Author Topic: 11 million Americans spend half their income on rent  (Read 4092 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
11 million Americans spend half their income on rent
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:44:24 pm »
[removed]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:12:06 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 11 million Americans spend half their income on rent
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:57:17 pm »
When you start a topic with a link like this you should give a short explanation of what the topic is about, what's behind the link AND what you think about the subject.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:12 pm »
The trend is similar in Finland. Over here one of the culprits are actually unions since they own a large portion of the cost controlled apartments and they have been raising rents so much that in some parts of the country it's easy to find more affordable rental apartments outside the affordable housing system. This is harming the consumer demand for goods which in turn is harming the struggling economy. Many right wingers justifiably point out to this hypocrisy and also use it to direct attention away from their austerity policies and how they are also driving the consumer demand down.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »
The rent goes up but since poor people get some government assistance for their rent that means that they can (barely) afford to live and this in turn means that there is no incentive for the companies to lower the rent... So basically tax payer money is circulating and going into the pockets of unions and the others who own a lot of apartments and the cost of living keeps getting higher.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/22/real_estate/rent-affordability-housing-harvard/

11 million Americans spend half their income on rent. Fuck poverty, housing is a right.
Sounds an underestimate if anything.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:00:31 pm »
The neocon way to eliminate poverty: put everyone in poverty out on the street. Then they'll die, and there won't be anyone in poverty anymore!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »
The neocon way to eliminate poverty: put everyone in poverty out on the street. Then they'll die, and there won't be anyone in poverty anymore!

Less bad publicity than a neutron bomb:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I</a>
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:35:22 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 06:56:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

Really, I thought my proposal was very modest.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:34 am »
The solution is easy:

1) Build more than enough dwellings (so deregulate zoning rules)
2) In cities with lots of sprawl, demolish it
3) A residency tax on absent landlords without tenants.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
I say we just abolish HOAs.  That'd get rid of a major barrier of entry to home ownership, right there.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:43:36 am »
The solution is easy:

Would you believe there's actually more housing available then there is homeless?  Utah saw that and took action.

Ironbite-by giving the homeless their own places and drastically cutting their homeless rate.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 11:25:05 am »
The solution is easy:

Would you believe there's actually more housing available then there is homeless?  Utah saw that and took action.

Ironbite-by giving the homeless their own places and drastically cutting their homeless rate.

And it ended up being ultimately cheaper, if I recall. (BUT SOSHULIZM!)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:02 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5SwyTvAHw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5SwyTvAHw</a>

You all knew this was coming.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?