Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 272142 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #1110 on: January 23, 2018, 06:50:36 pm »
Like they did with the Irish and Italians back at the turn of the century? Yeah, that makes sense. Pull the race color card once more slot. They've already decided Catholics are Christian (only) when counted on the census.

And Finns, by the way. For a while you weren't sure if we were just a bit too Asian/Mongol looking to be included in the glorious White race.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1111 on: January 23, 2018, 08:22:03 pm »
Like they did with the Irish and Italians back at the turn of the century? Yeah, that makes sense. Pull the race color card once more slot. They've already decided Catholics are Christian (only) when counted on the census.

Were the Irish and Italians ever considered outright non-white? I know they were thought of as "lesser," but I didn't think they were thought of as different races.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #1112 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
 Yeah, below middle European but above middle eastern. The signs used to read Irish and Negros Need Not Apply. Same with Italians, depending where and when you were here.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1113 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
https://www.hameensanomat.fi/kolumnit/343803-hairintakeskustelu-lahti-laukalle

...I am going to have to translate the relevant points of this but this is a bad one.

this is a column by a Finnish reporter where he complains about the waves of the "me too" movement hitting Finland. The union of journalists had a survey on how many reporters have faced sexual harassment and came up with the results being 50% ...This reporter then complains that since the survey only asked 2% of journalists in Finland this means that only 1% have ever been victims of harassment and men are merely being portrayed as harassers. Which in itself shows that they have no idea how surveys work.

He then goes on to downplay the examples of harassment by commenting that most of the incidents were yawn worthy. Also, he realizes that he has done a lot of the things that women complain about and since HIS wife liked being treated like that then it means that no woman actually dislikes it and therefore this is all "exaggerations and mass hysteria."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #1114 on: January 24, 2018, 11:12:58 am »
this is a column by a Finnish reporter where he complains about the waves of the "me too" movement hitting Finland. The union of journalists had a survey on how many reporters have faced sexual harassment and came up with the results being 50% ...This reporter then complains that since the survey only asked 2% of journalists in Finland this means that only 1% have ever been victims of harassment and men are merely being portrayed as harassers. Which in itself shows that they have no idea how surveys work.

This survey was done by the Journalists' Union and he might have a seed of truth in his criticism. If the survey was done by just sending it to all the members it would not be representative - having encountered harassment means you are more likely to go through the trouble of answering it than if you haven't encountered harassment. It doesn't mean that his idiotic implication that every single harassed person answered the survey is the truth either, the percentage would just be lower than what the survey shows. Unfortunately, based on a quick search the Journalists' Union doesn't appear to have published this survey on their website so it might also have used a completely statistically valid method for all we know. In either case the number of people having been harassed seems to be alarming.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1115 on: January 24, 2018, 10:24:45 pm »
There's also the question of how they define "sexual harassment" to consider. Do we know?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1116 on: January 25, 2018, 01:11:05 am »
Grabbing boobs "accidentally" while pretending to trip, grabbing a woman and kissing them without a warning, walking up to a fellow employee and suddenly whispering "I'm horny" in their ear, giving a dick shaped mic to a female reporter and saying "as a woman, I'm sure you can appreciate this *wink wink*" and so on.

Obviously there are men who fall victim to harassment as well. Like a guy who said that a woman who is his superiour has been harassing him for years and everyone at the office simply thinks that it is funny, or drunk older ladies trying to drag a young guy off to the side at an office party because they got horny and don't think that he has anything to say on whether or not to have sex.

Also complaints that reporting harassment to bosses rarely helps as victims aren't believed or the behaviour isn't seen being wrong.

https://www.journalisti.fi/artikkelit/2017/13/hirint-kaikissa-muodoissaan/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1117 on: January 25, 2018, 03:48:37 am »
My position on abortion remains the same. Don't want one? Don't have one.
Ah, yes, I call this one the "Jefferson Davis" position.

You know you've gone a bit too far when...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #1118 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:42 am »
Because abortion = slavery ?? ???

Also vaguely ironic - not for the Yankee Godwin, but for the fact that most evangelical pro-'life'rs kinda heart JD deep down. (Abortion - WW'JD'D? Fundie head asplodes...)

It'd be a bit like pulling an actual Godwin on Stormfront. Depending upon context and execution - either classy trolling, or a massive fail.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1119 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:27 pm »
I've experienced this garbage firsthand. A friend of mine is personally opposed to abortion but still supports a woman's right to choose. The Stephen Douglas comparisons got old long ago.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1120 on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:36 pm »
Because abortion = slavery ?? ???

Also vaguely ironic - not for the Yankee Godwin, but for the fact that most evangelical pro-'life'rs kinda heart JD deep down. (Abortion - WW'JD'D? Fundie head asplodes...)

It'd be a bit like pulling an actual Godwin on Stormfront. Depending upon context and execution - either classy trolling, or a massive fail.

Oh, it's not trolling. He's firmly pro-life.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1121 on: January 26, 2018, 03:28:17 am »
Libertarians: Everything is slavery and rape.

Also Libertarians: ...except slavery and rape.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/7qxyaq/this_is_the_quality_of_debate_you_can_expect_on/dst84f9/?context=8

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1122 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:37 am »
Libertarians: proof that even otherwise smart people can be knuckle-dragging retards.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #1123 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:45 pm »
Reddit really is the new Youtube.

Their comments section is where faith in humanity goes to die!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #1124 on: January 26, 2018, 10:58:46 pm »