Author Topic: “postmodern, operatic grunge"? YES PLEASE!  (Read 1408 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
“postmodern, operatic grunge"? YES PLEASE!
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:25:05 am »
The decision to set Rusalka - a version of The Little Mermaid - in a brothel populated by provocatively dressed prostitutes perplexed some critics.

The trolls have gone to British theater with their troll fics! Yay! Hooray!

"This is not uncommon in opera," said the Danish director, who was appointed last year.

Here comes the butthurt!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/opera/9111257/Rusalka-Royal-Opera-House-review.html (NSFW)

Protip click the abovelink, the very first image on the page contains nudity!

Obligatory:

Sadly, this is to be expected. Normally I would state, “over the course of the review Rupert Christiansen transitions from snobbery to offended that sexuality and violence exist in opera.” But such a statement is inaccurate. The snobbery is ever present because he is literally butthurt over nudity. I was under the impression that a critic or reviewer was supposed to be trained to critically analyze a media. An important aspect of which is to avoid bias based upon appearance. I honestly would not be surprised if he did not read the original fairy tale Den lille havfrue.

From start, stay pure Britain:
Imported from the Salzburg Festival, it is a prime example of the pompous intellectualism which now dominates Eurozone theatre, and I only hope that the furious booing with which it was greeted at the curtain call means that it will be returned to sender at the earliest opportunity.

To fail, boobies in mah theater?!?:
W&M simply use the opera as a pretext to re-cast Rusalka as a pathetic small-town brothel whore who craves suburban respectability. Girls run around in their scanties, blood is shed and it’s all quite nasty. This slick concept wears very thin very fast, and apart from the witty transformation of a huge pantomime black cat into a slinky real one, I found nothing either amusing or edifying along the way.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
Re: “postmodern, operatic grunge"? YES PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:16 am »
From start, stay pure Britain:
Imported from the Salzburg Festival, it is a prime example of the pompous intellectualism which now dominates Eurozone theatre, and I only hope that the furious booing with which it was greeted at the curtain call means that it will be returned to sender at the earliest opportunity.

To fail, boobies in mah theater?!?:
W&M simply use the opera as a pretext to re-cast Rusalka as a pathetic small-town brothel whore who craves suburban respectability. Girls run around in their scanties, blood is shed and it’s all quite nasty. This slick concept wears very thin very fast, and apart from the witty transformation of a huge pantomime black cat into a slinky real one, I found nothing either amusing or edifying along the way.

This is the Telegraph we're talking about here. They're one of Britain's saner right-wing publications and can be read by those with an IQ over 50 without their brains dribbling out of their ears, but they're still going to poshly intone that something is Just Not Cricket if bewbies are revealed.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.