Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 389536 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2415 on: July 10, 2018, 04:00:32 am »
I've given up on the Supreme Court. Just another far right branch of government. I certainly won't be taking their rulings with any seriousness.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2416 on: July 10, 2018, 04:17:51 am »
Amy Barrett.

She was the religious right's poster girl. They were saying she was God's anointed one for the Supreme Court.

So just knowing THAT, I know she's a complete and total fucking lunatic.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2417 on: July 10, 2018, 04:30:58 am »
Amy Barrett.

She was the religious right's poster girl. They were saying she was God's anointed one for the Supreme Court.

So just knowing THAT, I know she's a complete and total fucking lunatic.

How do you determine which adjective (if any) to omit when talking about other Republicans?  :P
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2418 on: July 10, 2018, 04:48:51 am »
I just know that we got off lucky with this guy.

Keep in mind, Kavanaugh is a guy who a lot of the really conservative types hate because the way his dissent in a case involving Obamacare was worded allowed the Obamacare penalty to be codified as a tax.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-picked-the-wrong-judge/2018/07/09/d356f84a-83de-11e8-8589-5bb6b89e3772_story.html

This loon, from the opinions section at Washington Post, brings up the Obamacare thing as a point against Kavanaugh from the right wing perspective.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2419 on: July 10, 2018, 12:00:15 pm »
Making the ACA constitutional (mostly) under the Taxation Clause was what allowed the GOP to repeal the penalty through reconciliation, which now means that, since there's no penalty for the mandate, it's arguably unconstitutional, quite possibly in its entirety.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2420 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
he has accepted "big money" including from the NRA, he previously had an A+ NRA rating, he said--on national television--as recently as 2006 that he supported "Hillary Clinton's" crime bill and opposed gay marriage, he voted for the largest Wall Street Deregulation ever. Where is his ideological purity test? *Crickets*

A couple of these claims need some checking. I had hoped someone else would have done it since I don't really care to involve myself in this debate.

the highest rating Sanders has had from NRA was a C- and the most common one has been an F. NRA didn't give any money to him, they had an $18 000 ad campaign against his opponent in his first House election since the Republican representative in question had voted for the assault weapon ban and as a result NRA saw Sanders as the lesser evil. Whether this ended up being true is debatable since while Sanders has a mixed record with gun legislation in general (12 votes for control, 13 against) he has consistently voted for banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines.

When it comes to gay marriage it's a bit difficult to get an exact reading on Sanders's past. While opposing anything restricting it he has been very careful with his words and timing when supporting it. The one time in 2006 when he  said he doesn't think Vermont should legalise gay marriage it was qualified statement: "not right now, not after what we went through." This is immediately after he helped shoot down a proposed constitutional amendment defining marriage as heterosexual only so it seems he wanted to wait for emotions to settle down from this confrontation first. IMO doesn't sound like a reason I would agree with but taken on a face value and in the context of his history on this issue it just sounds like a careful politician. There is an open letter from '70s where he is explicitly calling for gay rights but after that he seems to have been more sensitive to political winds. In the context of a purity test you can take this however you want but I felt this point needed a bit of clarification.

If my opinion on the issue has any weight I think the blindness for Sanders's faults is mainly due to people seeing him as a personalization of the idea of challenging the Democratic party establishment. When you get into a position like this where people form an emotional attachment to you it's difficult for them to see your faults. With there being actual unfair and dishonest attacks at him and his past it's easy for his supporters to dismiss also honest and factual criticism as part of "mainstream media / Democratic establishment bias". There is a slightly creepy personal attachment people often form to the politicians they support if they are seen as a representative of an idea. This was true also with Hillary and I've observed it in Finnish politics, too, with candidates like Pekka Haavisto.

Thing is, I'll admit you're right on a lot if it. The gun stuff I went from memory and botched it, albeit Politifact even notes several problematic positions he took on guns over the years, particularly on more prominent legislation. My larger position, though, was simply that Bernie is not perfect, and demanding ideological purity from one candidate (particularly a pragmatic, uninspiring politician) while not demanding it of others, is incredibly short-sighted, and it cost us our only real shot at a liberal Supreme Court for decades. It is not unrealistic that I could be living out my retirement before the Court gets a liberal majority, and as I've noted more than I care to remember, it matters in a lot of different policy areas.

And, again, abortion was nice while it lasted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:07:29 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2421 on: July 10, 2018, 11:12:33 pm »
Let's just hope the next statement like that doesn't have the phrase "any semblance of democracy" in place of "abortion." I'm bloody worried about the direction the US is taking under Trump.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2422 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:24 pm »
Let's just hope the next statement like that doesn't have the phrase "any semblance of democracy" in place of "abortion." I'm bloody worried about the direction the US is taking under Trump.

You think the US has any semblance of democracy left? Buckley, Bellotti and Shelby County between them effectively dismantled real democracy in the US.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2423 on: July 11, 2018, 12:04:48 am »
And this is why I prefer the TVTropes forums over this for political discussion.

Every time Trump looked like he was getting us into a fight overseas, everyone on here just went nuts predicting armageddon.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2424 on: July 11, 2018, 12:17:50 am »

You think the US has any semblance of democracy left? Buckley, Bellotti and Shelby County between them effectively dismantled real democracy in the US.
Well Russia has "elections" too I guess.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2425 on: July 11, 2018, 01:26:24 am »

Well Russia has "elections" too I guess.

Oh, the US isn't as bad as Russia, I'll concede that. But when you compare it to much of Western Europe, or Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, it's clear that the US does not measure up.

Plus, it fails one of the biggest red-flag tests that international elections monitors look for: are elections run by partisan officials? In the US, the answer is a resounding "YES" because elections are run by state Secretaries of State, who are (usually) partisan. (Contrast here, where one of the very few exclusions from the right to vote--otherwise nearly absolute for citizens; I think the only other bars are age and residency, which you can get around if you go physically to where you last lived in Canada--is the head of the elections agency, along with the deputy head.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2426 on: July 11, 2018, 01:31:53 am »
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/gop-strategist-warns-bad-things-will-flow-rancher-pardons-trump-giving-oxygen-ultra-right-militia/

Trump has pardoned the crazy militia that had an armed standoff with the authorities.

...Because of course he did.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2427 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:04 pm »
Actual domestic terrorists?  Fine people.  People who've been unjustly jailed?  How's their skin tone?

Ironbite-god he's the worst.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2428 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:32 pm »
Correction: the pardoned people were poachers who started a destructive wildfire to get rid of the evidence of their crime. They're not from the Bundy mob but did serve as the inspiration for Bundy and his weird revolt.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2429 on: July 11, 2018, 05:34:34 pm »
Correction: the pardoned people were poachers who started a destructive wildfire to get rid of the evidence of their crime. They're not from the Bundy mob but did serve as the inspiration for Bundy and his weird revolt.

The real kicker is that when they were first sentenced, the judge ignored the mandatory minimum sentence for what they did (5 years) and gave the dad 3 months and the son 1 year.

And they were still terrorists, they repeatedly threatened the federal employees working on the federal land next to theirs.

Apparently mandatory minimums apply if you're a black kid caught with pot but not if you're a white conservative domestic terrorist.

EDIT: Though the mandatory minimum was imposed when the government appealed.

EDIT #2: Meanwhile, Trump told Angela Merkel that Germany is controlled by Russia because Germany buys gas from Russia.

Merkel, of course, grew in East Germany.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:43:52 pm by dpareja »