Author Topic: "Zombie" Fly Parasite Killing Honeybees  (Read 7378 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
"Zombie" Fly Parasite Killing Honeybees
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »
A heap of dead bees was supposed to become food for a newly captured praying mantis. Instead, the pile ended up revealing a previously unrecognized suspect in colony collapse disorder a mysterious condition that for several years has been causing declines in U.S. honeybee populations, which are needed to pollinate many important crops. This new potential culprit is a bizarre and potentially devastating parasitic fly that has been taking over the bodies of honeybees (Apis mellifera) in Northern California.

John Hafernik, a biology professor at San Francisco State University, had collected some belly-up bees from the ground underneath lights around the University’s biology building. “But being an absent-minded professor,” he noted in a prepared statement, “I left them in a vial on my desk and forgot about them.” He soon got a shock. “The next time I looked at the vial, there were all these fly pupae surrounding the bees,” he said. A fly (Apocephalus borealis) had inserted its eggs into the bees, using their bodies as a home for its developing larvae. And the invaders had somehow led the bees from their hives to their deaths. A detailed description of the newly documented relationship was published online Tuesday in PLoS ONE.

The team performed a genetic analysis of the fly and found that it is the same species that has previously been documented to parasitizie bumblebee as well as paper wasp populations. That this parasite hasn’t previously been reported as a honeybee killer came as a surprise, given that “honeybees are among the best-studied insects of the world,” Hafernik said. “We would expect that if this has been a long-term parasite of honeybees, we would have noticed.”

The team found evidence of the fly in 77 percent of the hives they sampled in the Bay Area of California, as well as in some hives in the state’s agricultural Central Valley and in South Dakota. Previous research has found evidence that mites, a virus, a fungus, or a combination of these factors might be responsible for the widespread colony collapse. (Read more about colony collapse disorder in our feature “Solving the Mystery of the Vanishing Bees.”) And with the discovery that this parasitic fly has been quietly killing bees in at least three areas, it might join the list of possible forces behind colony collapse disorder.
source - http://news.yahoo.com/zombie-fly-parasite-killing-honeybees-230200867.html

Well I wonder where this fly came from,  since colony collapse is a relatively new problem.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
Re: "Zombie" Fly Parasite Killing Honeybees
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:18:21 pm »
I would venture a guess that if it is the reason for colony collapse (or a significant contributor), it's due to something we did to mess with the environment. Maybe because it's warmer, maybe we killed a predator of it, maybe we introduced more food for the adults, or some other thing I'm not thinking of.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
I would venture a guess that if it is the reason for colony collapse (or a significant contributor), it's due to something we did to mess with the environment. Maybe because it's warmer, maybe we killed a predator of it, maybe we introduced more food for the adults, or some other thing I'm not thinking of.

Mad scientist. Probably.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
Maybe the guy who made those fucking Cazadors did it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »

Mad scientist. Probably.

*hides door to secret underground lab*
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
True mad scientists experiment in public.

Tiberius

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »
If I had started this thread, I would have titled it "ZOMBEES!"

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:26:21 pm »
First the honeybees, then the larvae will move on to bigger and nastier prey, and before you know it, we will have a Type III infestation of animal zombies, and soon, human ones....

Could the flies carry the dreaded Solanum virus, and if so, should we begin prepping for the zombie hordes?

On a serious note, this reminds me of the fungus in the rain forest that turns ants into the walking dead. It carries far more unfortunate implications, in that the bees don't know enough to get the living dead corpses far and away from the colony, like the ants do.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:24 pm »
I knew a lady who thought that cell phone towers were killing the bees.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 01:39:11 am »
NO!  NOT THE BEES!  NOOOO!!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 05:26:09 am »
Pollination is becoming a huge concern.  With the rate of hive collapse, there could be a very serious issue with raising many types of crops.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?