Author Topic: Family leaves autistic son at social services office  (Read 2691 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Family leaves autistic son at social services office
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/05/01/ottawa-autism-son-left-government-services.html

Unable to get enough help from social services, an Ottawa family says they had no choice but to leave their son — who is living with severe developmental delays — in the hands of the government.

Amanda Telford said she brought her 19-year-old son Philipp to a provincial developmental services office on Tuesday and left him there.

Telford said Philipp is living with a severe form of autism that has him functioning at the level of a two-year-old. He also has Tourette's syndrome and insulin-dependent diabetes.

So, yeah. I'm not entirely sure what to think of this. Certainly the young man needs the sort of help he clearly wasn't getting at home, but just abandoning him at the office? This seems to me to be a bit of a stunt to draw attention to how shitty the system is.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Re: Family leaves autistic son at social services office
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
From the sound of the article, it sounds like they'd exhausted all other options, and the government simply wasn't moving fast enough (or at all) to get him into a more permanent solution.  While we're only getting the family's side of the story, it sounds like leaving the office with a fait accompli may have been their only option.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
Jesus, those poor people...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »
No family could cope with this panoply of problems.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Distind

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:15:58 pm »
The idea of giving someone with an adult's strength and a two year olds development a regular set of insulin injections terrifies me. It had to be heart breaking, but how in the blazes is anyone going to manage that? I don't see how anything short of in house care or straight on institutionalisation is going to help.

wrightway

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:35 pm »
It doesn't sound like they had a lot of options. It's certainly better than dropping him off at a homeless shelter.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure this was very heartbreaking for the parents to do, but they were pretty much left with no choice. With the cuts in social programs, medical and mental in Canada (and here in the US) parents like these two are desperate for any help and they aren't getting it, so they have no choice but to practically abandon their children.

It's sad...real sad.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
DAMN IT! WHY DON'T THEY CUT MILITARY! I HATE POLITICIANS! I hope the Canadians ditch Harper & I hope America votes the TEAliban out in 2014! This is nuts!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14:39 am »
Hey, Spuki? can you just... stop? y'know, go take a chill pill or three dozen? you're not acting terribly rational lately, and it's getting tiring.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:04:34 am »
Any one of these things would have been exhausting for anyone to deal with, especially for a parent who is obviously not getting any much-needed assistance, around the clock--that's precisely why nurses aren't on nonstop 24-7 duty. They would burn out. There's three problems here that would have been difficult but manageable singly, but instead they're all together. These people stuck it out for nineteen years. Without help they can't go on or they will kill themselves and THEN what will happen?

I wonder if the kid is aware anything strange is going on?
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:35:02 am »
Hey, Spuki? can you just... stop? y'know, go take a chill pill or three dozen? you're not acting terribly rational lately, and it's getting tiring.

Alright, I'll chill. YEESH!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
Well, now he's got a place to stay for a bit:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/05/03/ottawa-teen-autism-place-to-stay.html

His mother said Thursday the agency has found temporary space for him at an Ottawa group home.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:16:29 pm »
I really, really feel for people who have children with severe autism (and other crippling disabilities). It's heart-breaking to see as they grow up, and you have to take care of them for the rest of your life. Plus you have to worry about where they'll go after you die.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades