Author Topic: Aborted Franchises  (Read 12951 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: Aborted Franchises
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:24 am »
City of Vice It's this British historical Crime Drama based on Henry Fielding's Bow Street Runners, set in that mid 1700's London. There was only 5 episodes of it, and it I enjoyed it(and I'm not just saying that because it stars Ian McDiarmid in a powdered wig and cussing, which is pretty fucking funny).

Just for you Nicki:  http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/C/city-of-vice/game/bow-street-runner/game.html
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:57 pm »
City of Vice It's this British historical Crime Drama based on Henry Fielding's Bow Street Runners, set in that mid 1700's London. There was only 5 episodes of it, and it I enjoyed it(and I'm not just saying that because it stars Ian McDiarmid in a powdered wig and cussing, which is pretty fucking funny).

Just for you Nicki:  http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/C/city-of-vice/game/bow-street-runner/game.html

Yay!! I have myself a time waster today... :D

I keep reading the title as "Abortion franchises", like how pro-lifers always talk about the "abortion industry".

It's a big industry, you know...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »
And how could I have forgotten Farscape. Three good seasons, then for its fourth it was scheduled in the Friday Night Death Slot opposite Firefly. This screwed over both shows, because Friday night ratings are already low, and the audience ended up being split between the two. It ended on a massive cliffhanger, but did get a wrap-up a few years later in the form of a three-hour miniseries, which attempted to cover most of what would have happened in a fifth season.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »
And how could I have forgotten Farscape. Three good seasons, then for its fourth it was scheduled in the Friday Night Death Slot opposite Firefly. This screwed over both shows, because Friday night ratings are already low, and the audience ended up being split between the two. It ended on a massive cliffhanger, but did get a wrap-up a few years later in the form of a three-hour miniseries, which attempted to cover most of what would have happened in a fifth season.

It didn't help they got fucked over their contract for the fifth season.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »
Cheetahmen was originally going to be a whole franchise meant to complete with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There was even a short-lived promotional comic for it and plans for action figures. Unfortunately, the game was a flop and everyone forgot about it soon after.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »
Cheetahmen?  You mean the Action 54 game Cheetahmen?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 04:43:41 pm »
Cheetahmen?  You mean the Action 54 game Cheetahmen?

Yep.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:56 pm »
System Shock. First game came out in 1994, and it was downright revolutionary by those standards: voice acting attached to a real plot (instead of some excuse plot before going and shooting lots of things) and audio logs and emails to tell the story, a highly interactive world, 3D environment with the ability to look up and down and climb ladders and stairs, lots of weapons (including multiple weapons in each category instead of a flood of very unique weapons for different situations) with alternate ammo types that you could switch between, and SHODAN as one of the most memorable villains in video gaming history. It was unfortunate enough to be released around the same time as Doom 2, which was much less complicated for the general public and was the only game that could get away with being an FPS without being called a "Doom clone" at the time, since this was before the first-person shooter became a genre of its own.

The sequel came out in 1999 and was equally revolutionary: all the stuff from the first game in a full 3D engine with even more complexity (but tweaked following the advances in the FPS genre to actually be playable with two hands), many upgrade paths, a plot that gradually unfolds over hours of gaming, a deep world that has a history and explanation of literally every item and enemy you encounter (even as simple as the history of potato chips and cola and specifics about the brand you're drinking on the ship), and a semi-open game that gives you a series of very open and maze-like decks filled with secrets and an objective to be completed however you can get to it. THIS one was killed by being released at the same time as Half-Life, and very few games could compete at that time.

Then the rights to the series and individual games got tossed all around the place, which is why Good Old Games only just got System Shock 2 available for digital download and the original game is still almost impossible to find without pirating it (to the point where the main System Shock forum includes a free digital copy of the game built by the modders to be easily emulated on a modern computer) or spending a lot of money for a rare secondhand copy and hoping that you can get it to work. Any attempts at a third game haven't gotten even slightly to a coding stage, and the developers will have to rely on the clout earned through Bioshock to try and convince their investors to give them a chance if they can even get the rights back.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.