Author Topic: John McCain ending treatment for brain cancer  (Read 1347 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
John McCain ending treatment for brain cancer
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:38:21 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/senator-john-mccain-discontinue-medical-treatment-1.4797810

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) has decided to end the treatment he has been receiving for his brain cancer.

Mostly I hope he lives long enough to see Trump leave office, because nobody who said that he "prefer[s] people who weren't captured" has any business being at McCain's funeral.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: John McCain ending treatment for brain cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:14 pm »
Sadly I doubt he'll survive the month.

Ironbite-but that'll be just long enough to screw up Kavannauh's nomination.

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:42:36 pm »
McCain's been a reliable vote for shitty GOP judicial nominees. If someone flips (Collins, maybe) he'll make it into the Senate to push the vote to 50-50 so Pence can break the tie. The Dems need two people to flip (probably Collins and Murkowski). If he dies before Kavanaugh comes to a vote, Gov. Doug Ducey (R-AZ) will nominate someone posthaste so that the Republicans have 51 votes on the floor again.

EDIT: And of course that assumes that the entire Democratic caucus holds, which I wouldn't count on.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:50:27 pm »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/john-mccain-obituary/index.html

Wow, I thought he had maybe weeks or a couple of months left. But not immediately.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:18:42 pm »
...that cannot have been pleasant.

He is tortured at the peak of his life, and he dies torturously.

Rest well, John.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:41:45 pm »
And now, as I noted, he gets the indignity of either having the President not be at his funeral or having someone at his funeral who said that he preferred people who weren't captured.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 10:21:01 pm »
I may not have agreed with him politically, but he was a respectable man and congressman who I feel would have had a real chance at winning the presidency if he didn't choose Palin as his ruining mate. He wasn't afraid to go against his own party and I believe he was respected by both parties. If more Republicans could only be like him.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
I'm not celebrating McCain's death, but I also can't say that I'm mourning him. I never wished death upon him (that's specifically reserved for people whose deaths will literally make the world a slightly better place. This list really only consists of Rupert Murdoch and Donald Trump at the moment), but for me, he's always been the face of Republican hypocrisy. He actively sought to eliminate social services and was actively helping Republican fascism, even if he himself wasn't a fascist (and I emphasize, I don't think the man was a fascist). All the while hiding behind a reputation of being a "maverick" when literally the only ways I can think of him not supporting Trump are limp dicked criticisms and voting against repealing ACA.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:12:05 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:28:09 pm »
Don't forget that (at least at one point) he did support campaign finance reform, his name's on McCain-Feingold after all. (Mitch McConnell said the worst day of his political career was the day Bush signed McCain-Feingold.) He was more of a maverick earlier in his career, but swung toward regular GOP positions later on when he was preparing to make another Presidential run in 2008, because in 2000 all the donors went to Bush (and the push polling in South Carolina about his having an illegitimate black child didn't exactly help).

A major black mark on McCain's legacy though was his constant warmongering--the only thing you can really say on that point is that at least he wasn't a chickenhawk like many other warmongers.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 03:25:13 am »
I've seen a lot of Trump voters celebrating. And unfortunately almost as many "social justice" twitter people joined them.

I wouldn't wish this fate on anybody. Cancers a motherfucker. Rest in Peace now Senator.