Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1454835 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #7110 on: February 10, 2018, 03:18:59 pm »
A person on another message board I go to found it the most amazing game she ever played.

Ironbite-so opinions will vary I guess.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7111 on: February 11, 2018, 12:59:09 am »
The Trails series is like the Tales series was ten years ago. Despite being largely unremarkable (albeit, perfectly fine and I can think of much worse ways to spend 75 or so hours), it has a fanbase that treats it like it's the holy grail of JRPGs. I don't know why. Maybe it's because younger gamers didn't get to play the sheer number of great JRPGs from the 90s, but regardless of why, fans treat them like the best the genre has to offer, despite them being flooded with shonen anime and light novel tropes.

Also, I have had multiple people respond to me calling Trails of Cold Steel "just fine" with "it's just part one of four!" as if that means I can't judge a 50+ hour game on its own merits and that it can only be judged by entire series.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:01:25 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7112 on: February 11, 2018, 11:21:12 am »
We've already got the holy grail of JRPGs, its called Persona.

[ETA]

Holy shit, I didn't realize Dynasty Warriors 9 was coming out in a couple of days!  Hope I get my fucking student aide refund soon, daddy needs to conquer China again!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:02:25 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7113 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:33 pm »
Also, I have had multiple people respond to me calling Trails of Cold Steel "just fine" with "it's just part one of four!" as if that means I can't judge a 50+ hour game on its own merits and that it can only be judged by entire series.
If that's the case, I feel really bad for whoever has to review an Assassin's Creed game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:04:41 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7114 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:20 pm »
Latest RPG I'm challenging is called Wild ARMS 3. And let me tell you, it is a toughie. The graphics (PS2 game) hold up very well with the modern age, but those puzzles are BRUTAL.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7115 on: February 13, 2018, 11:55:27 pm »
If that's the case, I feel really bad for whoever has a review an Assassin's Creed game.

Funny enough, I actually cited Assassin's Creed in one particular argument.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7116 on: February 14, 2018, 09:13:18 am »
Dragon Ball FighterZ is actually pretty damned good; I was somewhat hesitant because I'm just not (usually) a fan of 2D fighters, but I find this to be one of the very few exceptions.  I'm quite pleasantly surprised!

The same, however, can NOT be said...about Dynasty Warriors 9.  I don't know what retard bug got into the collective mind of Koei Tecmo, but they chose a completely different dubbing company for the English voice overs.  I get that the English dub had always been more than a little cheesy, but that was part of its charm: it knew what it was and didn't try to hide it, it just had fun with it.

HOWEVER, that would be okay, if some of the voice actors would actually fucking try.  Liu Bei's new guy at least tried to put some fucking emotion and variation in his voice, and it shows because its easily the least grating I've heard.  The same cannot be said for Guan Yu and Zhang Fei: they both sound like out-of-work Boondocks voice actors that have gone through a botched lobotomy.  Their voices are fucking monotone and dull.  There's no fucking life in them.  Its especially notable in Zhang Fei, who is supposed to be this hot-headed, passionate, loveable alcoholic.  But, he just sounds bored.

I'll keep going, maybe the other actors tried like Liu Bei and these two are just the exception, but I am sorely disappoint, thus far.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #7117 on: February 14, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »
OK, I just started playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and I'm liking it so far.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7118 on: February 15, 2018, 04:14:33 am »
Trails of Cold Steel II: So we're done trying super hard to be Persona. Instead, we're going to try super hard to be Code Geass and Star Wars.

Latest RPG I'm challenging is called Wild ARMS 3. And let me tell you, it is a toughie. The graphics (PS2 game) hold up very well with the modern age, but those puzzles are BRUTAL.

Also, I meant to respond to this, but missed it somehow. I LOVE Wild ARMs 3. Virginia is one of my favorite JRPG protagonists ever.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #7119 on: February 16, 2018, 12:03:56 am »
Trails of Cold Steel II: So we're done trying super hard to be Persona. Instead, we're going to try super hard to be Code Geass and Star Wars.

Also, I meant to respond to this, but missed it somehow. I LOVE Wild ARMs 3. Virginia is one of my favorite JRPG protagonists ever.

Same. I have her on a Gatling build (10 ranks of weight, with plus 5 bullets) and she is a KILLER.

I see the game as a refreshing break from most any JRPG I played.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7120 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:19 am »
Wild ARMs 3 is like the developers only knew how to tell tabletop RPG stories and brought that to a video game. All of the party feels like something you'd see in a tabletop group, even the brooding loner the anime fan brought. It's great.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7121 on: February 16, 2018, 05:10:26 am »
Stellaris is fun as a multiplayer game. And in a week the game gets a massive update that changes FTL movement, star system control, borders and fleets. Also a DLC that brings Death-stars and other apocalyptic weapons.

It's gonna be fun and me and a few buddies plan to play it together.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7122 on: February 16, 2018, 10:42:26 am »
Getting back into Minecraft. I have to say, while Thaumcraft has a lot of really cool features (especially with the expansions), it's so fucking tedious to do even the simplest of tasks, at least at first. I really really do not like infusion crafting. Basic items and intermediary components should not take ten minutes of set up, only for it to go horribly wrong based on nothing more than random chance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:46:11 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7123 on: February 16, 2018, 10:43:47 am »
That's why I prefer ChromatiCraft.  It can be a bit more punishing in the early game (the pylons hurt a LOT, and there's only one way to stop the zaps), but at least you can rest assured that, if something goes wrong, its because you fucked up, and not the RNG.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7124 on: February 19, 2018, 05:28:00 am »
In all fairness, it turns out I'm just an idiot who didn't know how to build a proper infusion altar. A quick redesign and now it works so much better. Still rather time consuming to set up each craft, but at least now RNJesus can't fuck things up on a whim.