Author Topic: Camel bones argument against Bible?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Camel bones argument against Bible?
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »
Source

So dating on these bones indicate an inconsistency in the Bible on the camel's presence at the time.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Camel bones argument against Bible?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »
If it's true, all it means is that a few mistakes were made.  It doesn't automatically invalidate anything else.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »
<fundie>Yeah, but that doesn't prove anything, everyone knows carbon-dating is flawed and inaccurate.</fundie>
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »
If it's true, all it means is that a few mistakes were made.  It doesn't automatically invalidate anything else.

No one said it did.

But now you've gone and opened that can of worms :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

No one said it did.

But now you've gone and opened that can of worms :P

It implies that the stories in the Torah were oral traditions that were not written down until ancient Hebrew became a written language, apparently later than once thought.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »
Dude. The shape of the earth is a valid argument against the bible, or at least against the bible being unchangeable literal TruthTM.
*prepares marshmallows for flame war*
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:19 pm »
You mean something in the same book that had talking burning bushes, a woman turned to a pillar of salt, Jonah living inside a whale for several days, and a man rising from the dead....has a historical inaccuracy?!?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:19 pm »

It's not about the camels per se. If someone could make a mistake big enough as including an animal that wasn't there, one should strongly doubt that the source is reliable.
Σא

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:25 pm »
Jonah living inside a whale for several days,
It wasn't a whale! It was a "great fish!"

/fundie

*As if that makes a damn bit of difference.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
Am I the only one who felt the blogger's tone undercut his message?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:49 am »
The blogger's tone was immature, frankly. I'm an atheist, so I don't see the point of belaboring the "accuracy" of the bible. It's an important collection of ancient folk lore, that had a lot of influence over the course history and civilization took in the western world, both bad and good. Believers take comfort in it, as is their right. As long as religious do not harass others, impede progress and try to rule everyone according to their personal views, it's all good.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 01:58:07 am »
As long as religious do not harass others, impede progress and try to rule everyone according to their personal views, it's all good.

There's only one problem with that strategy: it's not good for the long-term survival of a religion, much less making it grow into a world religion. If believers aren't willing to stick to their guns and expand their religious influence through the earthly powers-that-be, they will watch their religion wither and die within a few generations (which should really concern them if they believe the supernatural claims of their own brand of bullshit). I'll give the fundies credit for at least having courage in their convictions.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 02:08:43 am »
Have to say, I agree with Ironchew here. As we advance in knowledge, moderately religious people tend to fade away, leaving only fanatics. Personally, it does me no harm if you privately believe it what I honestly believe is bullshit, but few people actually do that. Religion is about obedience and faith, so keeping quiet leads to death of the faith.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 02:24:10 am »
<old fuddy duddy mode on>

Back when I was young, most people went to church, and none of this super proselytizing fundie crap was going on. With the minor exceptions of Jehovah's Witnesses and the occasional Mormon teen boy on his w/e the fuck it is year of mission work, open proselytizing and the politicization of religion in America didn't start until the late seventies, and went hand in hand with the resurgence of conservative politics leading up to Reagan's election.

If anything, the fundie revolution has turned people off of religion. They are killing it, because if people aren't fanatics, they don't want them.

I strongly recommend you read Bishop J. S. Spong's books about this topic. Link to amazon page so you can click the "look inside" to see what he's like  http://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Bible-Fundamentalism-Rethinks-Meaning-ebook/dp/B000FC27Z4/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391757614&sr=1-9

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 03:13:25 am »
<old fuddy duddy mode on>

Back when I was young, most people went to church, and none of this super proselytizing fundie crap was going on. With the minor exceptions of Jehovah's Witnesses and the occasional Mormon teen boy on his w/e the fuck it is year of mission work, open proselytizing and the politicization of religion in America didn't start until the late seventies, and went hand in hand with the resurgence of conservative politics leading up to Reagan's election.

If anything, the fundie revolution has turned people off of religion. They are killing it, because if people aren't fanatics, they don't want them.

I strongly recommend you read Bishop J. S. Spong's books about this topic. Link to amazon page so you can click the "look inside" to see what he's like  http://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Bible-Fundamentalism-Rethinks-Meaning-ebook/dp/B000FC27Z4/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391757614&sr=1-9

Most people went to church, though. Christianity held enormous sway in the United States, it was us versus the "godless" commies/reds, prayer in public schools was the norm until Murray v. Curlett in 1963, and atheists were reviled (Madalyn Murray O'Hair was the most hated woman in America, no small thanks to her lawsuit that successfully ended public school prayer).

Maybe you had a different experience -- I honestly can't say for sure what life was like back then. Much of what I have read indicates that the United States was much more religious then, and religiosity has been on a steady decline. The reactionary attitude of fundies post-Roe v. Wade is them seeing the writing on the wall: "Your religious privilege is slipping away. Proselytize now or watch America slide into godlessness." With savvy televangelists like Jerry Falwell pulling the strings, it's hardly surprising that there's been a fundie backlash in the political landscape; they were the same people who were less abrasive about their religion in the past precisely because they got everything they wanted.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.