Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1454828 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #7080 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:01 pm »
Anyone else played the original Witcher? Let's just say trying to make an action RPG with the same engine as Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins wasn't exactly the greatest of ideas.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:38:16 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7081 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »
Still impressive that they managed to make as good a game as they did, given how poorly-optimized the engine was.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7082 on: December 09, 2017, 07:47:44 pm »
Yeah, I'm certainly enjoying the game overall. Even the combat, if only the strategic side of it. Just a shame that anything involving timing and reflexes on my part tends to get lost in translation.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7083 on: December 09, 2017, 09:34:47 pm »
XD  Tell me about it.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7084 on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:10 pm »
Latest Fallout: New Vegas playthrough:

Samuel Clemens "Suitcase" Wayfarer.

Independence route (the only one I felt was worth taking).

Spent a LOT of time working for NCR just to preserve infrastructure needed for afterwards.

Spared Ulysses, and stopped the nukes. Saved the Big MT scientists, and have them working for me to help provide new breakthroughs to the Mojave as needed.

In my headcanon, convinced the NCR I was doing them a favor by not requiring them to help hold the Dam. Kept trade routes and broke the back of the Legion by killing Caesar and Lanius. Killing the Legion is just in my nature.

I still tossed that damned General from the Dam though.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7085 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »
My god, I'd forgotten how fucking mean it is playing Tremere in VtM: Bloodlines.  I can make people explode into a shower of blood and limbs...that then chains to any poor motherfucker within about 5 meters.  Blood Magic is fucking broken as HELL.  Oh, and using Dominate to start a mass seppuku party is always good for a laugh, too.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7086 on: December 23, 2017, 10:53:37 am »
Yet another entry into the "New Vegas' Caesar Demonstrably Knows Nothing of Ancient History:"

Watched a video where someone fully explored Caesar's dialogue tree (I don't bother, I just level a combat shotgun at his face) and...the guy's either a complete fucking retard or the accounts left over of Caesar (esp. De Bello Gallico) post-War are woefully inadequate.  Why?

Well, he compares his crossing the Colorado to Caesar crossing the Rubicon.  Allow me to explain precisely why he's full of shit.  Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BCE with the 13th Legion after having finished fighting the Gallic Wars.  He did so because his governorship of Further Gaul was at an end and feared that the corrupt political machine of Rome would put him on trial.

Vegas' Caesar?  He's crossing the Colorado in defiance of a more civilized nation, after having attacked and subjugated numerous neighbouring tribes.  He fights and enslaves all in his path, brutally executes his own men, and is by all rights utterly and completely barbaric; Julius Caesar would be insulted that this man was attempting to usurp his name.

Who is Vegas' Caesar acting like?  Well, we gotta look a little further back into history for that.  In 58 BCE, a tribe in modern-day Switzerland known as the Helvetii made plans to cross the river Rhone, wishing to both range in new lands and to slake their thirst for battle.  After the man who'd originally planned this action, Orgetorix, had committed suicide after his plan to use this as a stepping stone for power had been uncovered by his own people (the punishment for which was being burned to death), another rose to complete the plan which the Helvetii still wanted to enact: Dumnorix.  Dumnorix led the Helvetii to the border between Further Gaul and their own lands, where they met with Caesar, who denied their request to cross the Rhone because Caesar knew that they were a warlike people who would cause a great many headaches for those in his province.  Dumnorix then led his people (after several failed attempts to cross at night where they had initially camped) around a narrow pass and went by way of the lands of the Aedui.  What did the Helvetii do when they crossed?  Well, they raped, pillaged, and sold the children of the Aedui, Ambarri, and Allobroges as slaves.

Thus, Vegas' Caesar is acting nothing like his historical counterpart.  In all actuality, he's acting the part of Dumnorix (and, to a degree, Orgetorix) the Helvetii invader.  He's not crossing the Rubicon as he so grandiosely claims; he's crossing the Rhone.  As the barbarian horde.  All of this he'd know...if he'd bothered to properly read (or had access to) a copy of the very first book of de Bello Gallico.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7087 on: December 31, 2017, 11:01:30 am »
Got Final Fantasy VIII on Steam a few days ago for a meager handful of dollars.  I had forgotten how much I liked the game, even if some parts of it are a little...less than intuitive.  If nothing else, the characters' world models aren't super-deformed garbage like in VII.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7088 on: December 31, 2017, 11:08:54 pm »
Trying to decide what to hit up: Digital Devil Saga, or Okage: Shadow King.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7089 on: December 31, 2017, 11:37:08 pm »
I'm now playing Red Faction: Guerrilla. Knocking down buildings is fun, but behind that is a pretty boring and bog standard open world game that in all honesty have become really stale for me over the past couple of years. I'll be quite surprised if it holds my interest up until the very end.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7090 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:08 am »
I've been playing Kingdom Hearts 3D HD. A few thoughts:

1: I really wish they would have saved the Tron Legacy world for Kingdom Hearts III. Such a waste since we're probably never getting Tron 3.
2: I really wish Square would stop trying to reinvent the wheel with the combat system. I don't like the pseudo-Pokemon nonsense. It's not very fun and is just extra busywork. At the very least, they could have just reused all of Birth By Sleep's mechanics if they weren't going to use the system used by the numbered entries.
3: I really wish these games' titles weren't so fucking stupid.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7091 on: January 01, 2018, 10:52:05 am »
Got Yakuza Kiwami for Christmas, last week.  Holy shitballs, I've not had this much fun since Yakuza 0.  Bonus: its got more Majima.  Macchan is always a good thing to have in any game because he's just so damned fun.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7092 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:07 pm »
Majima. EVERYWHERE
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7093 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:55 pm »
Getting a new (read: "used but in better shape than mine") laptop tomorrow (unless the one that I'm interested in has been sold already) and do you know what that means? Stellaris time.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7094 on: January 01, 2018, 10:55:43 pm »
Majima. EVERYWHERE

There are very few combinations of two words that get me more erect.