Author Topic: Lawmaker Says Bicycling is Not Good for the Environment  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Lawmaker Says Bicycling is Not Good for the Environment
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:36:08 am »
See the title of the thread? That pretty much says it all. Lawmaker says biking is bad for the environment and wants it to be taxed. Honestly, what else is there? Well...

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/
“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car (others have).

Yeah, this baffles me. Honestly, I think this exchange on the IRC summed it up best.

02:29   Deimos:   http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/
02:29   Deimos:   What.
02:30   Zachski:   ...
02:30   Zachski:   How does biking...
02:30   Zachski:   I don't even want to read that now
02:31   Deimos:   I like how he bitches about how no taxes are being raised by bicycles
02:31   Zachski:   I guess I'll read it if you're going to twist my arm
02:32      DarkfireTaimatsu just sees "being raised by bicycles" as a standalone first and gets some pretty weird mental imagery.
02:32   DarkfireTaimatsu:   Feral bicycle children.
02:32   Zachski:   It's not environmentally friendly because it causes cyclists to... have increased heart rate and... respiration...?
02:32   Zachski:   ...........................
02:32   Zachski:   My god
02:32   Zachski:   Everybody, stop exercising
02:32   Zachski:   Your breathing is POLLUTING THE WORLD
02:32   DarkfireTaimatsu:   No problem~
02:32   Zachski:   In fact
02:32   Zachski:   stop breathing period
02:33   Deimos:   I love the article
02:33   Zachski:   “You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,”
02:33   Zachski:   ...
02:33   Zachski:   Please tell me this guy gets laughed out of court. Please.
02:33   Deimos:   I'm saving it to my phone
02:33   Deimos:   And my computer
02:33   Deimos:   And sending it to everyone I know
02:34   Zachski:   THIS GUY IS AN IDIOT
02:34   Zachski:   I AM LITERALLY SMARTER THAN A LAWMAKER
02:35   Zachski:   WTF
02:36   Zachski:   Protip:
02:36   Zachski:   I'm not actually that smart
02:36   Deimos:   Its
02:36   Deimos:   I think I'm gonna cry
02:36   Zachski:   From laughter?
02:36   Deimos:   From the pure beauty of the article
02:36   Deimos:   Like looking at the greatest piece of art
02:36   Deimos:   And weeping from joy
02:37   Deimos:   A guy on my kitchen rules, a cooking show said
02:37   Deimos:   "i honestly believe that ingredients are the most important part of a dish"
02:38   Zachski:   I like how the comments are almost all unanimous in that "this guy is an idiot"
02:41   Deimos:   I want ti write a letter to all your politicians
02:42   Deimos:   "thank you for existing, just...thank you"
02:42   Zachski:   I imagine they'll be flattered because they won't understand why you're thanking them
02:43   Deimos:   There's really nothing else to say XD
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Lawmaker Says Bicycling is Not Good for the Environment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:13 am »
Here are some other ideas this man might have:

If there is more than one person in a car the car uses up more fuel and causes bigger CO2 emissions. Therefore everyone should drive their own car and have no passengers. NO MORE BUSSES! SAVE THE TREES!

If you have an electric oven it takes up much power to heat your food. Simply turn up the heat in your apartment untill the food cooks on the table.

Fridges and freezers are a huge waste. Simply learn to eat spoiled food.

In other news: Is it too much to hope that after this statement he will not be re-elected?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:02:08 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline banjaxed

• Neonate
  • The lurking luker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
Here are some other ideas this man might have:

If there is more than one person in a car the car uses up more fuel and causes bigger CO2 emissions. Therefore everyone should drive their own car and have no passengers. NO MORE BUSSES! SAVE THE TREES!

If you have an electric oven it takes up much power to heat your food. Simply turn up the heat in your apartment untill the food cooks on the table.

Fridges and freezers aer a huge waste. Simply learn to eat spoiled food.

In other news: Is it too much to hope that after this statement he will not be re-elected?

It wouldn't suprise me. Hey, this reminds me when Regan's former speech writer turned congress man, Dana Rohrbacher, said that trees caused global warming. These guys just don't understand the carbon cycle at ALL. I really think that people spout stupid stuff like that should be banned from discussing anything about anthropogenic climate change at all.
Geologists are the masters of subduction

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:32 am »
I.... er.... what? What?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »
Oh look my brain just said goodbye and is skipping off to Mexico.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »
Now I KNOW these weirdos are from Bizarroworld!

Offline Southern Comforter

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/04/rep-orcutt-says-bicycle-carbon-emissions-not-a-point-worthy-of-even-mentioning/

Wow, he actually admitted he was wrong. That's a breath of fresh air these days (although it wouldn't surprise me if he was just saying that to save face).

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:28 pm »
How does that even remotely make sense?!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
Holy shit this is fucking funny.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »
The stance in his apology is actually fairly sensible.  Having cyclists help pay for infrastructure specifically for bicycles makes some sense, and by only charging the tax on the more expensive bicycles ($500 or more), it shouldn't affect people who have to cycle because they can't afford a car.

Doesn't change the fact that what he said earlier was several different flavors of stupid.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »
The stance in his apology is actually fairly sensible.  Having cyclists help pay for infrastructure specifically for bicycles makes some sense, and by only charging the tax on the more expensive bicycles ($500 or more), it shouldn't affect people who have to cycle because they can't afford a car.

Doesn't change the fact that what he said earlier was several different flavors of stupid.

If that's the intent, really, you think $200 would be a reasonable limit on the tax. No one who bikes because they have to is spending more than that on a bike.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvA6WJrYUo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvA6WJrYUo</a>
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:18 am »
This kind of stupidity should be an impeachable offense.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

shykid

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:57 am »
See the title of the thread? That pretty much says it all. Lawmaker says biking is bad for the environment and wants it to be taxed. Honestly, what else is there? Well...

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/
“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car (others have).

Qu'est-ce que c'est je ne...