Author Topic: Elderly Woman Arrested for Fighting Godwin's Law  (Read 1896 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Elderly Woman Arrested for Fighting Godwin's Law
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
She was offending by the Nazi references and LaRouche people called the cops, not realizing the irony of their actions. 

"I just got very angry that they would do that to [President] Obama's image," 80-year-old Nancy Lack of Hebron told NBC Connecticut.

The posters were supporting the campaign of controversial perennial presidential candidate Lyndon LaRouche, and called for Obama's impeachment.

The message wasn't what got Lack so hot and bothered — it was the casual use of Nazi symbolism. "My generation went through the Second World War," she said, "and Nazism is about the worst there can be."

Lack collected the posters and put them in her car as LaRouche supporter watched. "I said, 'Make sure you get my license plate," she recalled.

http://gawker.com/5952857/elderly-woman-faces-jail-time-for-removing-campaign-signs-featuring-obama-with-hitler-mustache

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Elderly Woman Arrested for Fighting Godwin's Law
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:59:42 pm »
I guess she knew that she was violating free speech.

I expected those posters to be from teabaggers. Just shows you there are crazies on both sides.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Distind

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:47:55 pm »
And here's how you do this without getting arrested.

Speak to the owner of the property, mention that people are posting offensive and inflammatory material on their property and offer to remove them. It's worked for me before, just hunted down the person who was responsible for the management of the building and described what someone had hung up. Offering to do it yourself means it doesn't cost them anything.

But hey, she's fucking 80, and pretty much right. Fuck these guys.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:30 pm »
Screw the rules, I'm a senior!
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Distind

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
If they get to do it on the road where they can potentially kill me, they can do it to this douchebag too.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:11 pm »

Hells yeah! Screw the rules! Especially the part where she's taking full responsibility for her actions, perfectly willing to take whatever fines or any jail time she might get! Everyone, on three. Breaking rocks in the hot sun/ I fought the law and the law won!
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
Clearly grandma is menence to society.

Offline driewerf

• Neonate
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »
She is right in a certain sence. This contiuous comparison of unliked people with Hitler or the Nazis degrades the nazi-crimes -- bordering Holocaust denial. Really, you can tell a big lot of bads about Obama (or any bourgeois politician for that matter). He did not set up death camps with gas chambers.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:18 pm »
Civil disobedience FTW.

This is how you do it.  Not by sitting in your house smoking weed and hiding from the big bad cops every time you see a cruiser go by.  But by boldly walking forward, committing your act, and taking responsibility for your actions and accepting the consequences of them.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet