Author Topic: NY Passes Gun Control  (Read 33236 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: NY Passes Gun Control
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:38 am »
What I mean is for instance the NRA wrote a bill which says that gun shops don't have to take inventory.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: NY Passes Gun Control
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
The NRA is far from perfect, and a lot of what they do is stuff that I take serious issue with, such as that. But they have also managed to do some good for people, such as suing the city of New Orleans to return citizen's illegally confiscated firearms after Hurricane Katrina as well as being one of the largest providers of firearms safety courses in the USA. If anything, the NRA should be involved in drafting new firearms so long as we can ignore the plain old silly suggestions. However, Stormwarden is absolutely correct in that there are a huge number of firearm laws already in existence in the USA that go ignored because they are unenforced. We need a better funded and directed ATF with a larger number of ATF agents to really make sure these laws are obeyed.

Also, as a side note, I found this website to be quite enlightening. It details a lot of the facts surrounding gun control laws including the results on crime before and after right to carry laws were introduced and how they match up with the national average, as well as showing evidence that the far right's claims that "registration always leads to confiscation" aren't entirely without merit after what happened in Great Britain (though I still think they're nuts), and the debates the Supreme Court had during the D.C. v Heller case as well as the McDonald v Chicago case. It does an excellent job in breaking down the arguments to just the facts and is well worth a read.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen