Author Topic: Vermont Legalizes Assisted Suicide  (Read 2155 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Vermont Legalizes Assisted Suicide
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:33 pm »
MONTPELIER, Vt. -- After years of debate, Vermont became the fourth state in the country Monday to allow doctors to prescribe lethal doses of medicine to terminally ill patients seeking to end their lives.

Gov. Peter Shumlin signed the bill into law at a Statehouse ceremony even as opponents vowed to push for its repeal.

The End of Life Choices law was effective immediately, although it could be weeks before the state Health Department develops regulations in accordance with the new measure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/vermont-assisted-suicide_n_3309210.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

"Pro-Lifers" start bitching in 3, 2, 1...

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: Vermont Legalizes Assisted Suicide
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
"We don't want to pay for these people to have decent medical care, we just don't want them to die until GAWD says so!"

It never occurs to them that suicide might be God's plan for that person.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »
YES! Finally another state that chose the most humane solution.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jGYAbjIOI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jGYAbjIOI</a>
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:16:56 am »
If you are so wrapped up in gawd's word that you can watch loved a one die a slow, agonizing death for no other reason than faith based law, and still be good with it? You aren't human. I've had to witness it twice in just 2 and a half years. My mom, and my aunt. Both sweet old ladies, both in pain and terror for at least part of the dying process. Needless. Meaningless. Undeserved. Suffering.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:59:59 am »
The fear is that kids will be doing this due to stupid problems.  The reality is, doctors won't let them do that.

Ironbite-good for Vermont.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:09:12 am »
I didn't even know this was legal in three other states.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:10 am »

I think California was the first state to legalize it back in the early 1990s.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »
Good!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:54 pm »
Unfortunately merely reading those words would give one the immediate impression that people would be allowed to off themselves instead of seeking therapy.

If they knew that the option is only available for people in horrendous pain who can't be cured of the illness, then there would be less internal ire.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:08:03 pm »
Unfortunately merely reading those words would give one the immediate impression that people would be allowed to off themselves instead of seeking therapy.

If they knew that the option is only available for people in horrendous pain who can't be cured of the illness, then there would be less internal ire.

No, even when that is blindingly obvious, the kind of people against it would still be against it. Because suffering is part of "God's plan", so you have to sit there in pain for as long as medical science can keep you alive. Nevermind the hypocrisy involved in seeking treatment for medical conditions if being ill is "God's plan" for you.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 11:10:55 am »

No, even when that is blindingly obvious, the kind of people against it would still be against it. Because suffering is part of "God's plan", so you have to sit there in pain for as long as medical science can keep you alive. Nevermind the hypocrisy involved in seeking treatment for medical conditions if being ill is "God's plan" for you.

I've seen some incredibly judgmental, callous commentary on euthanasia. "They're just taking the easy way out!" is a common one I've heard from both the religious and non-religious alike. The self-righteousness is utterly sickening.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:39:38 pm »

I've seen some incredibly judgmental, callous commentary on euthanasia. "They're just taking the easy way out!" is a common one I've heard from both the religious and non-religious alike. The self-righteousness is utterly sickening.

What's there to be accomplished by taking the hard way out? What advantage does it have? Or is the extra suffering good in itself?

I do not understand these people.
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »

I think California was the first state to legalize it back in the early 1990s.

If I remember correctly, Oregon and Washington have also legalized assisted suicide, but only under certain conditions. (I believe that there is a waiting period and the illness must be terminal.)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:24:08 am »

What's there to be accomplished by taking the hard way out? What advantage does it have? Or is the extra suffering good in itself?

I do not understand these people.

Possibly they're so self-centered that they honestly believe they're justified in expecting others to suffer for their own ill-founded, abstract principles. That, and a lack of any meaningful empathy.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)