Author Topic: The sequel to Mississippi redneck, NY welfare leeches  (Read 9050 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
The sequel to Mississippi redneck, NY welfare leeches
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:01:07 am »
http://rackjite.com/archives/9454-Maher,-Pelosi-people-on-welfare-in-New-York-video.html

Last week Bill Maher featured interviews with the reddest of the red in MS, which seem to fit the liberal stereotypes of what Republicans are. Now, comes Alexandra Pelosi's interviews with the people in the welfare line in NYC. As you expect, they're also seemingly stereotypes of the welfare kings derided by conservative media.

Have fun.

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
Re: The sequel to Mississippi redneck, NY welfare leeches
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:12:09 am »
"Welfare king" isn't really the right phrase to use here. Searching for "welfare king" on the internet gives me lists of rich white men seemingly benefiting from the government somehow. I think "absent black father" is a more apt term. Also, I wonder how those people are satisfying the income requirements for welfare, given that at least one was apparently able-bodied.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:12 am »
I know that the purpose of these videos was to play on stereotypes, but I doubt these people are recieving "Welfare" as in TANF, because that program has more or less been turned into a jobs program since 1996,and have a cut off date of 5 years. It also fails to address the question of are the "baby mamas" the ones in the jobs, I've seen many guys just leech off the women.
Also as a die in the wool liberal, I want to punch these assholes, because they give a bad name to otherwise decent people who really need assistance.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:47:52 pm by nickiknack »

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
I use to manage a work crew of people who were habitually on unemployment...They would work for one or sometimes two financial quarters in order to qualify, and then get fired or disappear.  I was always teetering on this insanely fine line of feeling sorry for them, because they were raised fucking poorly-and wanting to tell them to grow the fuck up.     

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
So someone stepped up to the plate to defend red-neckism, eh?  Classy.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »
Do these idiots know that when they say things like this and abuse the system, they just fire up conservative folks to end the system? Even if they do abuse it (which they do), do they need to boast about it?

:Waits to see this come November as a GOP commercial:

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:42 pm »
Do these idiots know that when they say things like this and abuse the system, they just fire up conservative folks to end the system? Even if they do abuse it (which they do), do they need to boast about it?

:Waits to see this come November as a GOP commercial:

Take it up with Alexandra Pelosi, with this hasty made video. She did because she wanted to be "fair" and show both sides. And yes, one can clearly see that it was made in a haste. In the MS one, it seems to be a bit more in depth, this one seems to be very shallow, and it doesn't even acknowledge that there are cut off dates and requirements, and just in my opinion adds more fuel to the fire.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:51:16 pm by nickiknack »

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:26 am »
Well it might be noted attached to the video is an interview with Pelosi, so maybe some of the answers you seek might be in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlOWd2Afok

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:35:20 am »
As someone who would be ecstatic if McDonalds paid me to flip burgers at this point, I sort of want to kick the "I'll take a career, not a job" guy.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:39:12 am »
As someone who would be ecstatic if McDonalds paid me to flip burgers at this point, I sort of want to kick the "I'll take a career, not a job" guy.
You work a job while you look for a career. I'm still pissed about my situation, and I can't pay all the bills I get, but man/woman/cis/trans up for at least part time work while you look.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

You tend to need the later to get the former; very few career jobs are just going to hire any old guy off the street unless he's got one hell of a skill-set. And even then, in this economic climate, if you don't have a job when you apply for your dream career, they might just set you aside anyway because they don't know why you're currently jobless and there's nothing in their budget for giving a damn. If you (generic "you") just keep holding out for a career, you're going to find yourself with a massively out-of-date skill set and a major gap in your employment record that'll make you even more undesirable, and then a job might be the best you can get.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »
Well it might be noted attached to the video is an interview with Pelosi, so maybe some of the answers you seek might be in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlOWd2Afok

I saw it on Real Time on Friday night, the only thing she says in the interview, is that we spend more on corporate welfare than on social welfare, nothing new there. No acknowledgement that "Welfare" has been reformed since 1996, no acknowledgement on what type of "welfare" these leeches are looking for. No acknowledgement that the bulk of them probably don't vote to begin with, or probably can't vote because they may be felons, no acknowledgement that welfare fraud isn't as common as people like to make it out to be. You don't get anything of this. Also with the asshat who "wants a career rather than a job" she asks when was the last time you had a job, rather than how long have you've been on whatever program. That doesn't mean shit, I was unemployed for 2 years, I wasn't on welfare or food stamps. This leech could of been leeching off a girlfriend, or friends, or famliy for the five years, who knows?? As I said before it was done in a haste because she got blowback from the right over the Mississippi video.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
And yes, one can clearly see that it was made in a haste. In the MS one, it seems to be a bit more in depth, this one seems to be very shallow, and it doesn't even acknowledge that there are cut off dates and requirements, and just in my opinion adds more fuel to the fire.

Welfare is temporary. Redneckism is forever.
-A Pen Name

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:04 pm »
And yes, one can clearly see that it was made in a haste. In the MS one, it seems to be a bit more in depth, this one seems to be very shallow, and it doesn't even acknowledge that there are cut off dates and requirements, and just in my opinion adds more fuel to the fire.

Welfare isn't temporary, if you listen to conservatives...it's like 1996 never happened, and it annoys me to no end that welfare myths never seem to end, it's really sad when you see "liberals" buy into the shit also.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »

Welfare isn't temporary, if you listen to conservatives...it's like 1996 never happened, and it annoys me to no end that welfare myths never seem to end, it's really sad when you see "liberals" buy into the shit also.

I’m not quipping on the imaginary world of conservatism. I’m quipping on legal reality.
-A Pen Name