Author Topic: NY Passes Gun Control  (Read 33238 times)

QueenofHearts

Re: NY Passes Gun Control
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:36 am »
Fair enough, tis my mistake for using various legal dictionaries the latest of which published in 2010.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:35 am »
Caerbannog: That I can understand and respect. I recall the facts of what happened at the elementary school, and I will say this: The perp's mom breached her responsibility. She knew her son was mentally ill, so much so that she was about to have him committed. At that moment, those guns needed to be sent elsewhere. Into a storage locker, turned over to law enforcement for safe keeping (cops can be surprisingly accommodating when the catch wind of a public safety concern), put into a safe deposit box at the bank, or even just at a friend's house where they can be well and truly locked away.

As I said in an earlier thread, in all fairness to her, not many parents expect to be shot in the head in their sleep by their own kids. That doesn't change the fact that she saw him as a genuine danger to himself and others. Guns aren't toys. Every gun owner on this forum understands that one simple truth. There is a responsibility with the gun that demands that the gun be respected, and by the same token, the safety of all those around the owner must be respected as well. I keep my guns locked up for a very good reason.

Here's the point, Caerbannog: I dare say that proper firearm education and training will save a hell of a lot more lives than any assault weapons ban or that bullet limit. Keep the registration, keep the licensing, but at least have the common courtesy to do some damned homework before you make those kind of laws so good responsible people don't get dicked over because you wanna score some brownie points with voters.

If I had to make a limit? 10, at least, and 15 would work best. Good eye, Sylvana. The M1911 only has an 8-round clip.

As for the Franklin quote, even if it is a discussion for another thread: Are we really safer or more free with the "PATRIOT" Act? Or the TSA? Or with the DHS? I say we're not. And if anything, the poor handling of those agencies make Ben Franklin's quote all the more relevant.

"Those who trade liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 02:32:38 am »
Fair enough, tis my mistake for using various legal dictionaries the latest of which published in 2010.

An understandable mistake; McDonald v. Chicago didn't happen until 2010, likely after those books were published.

Personally, the only thing I have an issue with is the magazine size part of the law. I understand where it is coming from, but it is stupidly restrictive uneducated and pointless. The thing is, the single most deciding factor in mass shootings has been magazine size, so I can see why they are trying to do this, but 7 is just too stupidly restrictive. I would have made it 15 at most, as that should accommodate most semi-automatic pistols.

I have to agree with you here: 15 or 17 would be the optimal numbers. Or, barring that, I'd say limit mags sizes to no more than what can be comfortably fit inside the grip without the magazine protruding. Or, in the case of pistols like the FN Five-seveN, no more than 15. It's chambered in 5.7x28mm and it can hold 20 rounds without the standard magazine protruding.

The rest seems perfectly reasonable. (Although I admit I really don't like grandfather clauses.)
With regards to how quickly it was rammed through, I would say the primary reason behind that is how toxic gun control laws are treated in America. If it was allowed to follow the usual channels the usual mud-slinging backed by the NRA would result in nothing happening as usual. This is probably the only way to pass legislation on socially toxic concerns.

For the most part I agree, aside from back-ground checks to purchase ammo and the basic ban on "assault weapons." It's reasonability depends entirely on how much you know of firearms and the stats behind them. I've pointed out before that rifles of all types combined in the USA account for less murders or violent crimes than blunt weapons (like clubs and hammers) and knives. Wanting to ban them is the height of feel-good-useless-legislation when you actually look at the statistics.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:45 am »
All the people saying that this law goes to far and fucks over otherwise owners of legal guns assume that the very ownership of a gun by anyone, really, isn't a fundamentally bad thing.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 04:10:26 am »
Thanks for sharing your opinion, Gunnerboy.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:39 am »
All the people saying that this law goes to far and fucks over otherwise owners of legal guns assume that the very ownership of a gun by anyone, really, isn't a fundamentally bad thing.

Yes won't somebody think of the poor paper targets.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:22 am »
I assume Gunner refers to - the Gunners ie Arsenal

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:10 am »
That would be correct. Confusing, I admit.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 04:54:33 am »
•Ammunition sold must be done so after the seller does a background check with NY state to ensure the buy doesn't have "disqualifiers;" felon, mentally ill, etc. Further, only sellers that can perform the background check can sell ammo. All ammo sales done to a person in the state of NY must culminate in a "face-to-face" meeting.
•Establishes a gun registry in the state. Further, judges can now as part of a sentence take away a guilty criminal's gun(s)
•Gun licensing must be re-certified every 5 years
•Gun shows & dealers must do background checks before selling guns. Private sellers must also keep records of their sales. Gun transactions between immediate family is exempt
•Gun owners living with a person who has a "disqualifier" can be criminally charged if the other person uses their gun in the commission of a crime.
•Psychological professionals can now report to the state if they feel someone is a risk to themselves or others via gun ownership. The bill states this is not a criminal/civil matter, but if evidence is given the state will review the owners right to own their gun.
•Extends Kendra's Law (out-patient treatment of mentally ill) from 6 month to one year
•Schools using metal detectors and other "safety devices" receive additional state funds

I don't have a problem with these.  Not sure about the rest. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Distind

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 06:14:08 am »
As a note, the capacity limit was 10 until this passed. And I'll admit, it's about the only part of the bill that annoys me.

But when you get emergency responders gunned down while the nation's in an uproar over other shootings, well, shit's gonna happen. I'm surprised it's as effective as it is, and there's only a few retarded points to it. For those talking about going out of state to get guns, that's part of my shitting upstream theory on gun control, and why it won't really work unless handled at the federal level.

Edit:
and fuck bloomburg's drink ban, I like being able to get some monstrosity of a drink at lunch and finish it some time after dinner.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:18:36 am by Distind »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 07:24:01 am »
You guys will be grandfathered in :(
Sorry just seeing you guys flaming my home state hurts.
Shep it'll be okay you can bring your gun. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:33:20 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 08:25:00 am »
Okay, I haven't taken part in any of the gun control debates on here yet, but I gotta agree that some parts of this like flat-out banning "assault rifle weapons" isn't really treating the root cause of gun violence.

A big part of gun control that people seem to forget is also making sure people have proper and SAFE places to store their guns so that unstable people or kids can't get their hands on them.  Do you know how many hundreds of guns a YEAR are reported missing or stolen from LEGAL gun owners?  Making sure that people have their guns secure would help in reducing gun violence by a lot.  Not to mention that proper education about gun safety, better mental health care, etc. would also stop a lot of these incidents like school shootings from happening.

Also, even though I don't own a gun, but even I think the 7 clip limit is a little overboard.  However, I still do agree with the licensing, background checks, etc.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Distind

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:08 am »
A big part of gun control that people seem to forget is also making sure people have proper and SAFE places to store their guns so that unstable people or kids can't get their hands on them.  Do you know how many hundreds of guns a YEAR are reported missing or stolen from LEGAL gun owners?  Making sure that people have their guns secure would help in reducing gun violence by a lot.
I have been bandying about in the argument lately and I have to say this is really my big target. It scares the shit out of me to know that my grandfather's pressureboard cabinet was still more precaution than a lot of people take with their weapons.

When legal guns get to be a comparable problem to illegal ones then there is going to be an increased expectation of legal gun owners. Or at least there really should be.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:06 am »
Unfortunately getting people to not put their gun in their nightstand is hard to enforce

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:21 am »
Okay, I haven't taken part in any of the gun control debates on here yet, but I gotta agree that some parts of this like flat-out banning "assault rifle weapons" isn't really treating the root cause of gun violence.

I think the problem here is that there is no realistic way to actually reduce gun violence without directly going against the second amendment. You would have to treat all firearms as illegal to even think of truly fighting it.
The assault rifle weapons ban I think has more to do with the fact that when someone looses it and goes on a shooting rampage assault rifle weapons are generally their weapon of choice. While they are definitely not used in gun related crime, and generally not a factor in household accidents, the ban does help deal with the mass shootings.

One way to think about it is no truly effective gun control laws that tackle the difficult issues can happen without taking steps like the assault rifle weapons ban. It sets the stage to gradually increase the restrictions until you start reaching the weapons that are commonly used in gun violence. After all, any laws relating to firearms are inherently toxic within the social discourse. What is needed is slowly introducing laws that continually chip away at the rampant gun worship and ownership. In 5 years you can institute something new and more effective, and everyone who is complaining about the assault weapons ban now will have forgotten about it. However they similarly also wont think the new law equates "government taking away your guns" as much as if you had tried those kinds of regulations now.

Over time the social perceptions change to suit the new laws.