Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Society and History / Re: Gillete Ad Upsets Manosphere Crybabies
« Last post by Art Vandelay on January 17, 2019, 11:19:07 pm »
All I said was that he reminds me of someone, which he honestly does, not that he's definitely a sockpuppet.
« Last post by niam2023 on January 17, 2019, 10:57:51 pm »
PLEASE at least wait for some other evidence to come in. This will just make us all look utterly paranoid.
The Lounge / Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Last post by Chaos Undivided on January 17, 2019, 09:54:15 pm »

Apparently, it's not just white supremacists who edit Garrison cartoons.
« Last post by niam2023 on January 17, 2019, 09:14:09 pm »
...oh dear not this again...
« Last post by ironbite on January 17, 2019, 07:59:38 pm »
No you're not the only one.
« Last post by Art Vandelay on January 17, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »
Just out of curiosity, does Mr Undivided here strongly remind anyone else of a certain someone, or is it just me?
« Last post by Chaos Undivided on January 17, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
...Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this.

I think a good way to determine if something is sexist against men is to add the adjective "black" and see if that makes it racist. With that in mind, let's imagine this commercial was targeted at black men.

What's the result? Black males being portrayed as violent, perverted assholes, and a heavy implication - if not an outright statement - that most black men either do that kind of shit or are complicit in it. Wouldn't you say that's racist?

Honestly, while I'm not as offended as some of these complainers, the ad still gets under my skin. But if you're not offended by it, whatever. You're entitled to your opinions.
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by dpareja on January 17, 2019, 11:54:42 am »

Well, that's for the voters of IA-4 to decide, should Rep. King resign.

Exactly, the voters can elect someone else to the position and that's what democracy in its modern form is supposed to be about. Elect someone to represent yourself but no one is above the law and if the elected person does horrible and/or illegal things they can be removed from the office. I would argue that the ability to remove leaders from office is as important to democracy as is the ability to vote for them in the first place.

Well, yes. My main point in this whole thing is not anything about whether Rep. King should resign, but rather people's ignorance of the procedure for filling a vacancy in the House of Representatives (as opposed to one in the Senate), which shows up in people of all political stripes.

I bet a good number of these people would view the US Constitution with some sort of near-religious reverence... but then they probably haven't read their religion's "holy" book(s), either.
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by Askold on January 17, 2019, 11:20:35 am »

Well, that's for the voters of IA-4 to decide, should Rep. King resign.

Exactly, the voters can elect someone else to the position and that's what democracy in its modern form is supposed to be about. Elect someone to represent yourself but no one is above the law and if the elected person does horrible and/or illegal things they can be removed from the office. I would argue that the ability to remove leaders from office is as important to democracy as is the ability to vote for them in the first place.
« Last post by Askold on January 17, 2019, 11:17:55 am »
a) Based on what I've seen the people who are mad at the ad are mainly the worst kind of people.

b) I like the way the ad was made and how it referenced their long time tag line.

c) Even if this was also an ad it's not like this kind of thing has never been seen before. How many times did the United colours of Benetton do something like this and instead of showing their product they highlighted issues that need fixing? Many of the complaints about this being just "virtue signalling" seem like an excuse to attack the ad. And even if this was done because they think that the controversy is beneficial it does bring up another positive thing. They think that taking this stance will not cost them customers, that the mouth-breathers and crybabies who think that "guys, we can be better to each other" is a message supported by the majority.

d) I am amused at the Mens-right activists who complain about the ad. They are always complaining that feminists and feminism should do something to help men and this ad is also taking a stance to help boys who suffer from toxic-masculinity. ...So now mens-right dudes are complaining because they don't want help from feminists?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10