Author Topic: Who says Captain Planet villains don't exist IRL?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
Who says Captain Planet villains don't exist IRL?
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:05 am »
Yeah, you know Captain Planet. That cheesy kids show with villains who had absolutely no realistic motivation for trashing the Earth. They just wanted to pollute the environment for the hell of it because they were bad guys. Bet you didn't think anyone like that existed for real, right? Well, never fear! The Randroids are here to prove you wrong!

http://www.atlassociety.org/ele/blog/2013/03/21/vanquishing-earth-hour-darkness

Some environmental groups sponsor an annual event called Earth Hour. It encourages people to turn off their lights for an hour to show support for environmental causes and get them thinking about what they can do to reduce their impact on the environment. Of course, the Randroids are having none of that!

If it were an event to get people appreciate electricity or cut their electric bill, they'd be fine with it. But since it's for the environment they're gonna turn on every light in the house and waste resources just because the Earth is only here just for us to use whatever way we want and destroy if we feel like it!

My favorite part:

The “environment” is of value only relative to humans.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:44:07 am by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Art Vandelay

Re: Who says Captain Planet villains don't exist IRL?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:51 am »
Needless to say, those people are fuckwits. This is coming from someone who absolutely despises Earth Hour.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:50 am »
Christ, what a bunch of spiteful dicks
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Distind

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:10 am »
Needless to say, those people are fuckwits. This is coming from someone who absolutely despises Earth Hour.
Not a fan of meaningless, do nothing events myself. But they're still better than mean spirited, meaningless, do nothing events.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26:34 am »
Seeing in Utah Earth Day is celebrated by promoting drilling

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:13 am »
This isn't the first time I see such "counter protest" against Earth day.

It still sounds so childish and petty.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:56 am »
Wow. I don't pay attention to Earth Hour at all, but if I did I wouldn't contemplate deliberately turning on every light (and probably doing other things like cooking something in the oven and running the washing machine and dryer and so on).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:22 am »
Not a fan of meaningless, do nothing events myself. But they're still better than mean spirited, meaningless, do nothing events.
If it was purely benign, then I'd agree. However, however there are now quite a lot of people who genuinely believe that not only does turning off a light translate directly to a few less grams of coal being burned at the power plant, but also that turning off the lights and burning oil-derived paraffin candles is actually good for the environment.

Now an Earth Hour that would actually make a real impact, both in terms of actually reducing pollution and giving people a more realistic taste of the sacrifices that'll need to be made if we're to get a handle on climate change? Actually shut down a few power plants for an hour, let people see what it really means to use noticeably less electricity. Not during a time when everyone's at home and has nothing better that sit around feeling all smug about themselves, either. No, do it during either morning or afternoon peak hour. Especially in a major city, where lots of people rely on electricity fuelled trains to get to/from work. Now that would be a real, actually meaningful Earth Hour. Though for some crazy reason, I'd wager all of the armchair hippies would suddenly become hard core climate change deniers.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »
Earth Hour may not help much, but it certainly isn't a detriment. That's more that can be said for these spiteful imbeciles.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
The “environment” is of value only relative to humans.

...and if we destroy the environment, there won't be anything left to hold value, relative or otherwise, you fucking idorts.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »
The environment is of value only relative to humans. We might value a forest because we can walk through it and enjoy its beauty or because we can harvest its trees to build our homes.

Or because the trees provide us with clean air. Or because is houses thousands of different animal species which are also valuable to the environment. The idea that the environment (why is it in quotations does it not exist to this asshole?) is only of value only relative to one species is insane.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:51 pm »
Words fucking escape me.  Wait, if they did I'd have more to say.

I'm tempted to do a point-by-point rebuttal of this assfuckery.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »
Hah. I got bored and looked up Earth hour criticisms. I found this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9MqNzQuuk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9MqNzQuuk</a>
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:07 pm »
But the purpose of Earth Hour is “a massive show of concern for the environment.” It does not simply raise consciousness about real issues like polluted water or air that might harm human beings
LOL as if anyone on that blog gives a shit about conservation or environmentalism.

Symbolism as well as substance matters. And the symbolism of Earth Hour is truly antithetical to human well-being. The “environment” is of value only relative to humans. We might value a forest because we can walk through it and enjoy its beauty or because we can harvest its trees to build our homes.
I propose that we kick those clowns Randroids off the planet to see how well they can survive in space with no oxygen. After all, oxygen is relative to the “environment.”

I apologize to clowns the world over for comparing them to Randroids. As clowns provide a service to society by being a source of humor and frightening small children while Randroids do not.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:31:09 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:33 am »
This isn't the first time I see such "counter protest" against Earth day.

It still sounds so childish and petty.

I think "petty" is an understatement here.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter