Author Topic: Breanna Mitchell's Auschwitz Selfie  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Breanna Mitchell's Auschwitz Selfie
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:49 pm »
http://nypost.com/2014/07/21/smiling-auschwitz-selfie-sparks-twitter-outrage/

A young woman on Twitter has received an overwhelming amount of backlash recently because of a cheerful selfie she took at the Auschwitz concentration camp.

“Selfie in the Auschwitz Concentration Camp,” wrote Breanna Mitchell, who tweeted the photo on June 20.

One month later, the picture, complete with smiley face emoticon in the caption, went viral and sparked outrage among Twitter users who made the photo a trending topic on Sunday.

“@PrincessBMM How can you be happy and smile in this pic? Do you not understand the horrors and murders that happened here? I’d be crying,” one Twitter user said in response to the selfie.

“The Auschwitz Concentration Camp Selfie. A new low in vanity,” another tweeted.

“@PrincessBMM @ianbhough Did you manage to take any of you laughing inside a gas chamber or maybe one with your head stuck in a cremator?” one user added.

Since Sunday, Mitchell’s original Auschwitz selfie has generated nearly 4,000 retweets and over 2,600 favorites, with many people actually defending Mitchell on the photo.

“Taking a smiling selfie at Auschwitz? Kinda disrespectful, even if unintended. Harassing teenager online because she did it? Not okay,” a user said.

“Y’all acting like the girl took a selfie with Hitler himself, chill,” another tweeted.
This is gonna become an exploitable.  I guarantee it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Breanna Mitchell's Auschwitz Selfie
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »
You are aware this is a non-story right?

Ironbite-cause it is.q

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:38:03 pm »
Sometimes I really hate my generation.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »
Sometimes I really hate my generation.

Yeah, those past generations were so much better! Them and their nice, family-friendly hatred of the gays and brown people and Asians and poor people and Jews and....
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »
Outrage theatre. "Oh look at me, I am very angry at this thing which affects literally nobody! I am a moral person and righteous is my anger!".

Someone did something, possibly in poor taste. Nobody cares. Nobody should care. Publicising this only feeds the self-sustaining outragefest of people wanting to prove themselves superior to others via moral sensibilities.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »
I think it's pretty well established at this point that people will take "selfies" pretty much anywhere.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:38:45 pm »
I've heard of weirdos taking selfies with dead bodies. There was some gal who was touring a morgue or something and decided to pose with a stiff. Needless to say, folks got miffed. :P

I can understand folk's anger but a simple reprimand would've sufficed, not an outrage campaign.

Now, if she was doing something really stupid in the Auschwitz photo, like mooning or something......

This kinda makes think of Justin Bieber's Anne Frank debacle.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »
I've heard of weirdos taking selfies with dead bodies. There was some gal who was touring a morgue or something and decided to pose with a stiff. Needless to say, folks got miffed. :P

I can understand folk's anger but a simple reprimand would've sufficed, not an outrage campaign.

Now, if she was doing something really stupid in the Auschwitz photo, like mooning or something......

This kinda makes think of Justin Bieber's Anne Frank debacle.

Dude, I would totally take a selfie with a corpse if I could think of a good joke for it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:14:50 pm »
Outrage theatre. "Oh look at me, I am very angry at this thing which affects literally nobody! I am a moral person and righteous is my anger!".

Someone did something, possibly in poor taste. Nobody cares. Nobody should care. Publicising this only feeds the self-sustaining outragefest of people wanting to prove themselves superior to others via moral sensibilities.

Pretty much this.  It wasn't in the best taste, but the faux outrage is hilarious.  They're practically using their righteous anger to bully the poor girl. 

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:11 am »
I've got to concede that this was in very poor taste, bordering on offensive.  Then again, my mama and daddy taught me fucking etiquette when I was a kid.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:45 am »
A gentle admonishment is all this girl needed, not an outrage campaign.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »
Eeh, I think she just needs a good, long earful from her parents about offensively insensitive behaviour.  Anything above that is overkill.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:44 pm »
Young people do thoughtless things.  I'm sure no disrespect was intended.   "Holier than thou" is almost a reflex reaction  nowadays. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »
Have some respect Breanna, my great grandfather died an Auschwitz.
He got drunk and fell out of a guard tower. ;D

Some days I almost wish I had a twitter account just to see how many aneurisms I could cause.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 07:25:30 pm »
It's not that hard to sign up for one :P

As far as selfies, period, go, I find it hard to muster any hatred towards this particular fad.  It's just taking a picture of yourself with a certain style.  Far too much energy is wasted on hating it.  Might as well hate taking pictures, period.

As far as taking a selfie in Auschwitz goes... that is disrespectful, but the outrage more so.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet