Author Topic: "You're Generalizing!!!!!!111"  (Read 2947 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
"You're Generalizing!!!!!!111"
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:57 am »
AHHHHH!!!  I'm so sick of this!!

When ever someone points out the oppressive nature of fundamentalism, someone is bound to accuse the OP of generalizing all Christians as bigots or homophobes, even when it's so obvious that the OP was talking about the fundamentalists!!!

Even so, can you really blame someone for saying something like "I'm sick of Christians telling me how to live"?  Unlike race or gender, Christians are an ideology.  They follow a set of beliefs and some of those beliefs happen to involve telling others how to live.  It should be obvious that if the OP was venting about Christians telling others how to live, he was only talking about the ones who tell others how to live.  Getting on someone's case because they didn't preface something with "I know this isn't all Christians" just distracts from the point that the OP was trying to make. 

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: "You're Generalizing!!!!!!111"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:12:45 pm »
When it comes to that no true Scotsman bullshit, I just take digs at the whole group. If your ideology is so fragile that any criticism threatens not only the ideology but all who hold it, I will gladly criticize it more.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:24:58 pm »
All that shit you said there, I hate it so much. Not only in Christianity (one group of people who take themselves too seriously) but also in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fandom (and other fandoms where people take themselves too seriously, like Doctor Who, Sherlock, Supernatural, Homestuck, Attack on Titan, Dangan Ronpa, etc.). While yes, it's annoying when people generalize all fans of the show as 'Bronies' - something I've already mentioned so damn many times, a bunch of insecure bullies who ignore the feminist message of the show (where they are openly misogynistic and antagonistic of Feminists) - I'm so sick of the fandom, especially Bronies themselves, pulling the "But we're not all like that!" card.

This fandom, even the show itself would be more tolerable when they cut this shit out, and also cut it out with their 'feels' toward their 'waifu' (any of the Mane Six, etc.) and toward the removal of Ask Princess Molestria and Ask Gamer Luna.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »
In fairness, some of these people may have learning disabilities.  Maybe they just don't understand.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:31:41 pm »
Right.  And if someone said "Boy, I wish [insert ideological group you're a part of or like here] weren't fucking assholes!" there's a good chance you'd get a bit defensive too, even if they didn't mean "everyone in the group."

It's easy to bitch and wine and moan about people getting defensive when you're on the attack, but considerably less easy to do when you're the one associated with the attacked group.  This is doubly true if you're automatically meant with scorn just for being associated with the group.

Also @Alehksunos:  Uh...Gamer Luna has become a separate blog independent of the Princess Molestia blog now.  Also, as far as I can tell, "waifu" is self depreciating humor about how much a person likes a particular character.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:51 pm »
Also @Alehksunos:  Uh...Gamer Luna has become a separate blog independent of the Princess Molestia blog now.  Also, as far as I can tell, "waifu" is self depreciating humor about how much a person likes a particular character.

• Ew, Gamer Luna is still around. Why can't its followers watch Love Hina or some other Harem anime instead?
  • I didn't know most people who have legitimate crushes on fictional characters only jokingly use "waifu"...

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
This fandom, even the show itself would be more tolerable when they cut this shit out, and also cut it out with their 'feels' toward their 'waifu' (any of the Mane Six, etc.) and toward the removal of Ask Princess Molestria and Ask Gamer Luna.

What's wrong with Ask Gamer Luna? Are you SERIOUSLY going to continue to give the artist shit for doing Ask Princess Molestia (that's MOLESTIA, not Molestria.  For the love of the Dark, if you're going to badmouth something, you could at least deign to get the name right) first and getting hilariously popular for it?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:07:11 pm »
Ask Gamer Luna is basically CTRL + ALT + DEL with Ponies and JJ's mediocre at best artwork.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:44 pm »
Can we please not bring back the insipid My Little Pony thread derails? Have we all forgotten what happened last time that was thing around here? The My Little Pony thread exists for a reason, let's keep that nonsense there, if you all would be so kind.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:51 pm »
Sorry, Art.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »
Art, it's mostly my fault. I just wanted to say how these people remind me of the shit I have seen frequently from fandoms where a majority of its following are passive-aggressive fucknuggets. The MLP fandom especially...

Can we just say when people pull the "But we're not all like that" card, it's always annoying regardless and it just derails and distracts the actual issue? Even leading to these shitty Powerpoint presentations with blank backgrounds, MS Comic Sans and anime characters?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:51:16 pm by Alehksunos »

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
The problem with "Were nt all like that!!!1!one!!" posts is 1) thank you, captain obvious and 2) what do you hope to accomplish by pointing that out besides derailing the discussion?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:30 pm »
If you say crap like "We're not all like that," that just tells me you are "like that" and you're being defensive. If you truly are not "like that" your actions will speak for themselves.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
If you say crap like "We're not all like that," that just tells me you are "like that" and you're being defensive. If you truly are not "like that" your actions will speak for themselves.

I"ll remember that the next time someone bashes a group you're part of.  Of course, that's assuming you don't just decide "Oh, well this person is a part of group x, so their criticism can just be ignored."
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:57 pm »
The problem with "Were nt all like that!!!1!one!!" posts is 1) thank you, captain obvious and 2) what do you hope to accomplish by pointing that out besides derailing the discussion?

Good point.