Author Topic: Vaccine to prevent cancer  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
Vaccine to prevent cancer
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »
http://www.uga.edu/about_uga/profile/the-cancer-vaccine/

When cells become cancerous, the sugars on their surfaces undergo distinct changes that set them apart from healthy cells. For decades, scientists have tried to exploit these differences by training the immune system to attack cancerous cells before they can spread and ravage the body.

Now, researchers at the University of Georgia Cancer Center have synthesized a carbohydrate-based vaccine that - in mice - has successfully triggered a strong immune response to cancer cells. The finding, published in the October issue of the journal Nature Chemical Biology, brings the scientists one step closer to a much-sought-after "cancer vaccine."

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
Re: Vaccine to prevent cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:44:25 pm »
Well, that is a terrible press release. It's not published in Nature Chemical Biology like it says, but at PNAS. Unfortunately, I can't read the whole text yet. I'm hesitant to get too excited over this, as it has so far only been successful in an animal model and not yet in humans. I would also be shocked if it was effective in all cancers, although if it works in even a single type of cancer, fantastic.

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »
Well, that is a terrible press release. It's not published in Nature Chemical Biology like it says, but at PNAS. Unfortunately, I can't read the whole text yet. I'm hesitant to get too excited over this, as it has so far only been successful in an animal model and not yet in humans. I would also be shocked if it was effective in all cancers, although if it works in even a single type of cancer, fantastic.

Hmm, didn't know there was a mix-up in the publisher. Although I too think this would be great if it worked even on just one type of cancer.

This source says human testing might start this year.

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:08 pm »
Awesome, I sincerely hope it works. I'm just, skeptical, about anything so promising.

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »
Awesome, I sincerely hope it works. I'm just, skeptical, about anything so promising.

Actually there have been other reports this year of possibly very very successful cancer treatments (one coming from my (de facto) alma mater UPenn comes to mind). So we may really be at the verge of the new era of cancer treatments.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »
We probably are, in part because of the pace at which molecular biology is exploding. But, I shall reserve skepticism until after the clinical trial is finished.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:41:51 pm »
But... but... vaccines are supposed to cause cancer! /conspiracy theorist
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:46:17 pm »
This is i guess good news i personally wish they fount a cure for AIDS but one miracle at a time.

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
Oh, there's a cure for AIDS, there's a man, Timothy Brown, who was used to have it and no longer does. It requires a bone marrow transplant from somebody with genetic resistance to the disease. Unfortunately, the transplant is actually more dangerous than AIDS due to being able to control it (mostly) with antiretrovirals.

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:52:29 pm »
This is i guess good news i personally wish they fount a cure for AIDS but one miracle at a time.

A safe and effective one might be coming down the pike too.