Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275375 times)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:09 pm »
More importantly, who thought it was a good idea to make that movie in the first place?!

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
I watched "The Grey", which was monumentally retarded.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15:05 pm »
The new Three Stooges movie. The trio was great, even if the story was cheesy.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.

its was actually really good.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:46 pm »
And really really gross. But then it's a Troma film.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2012, 08:21:29 am »
I just recently watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hunter and Expendables 2.

I can honestly say that AL:VH was a good movie. I liked the characters, the humour and I like alternate histories and this was a good one.

Expendables 2 though... As I tried to think why was I disappointed in it I realised this: Expendables 2 is what I feared the first one would be. It was an mediocre action movie with a ensamble cast and as many explosions, one liners and inside jokes as they could fit into it.

Expendables 1 was a well done movie and although for most parts it was "just an 80's action movie" it was an extremely well done, every detail fit the movie. Furthermore despite the huge cast they had time for each of the characters and they managed to avoid making too many inside jokes.

Also Mickey Rourke stole the show with his scene and I particularly liked that they didn't add the mandatory love story between Barney Sandra. Because that is what I assumed them to do during the film, but instead saving her was more about Barney fighting his inner demons and guilt.

Back to Expendables 2, somehow I got the impression that this time the movie had clearly been made for the lowest common denominator. Aagh all those references to the movies the actors had done and all those jokes (Chuck Norris facts?! Really?!) seemed so unnecessary. Just editing those out would have made this a better movie. It's like some faceless board of directors was going through the script saying: "Lets see how many times we can get Arnold to say 'I'll be back.'"

The action scenes are good but just seem to be overcompensating or something. I guess they probably looked at what the fans were saying about the movie and then decided to put those things in the sequel and make them jumbo size.

Still, the acting was mostly good and some of those jokes were funny. It just is such a shame that they wasted a lot of potential for the sake of making a pointless and brainless money maker.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »
Just got back from ParaNorman. It was a pretty cool film. Loved the visuals, and it was pretty funny too. And, well, what can I say~? I'm a sucker for "kid is basically an outcast because he has weird powers or macabre interests" stories. Is it a surprise I relate to them really well~?
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:12 am »
God Bless America (2011) Great commentary on today's shittastic society

I liked it, but also thought some super-conservative would see it and think that it's evidence of some violent liberal agenda that wants to remove free speech and punish people with extreme violence. In other news, I'm paranoid about silly things.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2012, 11:20:13 pm »
Just watched House of Whipcord.  Despite the lurid title, it's not a bad film - a study on reactionary hypermoralism, and the dangers of hooking up with ostentatiously moral young men :(

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:33 am »

Expendables 2 though... As I tried to think why was I disappointed in it I realised this: Expendables 2 is what I feared the first one would be. It was an mediocre action movie with a ensamble cast and as many explosions, one liners and inside jokes as they could fit into it.

Expendables 1 was a well done movie and although for most parts it was "just an 80's action movie" it was an extremely well done, every detail fit the movie. Furthermore despite the huge cast they had time for each of the characters and they managed to avoid making too many inside jokes.

Also Mickey Rourke stole the show with his scene and I particularly liked that they didn't add the mandatory love story between Barney Sandra. Because that is what I assumed them to do during the film, but instead saving her was more about Barney fighting his inner demons and guilt.

Back to Expendables 2, somehow I got the impression that this time the movie had clearly been made for the lowest common denominator. Aagh all those references to the movies the actors had done and all those jokes (Chuck Norris facts?! Really?!) seemed so unnecessary. Just editing those out would have made this a better movie. It's like some faceless board of directors was going through the script saying: "Lets see how many times we can get Arnold to say 'I'll be back.'"

The action scenes are good but just seem to be overcompensating or something. I guess they probably looked at what the fans were saying about the movie and then decided to put those things in the sequel and make them jumbo size.

Still, the acting was mostly good and some of those jokes were funny. It just is such a shame that they wasted a lot of potential for the sake of making a pointless and brainless money maker.

I agree, but I went in expecting see how many references to the actors previous movies they could make, just look at what was put out in the previews.  I was disappointed in the size of some of there roles,
(click to show/hide)
.  The movie was 80's action stars, making a 80's action movie with 2012 special effects, more blood and better choreographed violence.  I thought it was supposed to be a pointless, brainless money maker and I was entertained.

Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Stick Boy

• Aging Hipster
  • Apprentice
  • Government Grunt since 1989
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:27 am »
Finally saw The Dark Knight Rises - it was so good compared to other action/comic book type movies - you actually don't check your brain at the ticket counter.  A good action movie is made by the antagonist and this one was a doozy...
I want to be unique.....just like everybody else

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:49 am »
Okay Dark Knight Rises great movie I can't really say more

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
« Reply #222 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:28 am »
Grave of the Fireflies.  I don't think I can watch that again.  That was just too sad.  It was a good movie and definitely worth watching, but it's just so sad.

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »
"The Hunger Games" film.  It felt as though something was missing, and seemed rather empty.  I'd say the book was much better.

Yes, yes, I know "OMG BATTLE ROYALE AS:FLAS:FL".  Don't worry, I fully plan on checking that out - both the book and film...and possibly the manga too.  :P

Offline wyvern999

• Apprentice
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:35 am »
"Apollo 18" and it was a right load of twaddle.