Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 66615 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 09:42:15 pm »
I dislike it when people thank God when the credit really belongs to someone else.

Or worse, when they try to take credit for it by mentioning that they were praying for God's intervention.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 12:14:50 am »
When they talk about being a minority, I think they may be refering to the "True Christians".  In other words, the ones who aren't BATSHIT CRAZY like them. 

"Salvation comes through faith, not works."  ::)

*addressing a hypothetical fundie*

First, if you're saying that, you're arguing that you have a literal God-given right to be an asshole.  What does that say about your strength of character?

Second, if you're saying that now, why don't you try saying it when your church passes around the collection plate?  I suspect that your priest will inform you that tithing is a good work that is required, after all.

Third, and arguably most of all, you faithful few only seem to apply that "works don't matter" litany about yourselves (see point #1).  If it is true that all a believer needs to do to get off God's shit list is believe, then it shouldn't matter what music you like, or what movies you watch, or with whom/how often/in what positions you have sex, or whether/how often you drink alcohol, or anything else of the sort.  Yet, when the subject of various "immoral" activities comes up, it seems to be people like you who complain the loudest about how we need to stop causing the world to fall apart by means of our "immorality". ::)

That's the biggest mindfuck when it comes to evangelical Christians.  They complain about sin and all that, but apparently all you need is Jesus (which makes no sense anyway).  The best explaination I've heard (and that's not saying much) is that somehow good works are proof that you are saved.  So if you're "truely saved", you'll see it in your works.  However that still raises many other questions regarding free will and all that. 

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:53 am »
Also, any time someone claims that God regularly speaks to them as if it was some casual thing, like "I was going to preach a different sermon, but the Holy Spirit kept telling me..."

This. I love my Christian friend to pieces, but she dropped out of her first college and recently broke up with her first boyfriend (who was genuinely in love with her) because "I talked to God and he told me to." Even when I was Catholic I didn't believe that God spoke to you. I remember trying to get God to talk to me before realizing I was simply supplying the answers myself.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 03:46:19 am »
Also, any time someone claims that God regularly speaks to them as if it was some casual thing, like "I was going to preach a different sermon, but the Holy Spirit kept telling me..."

This. I love my Christian friend to pieces, but she dropped out of her first college and recently broke up with her first boyfriend (who was genuinely in love with her) because "I talked to God and he told me to." Even when I was Catholic I didn't believe that God spoke to you. I remember trying to get God to talk to me before realizing I was simply supplying the answers myself.

that's just sad.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:52 am »
Found a new one: "If Evolution is true, why help the poor?"

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:24 am »
Gee, what could a species that, largely through learning to co-operate with astronomical numbers of each other, went on to totally and irreversably dominate the entire world, possibly stand to gain by helping each other? It's a fucking mystery, I tells ya!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:59:22 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 05:52:02 am »

If algebra is true, then why eat vegetables?

(Answer: Because you hate yourself.)
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:07 am »

Why not help the poor?
-A Pen Name

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:52 am »
I dislike it when people thank God when the credit really belongs to someone else.

Or worse, when they try to take credit for it by mentioning that they were praying for God's intervention.

Yeah, that one's worse.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 10:46:18 am »

The logic of that statement...just kills my brain.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:24 am »

Except they don't want to help the poor anyway, so...

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
I don't like ANY of the common shit-eatingly-superior, holier-than-thou, smug religious phrases that get bandied about (primarily by Christians, it seems, but that may be to do with my exposure rather than any legitimate trend), few of them annoy me as much as these: 'I'll pray for you', 'I hope you open your heart/mind', and 'Come to the light/truth'. Or anything based on them. They just make my 'STFU and GTFO' meter ratchet off the charts.

It isn't JUST that they're invariably said with the kind of smug self-righteousness of a person arrogantly convinced against all evidence that their view and theirs alone is the right one--it's what's implied. Implied is that not only do I not know any better (and you clearly know much better regardless of your educational background and knowledge base), but that your wish is not for me to be more open-minded and accepting but that my actual brain function is re-programmed to suit YOUR opinions. You don't want me to understand your point of view--you want me to ADOPT it for MYSELF and you're going to ask your all-powerful imaginary friend to do it TO ME, whether I want it or not, potentially against my will. Actually altering the way I think and the way my mind works.

That makes you an asshole, and an insecure one who can't tolerate the existence of different opinions, at that.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »
From my experience, a good majority of religious phrases are said with such smugness and unwarranted self-righteousness that it makes your teeth grind. "God has reveal the answer to you, you just have to listen" I've been listening fool! Why don't you listen?!
"Scientists don't agree on evolution" - no, fool, scientist don't agree on the individual aspects of evolution. Their are mountains of evidences that says scientist agree with evolution.
I'v heard one "professor" (even though he wasn't) say "I'm a biologist so I know evolution is false". Of course there were several other biologists on the blog that disagreed with him.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 12:38:21 pm »
Using the existence of professional disagreement with regard to the minute details of evolution as 'proof' that it's made up or never occurred is pretty pointless when there are mountains of evidence pointing to the exact same conclusion.

It's like asking the guests of a party to write as detailed a play-by-play summary of it as they can after the fact, and then pointing to the differences in the eyewitness testimony as 'proof' that the party never happened at all and ignoring the people passed out on the sofa, the property damage, the police reports, the food/drink consumed and spilled, and all the other evidence left by the party and guests.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »
I hate all Christspeak as I like to call it.  It's all so pretentious, so condescending, and so "righteous" sounding.  As if they are not talking to you but at you.  Here's one from an "ex gay" I found up on youtube that's full of that spooky, "mysterious" sounding language that just makes Christians look stupid and annoying.

So it offends you that I constantly rebuke you as you travel to different sites to attack gays, and even children who are expressing their pain. You are too often the source of that pain, which is why you need to be condemned. You are constantly condemning others to hell, and attacking decent people. Then have the audacity to criticize them because they used a curse word. You are a curse, and care little about the language these kids use,. You seek only to harrass them.

Words like "rebuke", "Curse" and "condemn" because they are used in bible translations and they think that talking like a bible makes them more holy or something.  I think it makes them sound like a fuckin' douchebag myself.