Author Topic: Armed March on Washington D.C.  (Read 13977 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Armed March on Washington D.C.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
But...

There are several problems with this idea but I want to discuss one of them: If guns are prohibited in the area they are going to march into, what do they think will happen?

They are not "defending their rights," they have the right to carry those guns in other areas but not the ones that are specifically banned.

They have specifically declared their intent to do something illegal.

If they had decided to do the same march onto some location where they can carry weapons I would be ok with this. I'd still think that it is stupid and irresponsible, but this is a whole new level of insane. If they actually really do break the law then the police must stop them, otherwise it would give the signal that if you want to do something illegal all you need to do is grab a gun and the police won't stop you...

And that whole "if they try to stop us we will peacefully leave etc." Really? Do you think this will get you support? 1'000 (well 200 at the moment) libertarian gun nuts make some passive agressive threats and threaten with implied violence if they are not allowed to break the law? You are not being opressed, if the goverment stops a brigade of armed lunatics from walking to the front of the white house this is not opression, it's the only sensible answer to your threats.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »
I should point out as well that despite my advocacy of gun rights, I don't really advocate open carry except in areas where carrying firearms is expected (like in the wilderness or rural areas). You can draw a concealed weapon just as fast as an unconcealed one if you bother to practice, and a rifle or shotgun is simply impractical for daily carry anyway. It would be less stupid if they were just going to have a mass day where legal CCW holders carry in a state or city that doesn't let them do it (though breaking gun laws purely to prove a point is still a stupid thing and is more likely to get even more restrictive laws put in place in retaliation), but now they're doing something that's just plain ridiculous.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 02:46:18 pm »
I should point out as well that despite my advocacy of gun rights, I don't really advocate open carry except in areas where carrying firearms is expected (like in the wilderness or rural areas). You can draw a concealed weapon just as fast as an unconcealed one if you bother to practice, and a rifle or shotgun is simply impractical for daily carry anyway. It would be less stupid if they were just going to have a mass day where legal CCW holders carry in a state or city that doesn't let them do it (though breaking gun laws purely to prove a point is still a stupid thing and is more likely to get even more restrictive laws put in place in retaliation), but now they're doing something that's just plain ridiculous.

I support open carry laws but I do not advocate open carry nor would I practice it myself. My reasoning stems from the laws in my home state prior to the passing of open carry here. If a person was carrying concealed and their firearm became visible at any time they were not having to draw it to defend themselves, it was a felony. Reaching up onto a high shelf at the store, shirt rides up and shows your pistol? Felony. Walking along, wind blows your jacket open and shows your pistol? Felony. Kneel down and the grip of your firearm makes a bulge in your shirt? Felony. Your firearm leaves an imprint in your shirt as you're moving or just sitting? Felony. Yes, seriously, they were that strict. Now that my state has passed an open carry law, those provisions have been done away with. And what surprised me is that the law went into effect in November, but it seems very few people are actually carrying openly. I believe that only one of the people I've seen openly carrying a firearm was a private citizen.

As to the article itself, I find myself taking a wait and see approach. I'm just not sure if it's good or bad, one way or the other, I just hope no one gets hurt.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »
My problem with open carry of handguns is that while some say it will act as a deterrent, it may also incite an especially ruthless or insane criminal/shooter to simply shoot you first during a robbery or attack to get rid of a potential threat.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »
So he's a pro tea party, pro occupy, anti-war, pro semi automatic death machines for everybody everywhere proprietary and common sense be buggered, wave guns in the face of a bunch of nervous coppers kind of dude?

I haven't heard of such a walking human-shaped blob of contradiction, rage and confusion since the Bay Area National Anarchists!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 06:46:41 pm »
So he's a pro tea party, pro occupy, anti-war, pro semi automatic death machines for everybody everywhere proprietary and common sense be buggered, wave guns in the face of a bunch of nervous coppers kind of dude?

I haven't heard of such a walking human-shaped blob of contradiction, rage and confusion since the Bay Area National Anarchists!

Actually, his type isn't that rare among the Ron Paul fan base.

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »

It's actually not unusual for conspiracy types to hold conflicting beliefs, and even believe conflicting theories. Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=moon-landing-faked-why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories&WT.mc_id=SA_WR_20130501

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 04:58:06 am »
Hai guyz, I just had an awesome idea for how to stop them:

Magnets.

We mount super-powerful magnets along the bridge, so their guns get pulled away!
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 05:29:00 am »

Magnets.

We mount super-powerful magnets along the bridge, so their guns get pulled away!

Just imagine if even one of them has a Prince Albert.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 07:15:36 am »

Magnets.

OW.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

wrightway

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »

Magnets.

I am suddenly all for magnets.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 02:12:53 pm »

Magnets.

What is a Prince Albert?

EDIT: Found it. And yes, OW.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:23:47 pm by Meshakhad »
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:00 pm »

Magnets.

What is a Prince Albert?

A piercing that makes men discourage people from sitting in their lap.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »
(token old worlder)

what the hell is wrong with these people? marching at battalion strength on to the capital? actually daring the police to (rightfully) stop them? i'd get the gesture if the weapons were unloaded, but this is borderline suicide, and fully-fledged madness!

(/token old worlder)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »
(token old worlder)

what the hell is wrong with these people? marching at battalion strength on to the capital? actually daring the police to (rightfully) stop them? i'd get the gesture if the weapons were unloaded, but this is borderline suicide, and fully-fledged madness!

(/token old worlder)

Even with unloaded guns, it's police procedure to treat all weapons as if they're loaded (and often as if they're ready to be turned on the police, innocents, and/or the user at any second). You MAY avoid a problem if it's something like an AR-15 with a missing magazine and you've got an orange tip on it, but the cops will still at least stop and question you. Normally the first response police have to someone approaching with what appears to be a firearm is to point their real, loaded guns at them and scream until they drop it and get on the ground.

If this really does end up with an army of rednecks with loaded rifles marching toward a police barricade, the cops are well within their legal right to shoot every one of them dead. It'll obviously cause a gigantic shitstorm, but they could do it and it would be following procedure.