Author Topic: True domesticated Foxes as pets now available  (Read 8227 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
True domesticated Foxes as pets now available
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »
A 58 year long genetic experiment in Siberia has created domesticated foxes. You can buy one for $7000.

Mavrik, the object of Trut's attention, is about the size of a Shetland sheepdog, with chestnut orange fur and a white bib down his front. He plays his designated role in turn: wagging his tail, rolling on his back, panting eagerly in anticipation of attention. In adjacent cages lining either side of the narrow, open-sided shed, dozens of canids do the same, yelping and clamoring in an explosion of fur and unbridled excitement. "As you can see," Trut says above the din, "all of them want human contact." Today, however, Mavrik is the lucky recipient. Trut reaches in and scoops him up, then hands him over to me. Cradled in my arms, gently jawing my hand in his mouth, he's as docile as any lapdog.

Except that Mavrik, as it happens, is not a dog at all. He's a fox. Hidden away on this overgrown property, flanked by birch forests and barred by a rusty metal gate, he and several hundred of his relatives are the only population of domesticated silver foxes in the world. (Most of them are, indeed, silver or dark gray; Mavrik is rare in his chestnut fur.) And by "domesticated" I don't mean captured and tamed, or raised by humans and conditioned by food to tolerate the occasional petting. I mean bred for domestication, as tame as your tabby cat or your Labrador. In fact, says Anna Kukekova, a Cornell researcher who studies the foxes, "they remind me a lot of golden retrievers, who are basically not aware that there are good people, bad people, people that they have met before, and those they haven't." These foxes treat any human as a potential companion, a behavior that is the product of arguably the most extraordinary breeding experiment ever conducted.

It started more than a half century ago, when Trut was still a graduate student. Led by a biologist named Dmitry Belyaev, researchers at the nearby Institute of Cytology and Genetics gathered up 130 foxes from fur farms. They then began breeding them with the goal of re-creating the evolution of wolves into dogs, a transformation that began more than 15,000 years ago.

source - http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text/1

I want a fox for a pet now lol.  To bad I don't have $7000 to throw down on one though.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: True domesticated Foxes as pets now available
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »
Can we potty train them?

Speaking of domesticating animals, I would like to see the Ocelot and Condor as pets.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:40:35 pm »
I want miniature domestic bears.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »
I want to see domesticated alligators and crocodiles, tbh.

But foxes are awesome, too :D

That is quite interesting.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »
As long as they don't start inbreeding the foxes to exaggerate genetic deformities, and then enter these animals in expensive shows so that their owners win money, then I'm cool with this.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »
I'd love a domesticated bear. If they could be tamed, they'd not only be awesome pets, but also perfect for keeping burglars away.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:31 pm »
Until they domesticate lions and or wolves  I personally won't care.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »
Yeah, I do wish someone would get around to domesticating wolves. I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of all these boring old dogs.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:33 am »

"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:58:13 am »
Adding my voice to the "There are domesticated wolves; they're called dogs" bandwagon.

As for lions, if it's big kitties you want, I seem to recall the ancient Persians had domesticated cheetahs used for hunting, though I'm not sure how well behaved they were.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 04:00:09 am »

Well played, sir  *applauds*

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:00 am »

I know someone at my school that has a wolf puppy.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 04:22:52 am »
Apparently the Russians have been breeding domestic wolves too.  Apparently for people who think a rottweiler isn't hardcore enough.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:28 am »
Can we potty train them?

Yes.  As I understand it, a lot of fox owners use a litter box for their pets.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »
Dogs are just very physically altered wolves.

And also (to the OP), they've already domesticated the silver fox and the fennec fox so this is hardly the first.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)