orgasms can be caused by purely physical stimulation without any "enjoyment" on the part of the victim (I believe the phrase is "my body betrayed me"), doesn't matter, because
Conservatives need no basis for their facts.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
This is working under the assumption that extremism (have to be careful of how easily that term is twisted) is grounded into some sort of initial, sane cause. Such is not necessarily true.

The easy part is encouraging people to ask how and why such groups form. The hard part is to stay objective (NOT objectivism).

Also, first post, so hi. Huge ME fan, so I went along with the theme.

Sup fellow ME3 fan? I had changed my avatar and profile comments due to reflect how I want through the stages of grief due to the original, mind-numbingly horrible ending. Fun fact, IT still exists to this day.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:08 am »
I thought the rape thing was based in a mostly debunked study where the trauma of rape causes severe hormonal upheaval in the woman's body and as a result the body rejects the embryo. (It is similar to how women can cause an unintentional miscarriage by working to hard an getting too stressed out. The body panics and sees the woman's life as being in danger and thus chooses to miscarriage the child to prevent further resources being used on the child's development.) Similarly in forcible rape, there are generally tears and such on the inside of the vagina, a sign the police use to determine forcible rape, and probably misinterpreted as the uterus being damaged and unable to accept the embryo.

Of course what with facts being purely optional for people who like to make claims like these. The actual research paper was debunked as incorrect. However that is like those research papers on homosexuality that have been debunked for over 30 years which are still brought up and waved around in support of their agenda.

As for the one on female ejaculate, there are just no words to describe how much science and biology that fails. It is probably a misconception around the word ejaculate. The meaning behind ejaculate is not sperm, but of a fluid forcibly squirted out. Hence women can ejaculate but the fluid is just normal vaginal fluids. There is no sperm involved. (unless she had sex with a guy recently in which case it may contain some of his sperm.)

Personally I would love to know how the women on radfemhub can be so pro-women, but clearly have little understanding of the biology of women. I can understand the republicans not understanding or knowing about female biology, after all there is a reason why the Grindr app saw a 200% increase in traffic over the RNC. However one would think that actual females would know about how their body actually works.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:44:09 am »
Conservatives need no facts.

Fixed it for you.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
The whole idea came from a guy named John Wilkie.  Yes one doctor and while it seems odd for people to jump on a crazy idea of one doctor remember it only took one doctor in the UK to make countless people think MMR is stupid.