Author Topic: Good/bad anime thread  (Read 69921 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Good/bad anime thread
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2016, 03:11:09 am »
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!

Yeah yeah, the last post was two years ago, but I'm pretty sure de facto policy on these kinds of threads is that necroposting is better than redundancy, so bite me.

Anyway, I got a bit of a bug up my ass recently and finally sat down to watch the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movies. And the shortest way to describe the results is that I'm now 1/3 of the way through a rewatch of StrikerS. I forgot how much fun this franchise this.

The long version is a bit of a list:

* The animators have thoroughly embraced the super robot and mecha influences of the series. The action sequences wouldn't be out of place in a Gundam series if they were done with giant robots instead of people.

* The first movie is probably a bit longer than it needed to be. You could pretty easily shave off at least 15 minutes and the movie would be better for it.

* If the first movie is probably a bit too long, the second movie is definitely a bit too long. There are a few moments that are largely unneeded and other parts that drag on for longer than they should.

* The first movie is better than the season it's based on. While I dislike a few of the changes, those changes have entirely to do with somewhat spoiling the complete change of genre the show has halfway through. Otherwise, it trims the fat and cuts out the pretty gratuitous amount of filler the first season had, especially during the first half where it was too episodic. Otherwise, I like how much it brings the start of the series more in line with the rest in terms of tone.

* The second season is better than the movie based on it. A lot of things were rearranged for the worse and while I like some of the changes the improved animation brings to the action scenes, they work better in the show as a whole. Plus the pacing feels like they weren't sure what to cut out and what to focus on. This isn't all that surprising since the expanded cast and more serialized story just plain works better in a 12 episode TV series than in a 2 and a half hour movie (that, again, still managed to be too long. It's kinda impressive, really).

* The fatal flaw of the whole series is the fanservice. This isn't so bad in Strikers where the cast of the first two seasons have aged to adulthood (with the exception of one character who doesn't age, but she's not used for fanservice anyway), but do we really need to see the VERY underage Nanoha and Fate in such a sexualized way for the transformation sequences? And while I say Strikers isn't so bad because at least the returning cast is no longer underage, it does have unnecessary fanservice for some of the new cast and while even the youngest one isn't QUITE as young as Nanoha and Fate are in the first two seasons/movies, they're still underage.

* How the hell did I not notice the romantic "subtext" between Nanoha and Fate on my first watch? Seriously, there's a reason for the quotation around the word "subtext."

* That said, Nanoha and Fate are one of the best written same sex couples I've ever seen in anime. Hat's off to the writers here, especially since they couldn't flat out call them a couple.

* Despite the gratuitous fanservice, I can't help but enjoy this franchise. The strong characterization and fun and unique action easily make up for it. As awkward as it can get at its worst, the good makes it quickly bounce back. Watch the first movie instead of the first season, skip the second movie in favor of the second season and StrikerS is a pretty fun action show with more in depth characterization than I remember. I find myself looking forward to the third movie and I'm debating on whether or not I should try to sit through the gratuitous to the point where even the manga's creators have made a point to reduce it fanservice of ViVid to see if there's anything of value there.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:22:10 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2016, 03:17:37 am »
Gods, I am so glad to find other fans of that series. It just seems completely forgotten by people.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2016, 03:28:36 am »
It was pretty popular while StrikerS was airing, but yeah, it seems like it lost a lot of momentum since. While I'm not sure if I'll bother watching ViVid because I've seen enough pedophilic fanservice in the series, I do hope it's successful so we can hopefully get more of what makes it good; namely the character writing and action scenes.
Who needs a signature?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2016, 08:33:11 am »
Sweetness and Lightning is utterly adorable and also teaches you recipes. :)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2016, 02:07:21 am »
Watched some rather interesting anime recently, including Berserk (NOT for the squeamish).

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2016, 04:10:52 am »
I've been hearing about Berserk (manga and anime) for years now. Read a bit of it but lost my attention for some reason or other. Or it could have been that I didn't want to read it while my kids are looking over my shoulder and then forgot about it.

Also, the FB group for Shadowrun reminded me of Riding Bean. It really is a good little OVA even though it is ridiculously 80s and the main character should be a physical Adept in Shadowrun (hence why it was brought up in the first place.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:22 pm »
Thanks to some gentle nudges by Sigma, I've been watching the 2nd Hunter X Hunter anime.  I'm into the Greed arc, and I'm loving it.

Gon and Killua are precious little cinnamon rolls, and I've fallen hard in Mama Bear with them.  I just want to protect them--and then Killua goes full-Zoldyck and I remember that these boys don't need protection and aren't as innocent as they look.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2016, 01:37:43 pm »
I've read a bit of the Hunter X Hunter manga. Haven't finished it yet or seen the animes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2017, 02:37:06 am »
I PERFORM NECROMANCY ON THIS THREAD! ANIME NECROMANCY!

This was brought up elsewhere and if you haven't watched Konosuba yet I suggest you give it a chance.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sZAPBIcQM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sZAPBIcQM</a>

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »
It was brought up because people are stalking my tumblr and I kept asking what the series was about.

Ironbite-now I know I can either watch it or ignore it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »
Yuri on Ice.  That is all.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:18 am »
I have a buddy who is (among other things) obsessed with Yuri on ice.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2017, 09:34:41 am »
With good reason; its right up there with One-Punch Man in terms of quality.  Story's different, mind, but still damned good.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:47 pm »
I've almost finished HunterXHunter (holy fucked-up scary ant-creatures, Batman!!) and have nearly caught up with my newest obsession:  Dragonball Super.

I need a Beerus action figure so badly.
--Sanda

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
Waiting for the Super dub, myself.  Sorry, but having an elderly Japanese woman voicing at least two fully-grown, adult men is far too jarring an experience to be enjoyable, for me.