Author Topic: How do we save FQA  (Read 23282 times)

shykid

Re: How do we save FQA
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:04:38 pm »
I rather like the Fundie Wiki idea, provided that we swap out "tone similar to ED" for "tone similar to Rational Wiki" (i.e., humorous and mocking, sans the B-tard crap), and use the expanded definition of "Fundie" to include the non-religious variety -- political nutters ala Moonbattery and Freepers, conspiracy theorists, racists, etc.

I normally hate "this" posts, but...

This, more or less.

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:09 pm »
I can't really see that simply attaching FQA to an already-established site will do much to preserve the community as it stands. I mean the attraction of the place, the reason it still exists, the reason I still recognise so many of the usernames here, and indeed the reason I even stopped by again is due to the closely-knit and friendly community. Honestly it never had too much to do with the fundies, and I think if you invite a wave of new users you risk diluting that and it will just turn into a big faceless mess of people agreeing with each other, and the occasional fundy troll.

The other route of course, which the forums have been down before, is everyone getting all to emotionally invested in the community and each other, and at least the older members of the forums have seen what that can lead to. So yeah, I think something new needs to be made, be it a blog or a podcast of a wiki, or whatever. Something that'll keep a steady enough flow of new blood to stop the forums dying or getting all clusterfucky, but not so much that they cease to be recognisable. Of the various suggestions, I'd be pretty inclined to suggest a blog/podcast over a wiki; I think it'd be hard to tread new ground with a wiki, and really the market for mocking fundies in wiki form is limited at best. Just my £0.02 though.
Oh look it's me.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »
I saw this society blog, and they are well known and established, then saw they have a sidebar of affiliated sites, including some that are/were on the sidebar at FSTDT. Looks like a lot of science professionals post articles there. I have no idea if they'd be interested in listing us, since that's obviously Sigma's prerogative to ask them, if it looks viable in the first place.

http://www.skepticblog.org/
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:42 am »
I already mentioned it in Thread Killer, but come to think of it, it may be a viable solution. FSTDT has been dead for the past month. It's probably worth a shot to see if Distind is willing to hand it over. While he wasn't exactly in the most helpful of moods when the split happened, a good bit of time has passed and that site is just dead weight to him, so he may be a tad more interested. Anyone else think it's worth a shot?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 08:27:02 am »
Well, there's no reason not to try. The worst he could do is say no.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 09:40:24 am »
Worth a shot, I suppose.  I don't mind us going back to being the FSTDT boards, or staying FQA and having us linked to it, so long as Distind stays the hell away from us.  Or at least me.  Last thing I want to see is more uber-macho posturing from a broken down has-been admin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »
So for all the stink Distind raised about the site...he's just let it die?!

Ironbite-poor poor Winace.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:27 pm »
Well, this is a tad embarrassing, but as it turns out, it's not dead. I forgot that American dates are backwards, so I what I thought was a quote from the 3rd of January was actually 1st of March. I love it when I make a complete knob out of myself like that.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 02:20:24 am »
I'm with Antichrist on that. I was thinking we should also do something like TVTtropes regarding fundies as well.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 02:22:18 pm »
I'm with Antichrist on that. I was thinking we should also do something like TVTtropes regarding fundies as well.

TVTropes is close. We just need less Fast Eddie.

Fast Eddieeeeeeeeeee...!

Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline QQuestion

• Neonate
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 11:19:45 am »
Huh, I'm uber macho now too. Goody. Distind here for a moment.

Anyway, short version of the question, has someone been trying to get hold of me regarding handing over FSTDT?

If you have, well, there are better ways than what I got a couple days ago. I'm not as opposed to it as you might guess, but I'd want to be sure the person to take the site over has the ability to manage it, develop it and be able to deal with the odd spammer. If you're interested I do occasionally check the mailbox my whoisguard drops crap into, but please do not use the quote submission page, a disposable email, and a hide my ass proxy to send a cryptic message inviting me to email you back. Just say what you want to say and I'll listen. I'm not really looking to get rid of it, so it'll be a bit of a sell. But if I have reason to believe you can administrate the site as well or better than I can(which isn't all that hard), then we can talk about the crap no one bothers to think about while making such requests and see if it can get squared away.

Anyway, if people actually want it I'm willing to toss the FQA link on the mainpage, but unless someone else is taking over the main site it's not becoming part of FSTDT again. And as I said back before I left most any site you guys, or some segment of you guys start pushing that's relevant to FSTDT I'm willing to link. That said, an ED for fundies I wouldn't as the mainpage is bad enough without added circle jerk.

I still say a community tumblr or something could work, unless more people have dropped off than I'd guess there are plenty of interesting views on these boards and they could be something constructive if they were used in a fashion other than yelling at each other.

Don't plan on sticking around aside from looking for a response on the link, if you emailed me, try actually emailing me next time and I'll actually respond. If you launch something you think is relevant, like I said, my whoisguard address will eventually get to me, I'll take a look at it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 11:45:29 pm »
Anyway, if people actually want it I'm willing to toss the FQA link on the mainpage
That'd be quite nice. I can't speak for Sigma or anything, but I'd image most of us would like that.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 07:12:40 pm »
I'll drop Distind an email. Unless someone wants to take over FSTDT?
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 07:21:21 pm »
I was thinking we should also do something like TVTtropes regarding fundies as well.

Good idea, though I think it might work better as a blog article (or series of articles) than a stand alone site. Maybe have a thread for people to submit ideas, and collect the best ones for the main page?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 08:41:15 pm »
I jsut want to take over the world.